Beefa 05/09/09 - 11/09/09.

Chucky

Hiya, thought I'd check in with a review and do my bit!! :)

Flew out on 05/09/09 on easyjet from Gatwick, forgot the speedy boarding but luckily it wasn't the scrum it sometimes is!! Hadn't hired a car as all the rental company websites said their offices would close at midnight and our plane landed at about 11.30pm and I thought we'd be delayed or wouldn't have time to get the car. They were all open past midnight when we got there, except now, they were wanting 400 Euros for a weeks rental, instead of the £100-200 if I'd have booked in advance! Don't fall for that one!!

Was staying at Aguas de Ibiza in Santa Eularia. This was new last year and had dropped its prices by about 120 Euros a night for its cheapest room. Its 5 star and costs about as much as a 5 star in London now, so still cheaper than the Hotel Hacienda!!! Location is good if you're after somewhere quieter than the other resorts, but with easy bus links to Eivissa, airport and beaches around. Otherwise, I'm sure you all know, Santa Eularia is a bit dullsville. The hotel itself has lovely pool areas (Germans with their towels on loungers by 9 am ever present you'll be pleased to know :confused:), really great, clean, nicely decorated neutral rooms with a decent fridge with some room for your own stuff, rooms also had really good air con and there was a lovely roof toop bar with beds to lounge on! The spa looked ace too! The only negative points were breakfast - service a bit hit and miss and the brek buffet wasn't high enough quality and didn't have enough choice for a 5 star hotel.

Planned to go to We Love... on 06/09/09. Bussed it into Eivissa and headed for Thai'd up on Calle de la Virgen for some lovely curries! Then had a couple of drinks in Calle and at the port then grabbed a taxi to Playa d'en Bossa. Had a couple of cheap VRB in Tantra and went straight in!!

Arrived at after 1am and was miffed to have missed Metro Area on the terraza. Had seen them at Big Chill a few weeks before in an empty dance tent. Their italo disco didn't really match that environment so I was looking forward to it in Space. Hey Ho! Paul Woolford was excellent, lots of fun, clanky house! Jooris Voorn live in the discoteca was a bit too heavy for me. Carl Craig was good, although played straight techno for his set, thought it might get a bit soulful or housey but no. Steve Lawler had everyone jumping with a set of plenty of retro Todd Terry influenced tunes. Derrick May followed Carl Craig, starting with a retro-heavy house and techno but quickly progressed to more conventional tech stuff, so we left. Had fun but Space was quite quiet, dancefloors were full but plenty of room to move everywhere else. Last year, I had a mega time at Space, but this year was slightly more subdued.

Wanted to make Cocoon on 07/09/09, but by 1am in Santa Eularia, realised this wasn't going to happen!!!

Got a car on 08/09/09 and checked out Sa Capella just outside San Antonio and Ama Lur near Santa Gertrudis restaurants on nights off, really worth the trip, everything we had at both was lovely. Whether they are worth the money depends on your mindset!!!

Also dropped by Ushuaia on Tuesday to pick up wrist bands for Luciano on Wednesday night. Really didn't like the atmosphere at Ushuaia at all, despite the very friendly e-mail from Joseph there. Far too snooty and posey and pointless waitress service. May as well wait for Elvis to come back from the dead. Shame. So, needless to say, didn't go to Ushuaia on Wednesday.

On 09/09/09, bussed it to Eivissa again for Subliminal at Pacha, seeing as M.A.N.D.Y. were on. Went to La Toretta in Dalt Vila for us food tonight. That was another mega place as well. Brilliant to people watch, service was excellent from the good looking lads working there not just posing (makes a change!!!) and food was top notch. Headed down into town for drinks around down Calle de la Virgen and the port before trekking to Pacha.

Arrived and M.A.N.D.Y. were already on the decks. Lots of deep and tribal sounds! Not what I was expecting, did think it would be a bit more electronic. Still really good though! Stand out tune was one with some bloke going "de de de de de de de" over and over! Anyone know what it is??! They finished with some big bleepy building tune. Then, Morillo came on, opening with La Roux, In for the Kill. He played some fun stuff and acapellas but by the end it was deteriorating into more electro nonsense and ended with Kings of Leon Use Somebody. I had tried to go into the funky room but I think it was closed??? Maybe to make the main room look busier?? Had a good night though!

So yeah, Ibiza is definitely quieter than last year (less brits, more Euro presence), its easy to get a table in all restaurants!! Its still fun though! Right, now I wanna get a flight booked for closing parties!! I say this every year!

:p

... Really didn't like the atmosphere at Ushuaia at all ...
Far too snooty and posey and pointless waitress service.
May as well wait for Elvis to come back from the dead ...
:lol:

Arrived and M.A.N.D.Y. were already on the decks. Lots of deep and tribal sounds! Not what I was expecting, did think it would be a bit more electronic. Still really good though! Stand out tune was one with some bloke going "de de de de de de de" over and over! Anyone know what it is??!
that's probably:
M.A.N.D.Y. Vs. Booka Shade - Body Language

Thanks, but it definitely wasn't body language. The de de de was the vocal, not the riff.

Ah the classic de de de de de de track! For some reason whenever I describe tracks to my friends they always sound like that...:D

Enjoyed your review. We definitely noticed it felt quieter and like there were less brits there too, however as we were leaving (11th Sep) it seemed like lots were coming out for the closings.

Will be interesting to see how the clubs and bars respond next year. Am sure they have felt the effects of the recession and changes to the club opening times this year.

Back