Broadband help

Beckiboo

Buenos dias.

I got a laptop at Christmas and STILL haven't got it connected to the net. My original plan was to move home and then get connected, but that's been put on a back burner for now, so I'm looking to get connected for the time being.

Can anyone recommend a really good provider?

I basically want broadband for as cheap as I can get it - I'm not bothered about extra tv channels, super fast connections (although I dont want a slow one!), or any free landline calls or whatever else they offer!

I also want a package that I can take with me if I move home in the near future.

I've got a landline in my flat but it's not connected - will I need to pay a connection fee?

Any advice appreciated :)

What mobile phone company are you with Becki?

if you are with O2 they are doing a pretty good deal on broadband packages at the moment. I have just changed mine to them you get a free wireless router and its free for the first 3 months then £9.79 after that.

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/

Its not much help if you are not with o2 tho ;)

What mobile phone company are you with Becki?

if you are with O2 they are doing a pretty good deal on broadband packages at the moment. I have just changed mine to them you get a free wireless router and its free for the first 3 months then £9.79 after that.

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/

Its not much help if you are not with o2 tho ;)

From their website, you can still get it evenif you're not with O2, it's just a few quid dearer.

Hmmm - that looks good! So I wouldn't have to pay to get my landline connected or anything? Is it all done through the wireless router?

That sounds almost too good to be true... there must be a catch somewhere!

From their website, you can still get it evenif you're not with O2, it's just a few quid dearer.

Hmmm - that looks good! So I wouldn't have to pay to get my landline connected or anything? Is it all done through the wireless router?

That sounds almost too good to be true... there must be a catch somewhere!

If you havent got the landline connected Ie you dont have a phone number you will have to get it put on, but there shouldn't be a reconnection fee if there is a line already in your flat. You will have to pay £9 ish a month in line rental for it but BT give you free weekend and evening call to other landlines if thats any good to you.

If you dont want to use the phone line you need something like this

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobilebroadband/tab/18_months

but I have never used them

ive had 3 mobile broadband for best part of a year... everything worked (albeit never anywhere near the 3MB speeds its capable) and then all of a sudden in feb its stopped working... avoid (unless you live under a mast)

we got aol, went for the freelaptop deal they did about 18mths ago, no complaints although it was forever breaking down in the first couple ofweeks but it's been fine since. I reckon they are all much of a muchness and if you aint into any gimmicks the 02 deal sounds alright (remember they all use the same phone line anyway) apart from virgin, but you have to be in an area they cover as they are using the old diamond cable or telewest or nynex networks. And chow is right, you will have to get bt line re-activated, the rental on that is approx £9-£11 per month, if your broadband supplier do free calls included then there shouldnt be anythung else to pay.

Just got a phone call from Vodafoen Mobile Broadband.... has anyone used this? £15 a month for the broadband and a free plug-in thingy! But I'm worried the coverage will be c.rap. And its an 18month contract :$

Just got a phone call from Vodafoen Mobile Broadband.... has anyone used this? £15 a month for the broadband and a free plug-in thingy! But I'm worried the coverage will be c.rap. And its an 18month contract :$

no, but I can only assume the speed etc will only be as good as say using the internet on a blackberry or wifi as it comes via the mobile network and not down a cable?

best thing to do is find someone who has a Vodafone phone and check the signal strength when using the handset to browse the web. you will at least get a rough idea

no, but I can only assume the speed etc will only be as good as say using the internet on a blackberry or wifi as it comes via the mobile network and not down a cable?

yup, and like with all mobile signals, depends on where you are, the weather, how many people are using that tower...

personally i would get on virgin broadband. fibre optic cables, 10-20MB no matter how far from the exchange you are unlike the BT phone line based ones. plus you get a free wireless router!

Why not get a broadband card? In that way you do not have to worry about buying an espresso shot at Starbucks just to use the internet, and you do not have to worry about having any phone lines at home. Just a thought.

best thing to do is find someone who has a Vodafone phone and check the signal strength when using the handset to browse the web. you will at least get a rough idea

Other half has a blackberry on Vodafone, the signal is appalling, we get so many delays on messages and calls. But could just be our area you never know.....

Other half has a blackberry on Vodafone, the signal is appalling, we get so many delays on messages and calls. But could just be our area you never know.....

you will get a cracking signal if you live in a roofless and wall-less house that has no electrical appliances switched on.

I checked our coverage online and it said we should get excellent coverage - 3G. I wouldn't be taking the laptop away anywhere so it would solely be a home internet link.

I might ask if I can give it a go first without a contract, the last thing I want is to be signed into something for 18 months that has c.rap coverage and internet speed.

I checked our coverage online and it said we should get excellent coverage - 3G. I wouldn't be taking the laptop away anywhere so it would solely be a home internet link.

I might ask if I can give it a go first without a contract, the last thing I want is to be signed into something for 18 months that has c.rap coverage and internet speed.

mobile broadband is ok for browsing whilst out and about, but it is noticably slower, but it depends what your needs are etc, it might be fine for you. Chewie is right about veigin, but you have to be in a street where they already are.

Back