Books about Travelling / Backpacking

Decca Aitkenhead - The Promised Land: Travels in Search of the Perfect E

Bill Bryson - Neither here nor there

both 10/10

Harry Ritchie - Here we go - very funny account of a man's epic journey to Torremolinos, Fuengirola and Marbella in 1992, chillin' with gangsters from Romford, touring the Eldorado film set and the epiphany he had when he first heard Snap's Rhythm is a dancer on microdots in an empty discoteca. Also describes what is to be a lone travellor caught up in package hotel family hell. Good read.

All fantastic books Olly and only 1p on Amazon 8) But I was more after books about tips on travelling. Backpackers guides, that sort of thing.

lonely planet/rough guide - travel bibles basically.

where are you thinking of heading?

It's a Christmas present for a cousin. He is going travelling the end of next year. he hasn't decided on where yet.

Decca Aitkenhead - The Promised Land: Travels in Search of the Perfect E

awesome book! 8)

also try:

chasing bohemia - carmen micheal
holy cow; an indian adventure - sarah macdonald
six million frenchmen cant be wrong - jean benoit nadeau
the dharma bums - jack kerouac
into the wild - john krakauer

i've done my fairshare of backpacking & spent most of that time reading about it! ;):lol:

It's a Christmas present for a cousin. He is going travelling the end of next year. he hasn't decided on where yet.

The Rough Guide series do an Intro into different regions such as First Time Asia, First Time South America

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Guide...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228406815&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Guide...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228407778&sr=1-1

They're designed to just give you a bit of a taster of various countries but are quite good as a general overview to give you ideas.

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts

World Party: The Rough Guide to the World's Best Festivals

Green Travel: The World's Best Eco-Lodges & Earth-Friendly Hotels by Fodor's

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner

Last edited by a moderator:
Back