British television

I have gotten hooked on Gavin and Stacey, Come dine with me, and Doctor Who. Am I alone in this?

Gavin and Stacey is brilliant. Didn't like it the first time i watched it because i was expecting an out and out sitcom, whereas in fact it is a subtle and realistic (and hilarious) examination of modern middle class Britain. Plus Stacey is FINE.

Come Dine With Me is great, the narrator is hilarious. The contestants much absolutely cringe when they are watching it with him ripping the piss out of them! :lol:

Dr Who i have never understood the attraction of, perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Doctor Who was fair when first resurrected with whathisname and Chris Evans' ex.

Generally I would describe British tv as absolute shyte. Consider prime time Saturday evening viewing and it is a conveyor belt of dumbed down crap.

Come dine with me is the best thing on tv by a mile.
Also i have found myself watching coach trip lately and found it strangely enjoyable!.

Im totally addicted to Come Dine With Me as well!
British TV is revered throughout the broadcasting world as the best and rightfully so

On reflection my last comment is a sweeping generalisation! Blue Planet and such are remarkable. As are many of the period dramas.

When talking of the rubbish, I am thinking x-factor and those type of shows that seem to proliferate our screens during prime time.

I did used to love Brookside though :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bbc4 and sky arts are superb channels and thankfully i can watch telly and get all the fresh air i need thanks to emmerdale farm. 'another pint, walter?'

well of course we have the X Factor's and Big Brothers but they are all over the world. The fact is there is alot of crap but if you look at other countries TV , theres a whole lot more

well of course we have the X Factor's and Big Brothers but they are all over the world. The fact is there is alot of crap but if you look at other countries TV , theres a whole lot more
You people are responsible for the unrestricted spread of bad reality show formats :spank:

There's a lot of crap on TV everywhere, British TV included. I think you're revered for your BBC documentaries and shows like Top Gear. And you occasionally have some classic comedy series (from Benny Hill and Monty up through Fawlty and Ab Fab).

The US still rules with the hour-long drama though. And the occasional seminal sit com (eg. Friends)

I see your...

The US still rules with the hour-long drama though. And the occasional seminal sit com (eg. Friends)[/QUOTE]

and raise you allo allo !! still makes me laugh nowadays!

I see your...

The US still rules with the hour-long drama though. And the occasional seminal sit com (eg. Friends)

and raise you allo allo !! still makes me laugh nowadays!
I paid homage to British comedies.

Phrases like "que?" and "sweetie darling" are part of the missus' and my regular vocabulary :lol:

I hate cookery shows with a passion (almost as much as I hate "Friends" :lol:) but will happily watch repeats of "Come Dine With Me". "Gavin and Stacey" is really good. My fave character is Nessa. Not sure who the middle class characters might be though? I havn't watched Dr Who for nearly 30 years. In fact the last time I watched it was when I was visiting relatives in the USA.

Back