Big Chill 09

10 years ago I would've agreed, (Belfast, The Box and Satan are some of my most pleasurable smoky student memories) but Orbital have done nothing for years, their solo careers have stagnated and they are obviously reforming for $$$ If this is as ambitious as the Big Chill is getting these days then they're not going to break even - the big chill was always more edgy and picking a bona fide crowd pleaser from the past isn't pushing boundaries, imo. Having said that, it might scare off some of the Hoxton skinny jeans crew who infiltrated the festival last year, and that can never be a bad thing..

I seen this last week but forgot to post it,im definitely there for this, Orbital are IMO the undisputed kings of dance music, no one can compare to them especially live.

10 years ago I would've agreed, (Belfast, The Box and Satan are some of my most pleasurable smoky student memories) but Orbital have done nothing for years, their solo careers have stagnated and they are obviously reforming for $$$ If this is as ambitious as the Big Chill is getting these days then they're not going to break even - the big chill was always more edgy and picking a bona fide crowd pleaser from the past isn't pushing boundaries, imo. Having said that, it might scare off some of the Hoxton skinny jeans crew who infiltrated the festival last year, and that can never be a bad thing..

I've only been to the one, but I always got the impression it was more about chilling to good music, irrespective of being edgy, cool, ambitious whatever. I mean Leonard Cohen last year was perfect.

If it sounds good, its good to me.

dont you mean...

Orbital are IMO the undisputed kings of dance music, no one can compare to them especially live.

images

And what about Sebastien and Tarquin?!:lol:

Glasto is the only place to escape them really...Even the supposedly edgy festies like Exit in Eastern Europe are completely overrun by Hooray Henry and his entourage.

I went to the big chill this year and last but won't be back next year

2007 - was brilliant - highlights - hijacking the site radio portacabin; seeing the geniuses that are prins thomas and karizma; 'white sugar coated' breakfasts; amazing rampling balearic sunset where every track featured the word 'sun', brilliant mates, brilliant crowd; Fat Tuesday area was fantastic as was ashley beedle closing set

2008 - bit of a letdown; had barely recovered from Ibiza; different mates; it rained a lot; cold; music wasn't as good; ron trent never showed up; joe clausell had a hissy fit with the soundman; ame were on too early; mighty boosh were terrible; camille was amazing - kooky sexy french chanteuse with echoes of Bjork but by the Sunday was jaded; jamie woon - real talent, but everyone's too monged at midday - just farcially organised; a lot more k around than previous year, meaning mood felt different - difficult to explain really. Greg Wilson's rizla area was fenced off, which wound everyone up and it basically wasn't the same; justin robertson = DIRE

next year's festie action is probably gonna be in croatia at end of august - fancy change of scenery and I want to get there before the masses clock it

The Hartnoll brothers are Big Chill regulars from way way way back in the day. There wont be any complaints from the punters there

Olly, your tuesday comedown posts always give of a right laugh. Keep them up mate.

ok, the saturday was ok-ish for sunshine but then there was a wasp infestation, which got silly - the site apparently sent a wasp nest exterminator around but he cdn't find the nest! :x

I'm not bashing Orbital - like I say, I'm a fan. I just think the Big Chill brand in London has built up a rep with cutting edge bookings and the festie for me is letting the side down - given a choice I would go to bestival or bloom now. I appreciate it's hard for Katrina and the team because it does attract a broad coalition of full on ravers and organic tofu-eating yummy mummys and it's hard to keep everyone happy.

Anyway, you're guaranteed a laugh, it was alright.. - had fun at the fair - Greg W never disappoints, and Stuart Patterson was next-level class. It was just a bummer it was on straight after ibiza (ie 36 hours!) and also following the year before

Olly, your tuesday comedown posts always give of a right laugh. Keep them up mate.

:D:oops:

I was there til the Sunday morning too, when i had to bail!! Had a load of colour from the Friday & Saturday, remember it being pretty damn hot too, just looked at the photos, all blue sky!! Didn't it only start raining during Roisin's set, and that if my memory serves me correct, added to it! Sayin that, i was starting to feel a little funny by then!

Was my 1st time, really enjoyed it! Much more than i expected! True, i guess 1's frame of mind is important, as is yr selection of friends! The venue is absolutely stunning!! What impressed me most was the complete absense of scumbags, chavs & the like! Even i was depositing my rubbish!

Thought Tocadisco & Murphy were excellent, was dissappointed by Claussell (didnt know if his probs til now) Ame was off the hook, and whilst it was dull with the Rizzla being shut, i thought Justin Robertson smashed it!!

Yes, would go again, not for Orbital though, whilst they deserve great credit, their day is done! Something like Deadmou5 would work, however i'm sure he'll be the hottest property on the festival circuit next year!

I also recall seeing Labour government minister, the Right Hon Ben Bradshaw MP, off his tits by the Castle Stage.

Olly, I understood that both Katrina and Pete were no longer involved in the chill. Didnt they sell their stakes to the sosho guys last spring?

Back