Black Coffee at Hi

I have Sept 7 and 14. 7th is eh with Jamie Jones, but 14th is way better with Andhim, Lazurus, Da Capo, and Themba.

Really depends on Pikes guest DJ on Saturday but that lineup is nice. Might also just be a walking zombie and skip both!

Reactions: Liv
seen you mentioned in another thread it was a shit time? can you elaborate a little mate?
My first time at Hi, had been at Space many times since 97 so was always going to be a punt going but went with open mind and for 20 Euros (tickets from here) wasnt too arsed.

Got there back of 2 and main room was completely full and access to floor is only down two narrowish channels surrounded by VIP or side access at the front left which was like a tin of sardines. Sacked that off and went to room 2 and bought round of 20 euro a drink vodkas that tasted like water, which is usually not the case despite high prices for drinks. Room 2 atmosphere was flat as f*** and tunes not really our thing so went to the small garden bar type thing at the side and again very flat atmoshphere. Tried couple of times more to get in main room even using access door from front left of club and then just headed and put it down to experience.

We were probably a bit done in from heavy Friday day, night and Satursday day sessions in fairness but def wouldnt even bother going again regardless of who was on.

My first time at Hi, had been at Space many times since 97 so was always going to be a punt going but went with open mind and for 20 Euros (tickets from here) wasnt too arsed.

Got there back of 2 and main room was completely full and access to floor is only down two narrowish channels surrounded by VIP or side access at the front left which was like a tin of sardines. Sacked that off and went to room 2 and bought round of 20 euro a drink vodkas that tasted like water, which is usually not the case despite high prices for drinks. Room 2 atmosphere was flat as f*** and tunes not really our thing so went to the small garden bar type thing at the side and again very flat atmoshphere. Tried couple of times more to get in main room even using access door from front left of club and then just headed and put it down to experience.

We were probably a bit done in from heavy Friday day, night and Satursday day sessions in fairness but def wouldnt even bother going again regardless of who was on.

yikes. I've been to space once in 2010 for Revolution but to be honest I don't remember much from the night so I won't have that frame of reference at least.

didn't think Black Coffee would attract such a crowd but it seems theres free entry from people staying at Ushuaia(maybe i'm mistaken) so maybe that just brings in the crowd of ppl who just want to go for free.

Maybe i should refund my tickets and just pay door price if I decide to go.

bought round of 20 euro a drink vodkas that tasted like water, which is usually not the case despite high prices for drinks.

had the same experience at hi for black coffee (but in the first year already). atmosphere in the club room flat and empty. and I hate how waiters at hi have to measure exactly 4cl into a glass unlike any other club in ibiza where they just pour in. hardly fair given the prices :/

if u read my post u will know that it's a party I never recommend n ull save a night doing other party.
Black Coffee is a party I've experienced 2 times and I didnt like it at all.i felt sleepy by his music n his guest.
Overrated DJ ,where are the Afro vibes?
I dont plan to go back to Hi along my summer n Closing trip (i can only recommend Glitterbox there but wont go back as done it too many times)

Saturday will be a day off this year in ibz ?

Last edited:
I have Sept 7 and 14. 7th is eh with Jamie Jones, but 14th is way better with Andhim, Lazurus, Da Capo, and Themba.

Really depends on Pikes guest DJ on Saturday but that lineup is nice. Might also just be a walking zombie and skip both!
Jamie Jones was so boring! Oh thank goodness for the outside seating area.....Themba blew me away last year. In fact, I preferred both Themba's sets to BC (possibly because the sound system in the main room at HÎ is so crap!) But Themba, another brother (like BC) from the Motherland.....played with so much passion. To see the joy on his face, coming up from how and where he grew up, playing on his own on the old terrace, was a delight! He brought tears to my eyes, probably because I get really home sick anyway.....but he had so much raw potential. I was a very proud saffa, and I did not stop stomping to that tribal driving beat. Id skip Jamie any day, but I know loads of people like him. I find he plays very base heavy, unfortunately though, its monotonous and slow. And BC has probably had to start shifting his style for Europe sadly. In SA it's a very African tribal sound.

had the same experience at hi for black coffee (but in the first year already). atmosphere in the club room flat and empty. and I hate how waiters at hi have to measure exactly 4cl into a glass unlike any other club in ibiza where they just pour in. hardly fair given the prices :/
Drinks are not worth buying. I'm sure they're watered down too. Just tasted the mixer in mine! And the "people" vibe in HI wasn't great in the main room.

Jamie Jones was so boring! Oh thank goodness for the outside seating area.....Themba blew me away last year. In fact, I preferred both Themba's sets to BC (possibly because the sound system in the main room at HÎ is so crap!) But Themba, another brother (like BC) from the Motherland.....played with so much passion. To see the joy on his face, coming up from how and where he grew up, playing on his own on the old terrace, was a delight! He brought tears to my eyes, probably because I get really home sick anyway.....but he had so much raw potential. I was a very proud saffa, and I did not stop stomping to that tribal driving beat. Id skip Jamie any day, but I know loads of people like him. I find he plays very base heavy, unfortunately though, its monotonous and slow. And BC has probably had to start shifting his style for Europe sadly. In SA it's a very African tribal sound.

Top post! Have you seen this? https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3448

Reactions: Liv
Thank you for sharing. Wanted to see ESA at Phonox in London, but haven't had the chance,

Not really a post for here, but rather moved by the video, and feeling nostalgia and loss, so decided to share this. I hope that's ok. From a different perspective, it wasn't only "whites against blacks"....did you know that as whites, we didn't have a choice to be friends with blacks during the apartheid? You just could not! My grandpa was the first chiropractor in SA. He studied in the US. It was illegal for him to practice or advertise. One day he was treating a black chap secretly and had violent banging on the door by the police on suspicion of treating a black man. My grandmother and grandfather had to hide him in the loft, or face prison themselves. It was a tough time, but I never remember understanding the difference between colour. In SA, there are 11 official languages, and plenty of tribal turmoil amongst those of the same colour. And now, plenty of white hatred, which is sad for us (but understandable). We're Africans in white skin. We also run barefoot on hot red earth....The ones like me were caught in the middle, but tarnished with the same "whites hate blacks" brush.....awful. Of course, now, there are plenty of xenophobic killings too, as Zimbabweans try to work in South Africa. It's beautiful and crazy and sad and hard and amazing and full of potential. But I had to leave. Goosebumps. And very emotional. Thank you. ❤️??

Last edited:
Back