Beaches...Free?

JT

I am led to believe that the beaches in spain are all free, not owned by anyone and for public use. Is this correct??

If so you should be able to put your towel anywhere on the beach and not be hassled.

However when i tried this a couple of years back at Bora Bora the sun lounger guy reckoned that i was on his beach and i had to move. I had been on the beach for a couple of hours sunbathing when he started putting his sun loungers out. He then came up to me and ordered me to move as he wanted to put his sun loungers where i was.

Was he within his rights or was he just taking the piss?

Beaches in Spain are public, but maybe that guy rented an umbrella and I don't know why he told you to move.

JT said:
I am led to believe that the beaches in spain are all free, not owned by anyone and for public use. Is this correct??

If so you should be able to put your towel anywhere on the beach and not be hassled.

However when i tried this a couple of years back at Bora Bora the sun lounger guy reckoned that i was on his beach and i had to move. I had been on the beach for a couple of hours sunbathing when he started putting his sun loungers out. He then came up to me and ordered me to move as he wanted to put his sun loungers where i was.

Was he within his rights or was he just taking the piss?

In Menorca there's a big deal about it, because you can only arrive there by private footpaths and owners pay just to let you pass...

In Ibiza, most big rich houses in front of the sea have in their private gardens the acces to small, beautiful beaches...

JT said:
when i tried this a couple of years back at Bora Bora the sun lounger guy reckoned that i was on his beach and i had to move.

The same thing happened to me once a couple of years ago too!
There seems to be a designated area for sun loungers and they get really funny if you put your towel down without buying one.
:confused:

There are little coves and beaches which are enclosed in a property. In this case, they're private. But there are very few compared to the big amount of precious public beaches all over Spain.

As for the sun lounger man, I suppose if he paid the corresponding license then he's within his right to tell you that politely. But that's a lil' area of beach he rented. Not his private beach.

Back