Big Guns Go Silent

C

cjb

Anyone else notice that a lot of the Star Power of Ibiza is missing this year?

I remember seeing the flyer for the Space Opening in, I think it was '01 - it read (don't know if this was the order):
Sasha
John Digweed
Carl Cox
Laurent Garnier
Danny Tenaglia
Pete Tong
Steve Lawler

I mean, come on. That's ridiculous.

Now, we have Danny Tenaglia, Sasha, Digweed, and Fatboy Slim all pulling virtual (or actual) no-shows. I've heard that Dave Seaman is a res at Maunmission, but I don't see confirmation of it, and if not - nada. Oakenfold and Judge Jules are basically absent (wait...maybe that's not so bad). I can hardly find Nick Warren, Anthony Pappa, Sander Kleinenberg (twice at a Pinup, and then...?), Tyrant....

Space exemplifies my point: Layo & Bushwacka! go from Space residents to one or two shows; in fact, Space seems to go from the immense variety of each week's weekly "themes" last year to basically recycling the same 7 or 8 guests week to week this year - with certain exceptions (The Basics Day, The Basement Jaxx Day). Frankly, a lot of Space's weekly guests are just guests of other nights like Pete Tong's.

I guess Deep Dish, Lawler, Morillo, and Emerson have now risen high enough into the Pantheon that they are the new stars, and thus their tireless work on the island counts. Maybe I'm overlooking them. Just seems like some of the "Holy sh*t!" factor is gone. Last two years, I planned my week, taking a look at the DJs I'd see and I lost my mind. This year, it looks kind of feeble when I do the same. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I'm pleased that this year's is a more varied in terms of genre and not just sticking with the whole 'superstar dj' thing. Fair enough, there maybe fewer big names but there is still an awful lot of a quality.

i would say that the fact that the house scene on Ibiza is more varied this year can only mean that its thriving.

many of the djs are realising that if they want their night to succeed then they have to put in more than the odd appearance (Judge Jules is making more than the odd appearance at his own night)

HOME

You can't compare summer 2001 and 2003 in Space:

Wasn't it HOME&Space then? Those HOME sundays had greatest line-ups of Ibiza-history. (If You just think Superstar-DJ's.) We Love isn't same.

But the Spirit lives. 8)

cjb said:

I remember seeing the flyer for the Space Opening in, I think it was '01 - it read (don't know if this was the order):
Sasha
John Digweed
Carl Cox
Laurent Garnier
Danny Tenaglia
Pete Tong
Steve Lawler

Now, we have Danny Tenaglia, Sasha, Digweed, and Fatboy Slim all pulling virtual (or actual) no-shows. I've heard that Dave Seaman is a res at Maunmission, but I don't see confirmation of it, and if not - nada. Oakenfold and Judge Jules are basically absent (wait...maybe that's not so bad). I can hardly find Nick Warren, Anthony Pappa, Sander Kleinenberg (twice at a Pinup, and then...?), Tyrant....

Space exemplifies my point: Layo & Bushwacka! go from Space residents to one or two shows; in fact, Space seems to go from the immense variety of each week's weekly "themes" last year to basically recycling the same 7 or 8 guests week to week this year - with certain exceptions (The Basics Day, The Basement Jaxx Day). Frankly, a lot of Space's weekly guests are just guests of other nights like Pete Tong's.

I guess Deep Dish, Lawler, Morillo, and Emerson have now risen high enough into the Pantheon that they are the new stars, and thus their tireless work on the island counts. Maybe I'm overlooking them. Just seems like some of the "Holy sh*t!" factor is gone. Last two years, I planned my week, taking a look at the DJs I'd see and I lost my mind. This year, it looks kind of feeble when I do the same. Maybe I'm just getting old.

It was the first year of We Love Sundays in 2001, I was at the Opening Party you mentioned and the line-up was Tongy and Tenaglia on terrace and Sasha inside. The Closing Party was meant to be Danny T, but due to Sept 11th he pulled out so it was Laurent Garnier, Coxy and Lalwer and Digweed inside. I think the list of DJs that you posted you have combined the Opening and the Closing Parties cos I was at both and they were definitely the line-ups.

But anyway, who cares if people like Sasha, Digweed etc aren't in Ibiza much this year, things change, people move on, I already have idea of most of the nights I'll be doing in Ibiza on my holidays and some of the DJs I'm going to see include the likes of Masters at Work, Tony Humphries, Kerri Chandler, Danny Krivit, Deep Dish, Groove Armada, Derrick Carter, Erick etc etc, it they aren't the big guns then I don't know who are.

Im very happy! Oakenford, Tiesto and Paul Van Dyk under the same room on the 7th of August - Im certainly not frustrated, and if they arent the "cream" of DJ´s (litterally hihi) - then who are???

depends on what you like i guess, personally i wont be missing either Danny T nor Sasha this year..........

It’s not necessarily a bad thing - maybe it might make some room for some new DJ talent to get noticed. Instead of the entire industry being obsessed with over priced and over rated (IMO) so called superstar dj’s

Those HOME sundays had greatest line-ups of Ibiza-history

:D

amen to that comment - it was like homelands every sunday that summer ;-)

what we see is a definite move to House from Trance - which can only be a good thing. Less prog, more tunes (and that coming from a die hard prog fan - listening to kissfm diggers right now anyone realise you can listen to back issues of his show now? http://www.johndigweed.com - check out the nick muir mix - TOPS)

i think its great news cos it finally allows some younger DJs into the scene.

it is really quite shocking the control exhibited by some of the big names - i've got ibiza "greatest mega hits ever compilations" from judge jules from 8 years ago - and he's still doing the same - it seems like the same 20 DJs are blocking all other newer ones from coming through.

this summer i am so looking forward to MYNC project on terrace at cream and james zabiela at space (roll on sunday!) (oh and Dj vibe at carl cox ;-)

To be honest, its good that other DJs are gettin a chance to play. Good to see Francois K, D Carter etc all playin at space.

It would be boring if sasha was to play every week!

Ibiza-girlie said:
I think Sasha is overall overrated and boring.......well thats just me 8)

I agree – although I’d rather listen to him than Digweed. Having said that, their Northern Exposure CD was pretty impressive.

I'm literally seeing my 3 favourite DJs in the world while I'm there so no complaints here :)

Satoshi Tomiie
Erick Morillo
PvD

I have no comp[laints either. Morillo and Lawler at space...nuff said!!!

To be honest, the ressies at space are quality...you don't always need big names!

Ibiza-girlie said:
I think Sasha is overall overrated and boring.......well thats just me 8)

Sasha in the Renaissance days in Mansfield :D

Sasha in Space zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Barbie said:
cjb said:

Sasha
John Digweed
Carl Cox
Laurent Garnier
Danny Tenaglia
Pete Tong
Steve Lawler

It was the first year of We Love Sundays in 2001, I was at the Opening Party you mentioned and the line-up was Tongy and Tenaglia on terrace and Sasha inside. The Closing Party was meant to be Danny T, but due to Sept 11th he pulled out so it was Laurent Garnier, Coxy and Lalwer and Digweed inside. I think the list of DJs that you posted you have combined the Opening and the Closing Parties cos I was at both and they were definitely the line-ups.

But anyway, who cares if people like Sasha, Digweed etc aren't in Ibiza much this year, things change, people move on, I already have idea of most of the nights I'll be doing in Ibiza on my holidays and some of the DJs I'm going to see include the likes of Masters at Work, Tony Humphries, Kerri Chandler, Danny Krivit, Deep Dish, Groove Armada, Derrick Carter, Erick etc etc, it they aren't the big guns then I don't know who are.

No, I know it's good to get new blood in. I'm all for it. I guess it's different coming from L.A., where we never get to see the guys I'm talking about - maybe once a year or two. Whereas, at parties like Doc Martin's WAX and Marques Wyatt's Deep, we get to see MAW, Humphries, Chandler, Krivit, Derrick Carter - all the old school guys - all the time. It would be even more noticeable if I was from NY. I guess fair is fair....all the Euros in the house are probably Sasha'd and Digweed-ed out.

This year has really taken on a strong house vibe. Must have been what it was like in '98. Good music, for sure, but I hope it's not too garage-ey.

Back