Benitez gone?

In the modern game it was a given really.

I'm thinking the club might be on the verge of a take over, how else could we attract a top manager without a substantial kitty ?

I dont think we can do much wrong with Kenny and Sammy in the hotseat on a temporary basis.

Cannot be any worse

Any worse than Second last season, or winning a Champions league trophy and the Fa cup, or getting the highest points the club has got. :rolleyes: :lol:

We are being linked with Hodgson and Hughes :spank: Please no :spank:
Also Hiddink is being mentioned, Id much rather have him than the 2 above.

TBH I'd much rather have the 2 owners f*** off than benitez. I'm also hearing it is mostly due to the players that Benitez is being made this offer, including Torres. I can see him being typicaly stubborn and not accepting the offer :x

Agree on the owners comment Liam but let's hope that Chinese ego maniac doesn't buy the club!

Disagree on Hodgson though. Been hoping he could be persuaded to move North since January.

He'll be next in line for the England job when Capello moves on so probably needs a big club beforehand.

Good on transfers and tactically strong. Areas where both our last two managers have shown varying levels of ineptitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are being linked with Hodgson and Hughes :spank: Please no :spank:
Also Hiddink is being mentioned, Id much rather have him than the 2 above.
Hiddink just turned down Inter due to his contract to take over Turkey next month. I doubt he'd change his mind for Liverpool.

You could do a lot worse than Hodgson.

Disagree on Hodgson though.....

Good on transfers and tactically strong. Areas where both our last two managers have shown varying levels of ineptitude.

I know were not in the CL, but would Hodgson be tactically astute when it comes to Europe, I'm not sure ? And can you see Torres staying if we went with either him or hughes, I can't !!

Hiddink just turned down Inter due to his contract to take over Turkey next month. I doubt he'd change his mind for Liverpool.

You could do a lot worse than Hodgson.

We could also do alt better.

Re Hiddink. Turkey or Liverpool FC :confused: :?: You'd have to say LFC.

I know were not in the CL, but would Hodgson be tactically astute when it comes to Europe, I'm not sure ? And can you see Torres staying if we went with either him or hughes, I can't !!

Really Liam!!

He took Fulham to the Europa cup without a team with such depth as liverpool. But I hope he doesn't go because he has done wonders for Fulham!

I'd like to see a shock in there, maybe Lippi or someone unexpected!!

Any worse than Second last season, or winning a Champions league trophy and the Fa cup, or getting the highest points the club has got. :rolleyes: :lol:

devils advocate here (as i have no EPL vested interest)

CL win - largely an inherited team but kudos for winning it and the manner of victory

FA Cup - shading it against a poor West Ham, hardly a feather in the cap

2nd last season - a sign of improvement, but tempered with Chelsea in disarray and Arsenal seemingly abandoning a few season to bring a team thru together - Man U were there for the taking and it couldn't be done

last seasons 2nd however is completely nullified by this seasons disaster

the majority of his signings have been a disaster
and take Torres, Gerrard out and its an average team with lost spent on it

Really Liam!!

He took Fulham to the Europa cup without a team with such depth as liverpool. But I hope he doesn't go because he has done wonders for Fulham!

I'd like to see a shock in there, maybe Lippi or someone unexpected!!

No disrepsect to Hodgson, he has done an amazing job. I just don't feel he'd be right for us. I couldnt see him winning the premeiereship or a major trophy. And I certainly couldn't see the like of Mascherano, Torres and Gerrard hanging around if he came.

Turkey, Inter or Liverpool? You'd say Inter!

But like you say, hes already turned down inter, so it would be between us and Turkey. He may miss the day to day involvement, the tranining, signing players etc etc.

Take a look at what Hodgson has actually achieved, and with which teams.

Coached in Sweden, Italy, Switzerland, including Inter, Malmo, Udinese, Grasshopper. He's taken teams from low levels to European qualification and championships, and managed 3 international sides.

Exposure to different footballing leagues, systems and cultures is not that common.

I'd say he's more qualified than most, and probably one of the few that would want the job AND relish the challenge.

We can forget Hiddink etc. they just wouldn't want to walk into the instability...

And can you see Torres staying if we went with either him or hughes, I can't !!

It's a sad state of affairs if players are responsible for the removal of a manager or who is appointed. A slippery slope for any club.

Also is anybody else sick of reading about players who want to move to 'win something'. Are they not an integral part of a club that hasn't won anything and therefore also responsible for this. How gratifying can it be to move to a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid for example who are shoe-ins to be in the mix and have won so much historically. If they are that good they should try and make a difference at a perceived 'lower' club, now that would be an achievement. Sorry for the rant but feel better now.

They think its all over, it is now !!

Liverpool have announced manager Rafael Benitez has left the club by mutual consent after six years in charge. Benitez, 50, replaced Gerard Houllier as Liverpool manager in June 2004 and guided them to Champions League success the following season.
But last season they made an early exit from the Champions League and could only finish seventh in the league.
Managing director Christian Purslow and former manager Kenny Dalglish are to begin the search for a replacement.
The club says there is no timeframe for an appointment, and will make no further comment until a new manager has been appointed.
Benitez said he was "extremely sad" to be leaving the club.
"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool," he told the club website.
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.
"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

I must admit I'm a little misty eyed to see him go :(
Only a little like.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a real shame, no disrepect to what he has achieved but I just couldn't stand him. No I fear he will be all over Italian tv if he become Inter manager. Thanks a lot Liverpool for being so **** last year :cry:

Mutterings now of Frank Rijkaard.

One year into a two year deal at Galatasaray, and the man who (it seems) started the Barca revolution?

Still going to stick a crisp twenty on Hodgson at 9/2

Back