building license question

rewdan

One for the locals here.. I got a license to fence my house in back in October, I have about 6 months to start the work or they tear it up. The house has been burgled twice in the past year so I am keen to get it done but may not start the work in time.
Anyone got any idea if it's easy to renew a license, ie easier than getting it in the first place. It cost around 350 euros first time round and took around 2 months to get so I am trying to avoid all that nonsense again.
Any tips appreciated

Can't help with the actual answer, but wouldn't it be sufficient to get a few posts knocked into the ground where the fence is going to be erected? I'm sure you could get someone to dig out and concrete in a couple of posts in the farthest corners as a favour if you gave a plan.

That's a good idea, I need to check with the council when I get there in Jan to find out exactly what I need to do, meanwhile was wondering if anyone had any top tips beforehand.
I am hoping to ship a bit of plant out in June, a small excavator, a dumper and a small tractor (really just a ride on mower with a few attachments but the kids will love riding it around), which I would use for landscaping and the fence work. It's just timing really, can't ship them until the summer as I need them in the Uk, fence license is ticking. If a few poles will keep the council happy then I will get the pick axe out in Jan!

Am looking to fence around our villa, a low block wall with the wire mesh above.....will we need a license and if so who do we contact?

you should get one to avoid being fined, it's not tricky if you speak a bit of Spanish or use google translate. You get the forms from the town hall, fill them in and pay a small fee (about 80 euros), you need to get a plan of the property which the town hall will supply you with for free, mark on it where the fence will go. Also an estimate of the cost of the works, once the licence is granted you will pay another fee which is a percentage of the cost.

In my case as I will be doing the work myself, I got an estimate for the materials from Servicos Pilau on the road from Ibiza to Santa Eulalia, the town hall were happy with this.

If you are in Santa Eulalia the office for the forms is on the third floor by the medical center, you will need to have paid all your taxes as well

Hi

We are in San An area so will go down there in March when we are over next, thanks for your advice, we have a quote from a local builder so hopefully shouldnt be a problem.

As a matter of interest, and on the off chance you have come across this before: we have a room on the roof of the villa with an external staircase. If we wanted to enclose the stairs to make it internal would we need planning proper or a building license only? The walls would go on existing and original terrace and add only 8-10m2 to the internal footprint.

Simon

Hi

My pleasure for the previous advice, unfortunately with regard to your staircase, nobody knows, or won't commit anyway!

The word on the street is that you need a license for anything using building products, that includes something as simple as tiling your toilet floor.

The danger in not getting the licence is in getting caught and denounced by an unfriendly neighbor.
As someone that has been through this horrid process I can advise that I am none the wiser now after many years of conversation with locals/professionals and I come with a legal/property history so I should have gleamed something by now.

However, this is how I see the rules so far on my trip up this rockey camino of building in Spain. Don't take my word for it.

In your position and with what you want to do, the enclosing of the stairs would be looked at as an amplification of the building (an extension). This is allowable if your property hasn't exceeded the allowed amount of construction that is allowed for the plot of land and the type of land your house is on. (urban gets more allowance than rustic (the equivalent to greenbelt in the Uk)).
Clear as mud probably but I have never been one for punctuation, spelling can be hard enough!

Oddly, a construction in timber is OK as it is deemed a temporary building, same with tents although these rules may have changed recently. One of the biggest problems with planning issues is the constant change in laws.

End of the day, it's up to you to decide but to do it legally you will definitely need a licence. Good luck with what you ever decide.

another quick thought...your room on the roof may not be legal either so consider the implications first

careful now boys. each borough has different rules and regs so, for example, what happens in santa eulalia, stays in santa eulalia. check with your local council to avoid disappointment would be my advice, whether you do that yourself, or use an architect or other building professional to do it for you.

I agree with Stephen, it doesn't hurt to ask. If you do ask and get a response can you post it on here, I would be interested to know how you got on.

Thanks for the advice, we will be over in a couple of months so will get as many answers as poss then. The house was built in 1967 so I have no idea what the original plans allowed for but I believe the roof room was original though the flat under the house was originally the garage and I doubt planning was applied for......
I wonder if there is a statute of Limitations like in the UK.....ie 15 years and accepted as legitimate title etc? Will try and find out and let you know.

I got my fence posts in! yey! at least some of them anyway.
Weather was good all week and even managed one long lunch on the beach, which if you new what the Uk weather is like, makes a beach lunch a big deal... different world.

Back