Camping

Olly

No longer active
anyone got any good camping recommendations in England - ideally for a small group, either caravan or tents - preferably within 2/3hr drive of London - looking at a long weekend in July

haven't done it since 1986 and we were thinking with a drought and heat this summer, it might be a good time - as a kid did a lot of caravan holidays in lake district, new forest, west wales and am thinking something similar but maybe not as far

suggestions gratefully received

TA!

thanks for that - I will investigate further

*I don't think any actual festivals are going to happen for me this year :cry:

is that the posher kind of camping? - in teepees, wigwams and stuff?

not sure - festivals aside, haven't properly been camping since about 1986

Yeah, posh camping of type or another. I'd assumed you'd hate the idea and was having a jape;)

When I go down to visit my pal in Gillingham in August, he's suggested we combine foraging with a night's camping. Not been camping since I was kid, but I think I may be able to handle it (for one night only), especially if combined with a fire :)twisted:) and some barbequed food. (I consider myself more a home comforts person.) I hope he's up for a wee campfire drink - he only very occasionally drinks after getting over drug/drink issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, posh camping of type or another. I'd assumed you'd hate the idea and was having a jape;)

ha! I'm pretty open-minded on this - provided the place isn't some wasp/midge fest and you're not parked up next to some undesirables

*thanks JMan for the tip

I love the outdoors...going on a bonkers retreat in Snowdonia August.

Four days and nights alone up a mountain with no food. :eek: :lol:

thanks deepseadiver - need to convene at the weekend and sort this out

:lol:

Just do a lot of nothing.

You can go for a month with no food fairly easily so that's the least of my worries.

Olly, could be a spot of camping coming up north of the border in the next year if your interested?

Well, depends on whether I acquire my folks' car or not, but it looks like it may happen.

I wanna get out to the north West, so could pick you up at Prestwick en route.

Another place I fancy spending a wintery weekend is http://www.forestry.gov.uk/darkskygalloway#viewstars

Cosmic man.

Olly, could be a spot of camping coming up north of the border in the next year if your interested?

Well, depends on whether I acquire my folks' car or not, but it looks like it may happen.

I wanna get out to the north West, so could pick you up at Prestwick en route.

Another place I fancy spending a wintery weekend is http://www.forestry.gov.uk/darkskygalloway#viewstars

Cosmic man.

I might be up for that. Let me know when you have in mind. I might hesitate if you suggest any dates from Oct-Apr

Less midges in the winter man! And theres no point goin to a dark sky park when the sun barely sets!

But yeah, soft southerner, I get ya. I'll keep you in mind for the fair weather stuff.

:lol:

Just do a lot of nothing.

You can go for a month with no food fairly easily so that's the least of my worries.

Drink and water is all you need.

This is a little far for you Olly but my best camping experience was in Interlaken, Switzerland. They have white water rafting, skiing/snowboarding in summer, or just chilling out.

Less midges in the winter man! And theres no point goin to a dark sky park when the sun barely sets!

But yeah, soft southerner, I get ya. I'll keep you in mind for the fair weather stuff.

for sure

either way, it has enormous comic potential :lol:

Back