Boys Own fanzines & boxing day waffle

Robder

Boys Own DJ History book = Fascinating stuff! :eek:

For music history geeks this is as essential reading as Tim Laurence's - Love Saves the Day. ;)

It's got really laddy undertones with tonnes of footie references and bitter quips at fashion pretenders etc.

The thing that sticks out most however is the cultural shift that's happened since. This lot were really highly politicised and it was acceptable to be a bit of an idealist without having your bubble burst by armchair conformist yawnsome types that are so symptomatic of the last decade. :rolleyes:

It also starts in 86 which provides a really nice lead up to the acid explosion from soul boys and the latest must have trainers to the classless exclusivity that evolved with acid teds (complete with post acid house try-hard moans :lol:)

...and with the advent of blogs, web 2.0 (and the reeeeeally exciting recession) one can only hope that people use new technology in similar ways to these lads with their spray mount and scissors. 8)

Bring on the next decade with hopefully less minimal styley fads and more revolutionary lyrics (and buy that annual immediately)...

Which brings me onto this closing statement from Cosmo's Darkstarr blog...

So where does that leave us today? Things still ain’t perfect and socio-political awareness just needs to shift its gaze. We still live in a time of war and global recession. Is dance culture once again ready to face the music? Krivit hopes “as the money rapidly disappears from the music industry, it might just reopen the door [to socio-political conscious dance music].” Gilbert is also optimistic. “Right now we’re in becalmed waters politically, as the cycle of greed and over-consumption which characterised the past 15 years has obviously ground to a halt, but nobody has yet quite figured out what can come after it and it’s becoming obvious that we need something much more radical than Obama getting elected to make it happen. That won’t go on forever, and once things start to move, the dance will move too. Whether we’ll be dancing alone to our iPods or making joyful noise in the streets will be for us to decide. Just by keeping open spaces where people can come together, especially spaces that aren’t entirely controlled by the search for profits, we’re keeping open little enclaves of freedom.”

8)

Waffle over *hic* off for a nap. :lol:

Boys Own were one of the least exciting things to happen to Ibiza in 1990.

Obama and other politicians have no influence on dance music.

Political music is usually boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just by keeping open spaces where people can come together, especially spaces that aren’t entirely controlled by the search for profits, we’re keeping open little enclaves of freedom.”

QUOTE]

Nice little disclaimer...:lol:

Nice little disclaimer...:lol:

Hey I didn't write it. ;)

Warren D said:
Boys Own were one of the least exciting things to happen to Ibiza in 1990

If you look at Google maps there's quite a lot of land mass outside the Bale-bloody-arics...and more films to watch than 'a short film about chilling'. :rolleyes: :lol:

Your points are also woefully succinct but thanks all the same.

Google maps joke. :rolleyes:

I was in Ibiza in 1990 when everyone was going on about the Boys Own thing. It was ok for chilling out but not really suited to the clubs here. We headed down to Space to escape the mellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
and?

I only came in to spread a bit of optimism about music prospects for the new decade referencing a blog which talked about NYC. :lol:

...and here's you going off on one like a doom merchant about your 1990 Ibiza credentials.

I'm sure you have an interesting story to tell but you're a tad out of context.

I was only recommending some berluddy fanzines for an entertaining read. :eek:

great stuff Robder - If you´re at loose end, the ´mi casa tu casa´ sunday party will carry on that vibe, featuring some of the same personnel... think it´s at canal 125 but I´m abroad at the mo and out of the loop

Boys Own DJ History book = Fascinating stuff! :eek:

For music history geeks this is as essential reading as Tim Laurence's - Love Saves the Day. ;)

It's got really laddy undertones with tonnes of footie references and bitter quips at fashion pretenders etc.

I received the book for Boys Own fanzines for Xmas, great read, Parents didnt quite get it when I tried to explain what it was about :lol:

Gutted I threw out the copies I bought in late 80s..... :cry: but good memories of Ziggys at Streatham in there.. which i went to a few times

Loving the CD too.... 8)

but you're a tad out of context.
You can be as optimistic as like. I have no problem with that. Things will get better. I don't recall posting any message of doom in the above posts so I really don't see why you are saying that I'm going off on one.
You posted something about Boy's Own on an Ibiza clubbing forum so I just thought I would mention my first encounter with Boy's Own while I was out clubbing in Ibiza. It's hardly out of context.
I'm sorry if I burst your Boy's Own fantasy bubble. I was into a lot of the Boy's Own kind of music and still own and listen to that stuff from back then. It was and still is great to listen to on the radio or indoors but back then listening to that stuff in a club was like being in a perpetual warm up session. It just didn't get going. We came to rave but that music just wasn't doing it for many of us at the time.

You can be as optimistic as like. I have no problem with that. Things will get better. I don't recall posting any message of doom in the above posts so I really don't see why you are saying that I'm going off on one.
You posted something about Boy's Own on an Ibiza clubbing forum so I just thought I would mention my first encounter with Boy's Own while I was out clubbing in Ibiza. It's hardly out of context.
I'm sorry if I burst your Boy's Own fantasy bubble. I was into a lot of the Boy's Own kind of music and still own and listen to that stuff from back then. It was and still is great to listen to on the radio or indoors but back then listening to that stuff in a club was like being in a perpetual warm up session. It just didn't get going. We came to rave but that music just wasn't doing it for many of us at the time.

Thanks.

Permission to carry on enjoying it now?

Back