Astoria Officially Going

that's very sad news. Had some amusing times in there at crap indie nights and probably terminal liver damage.

with the end closing too, central london nightlife is now basically:

bar rumba
the social
the marketplace
the player

and that is it... :eek:

let me know if there's anywhere else in the West End worth bothering with anymore :?:

the slightly better news (?) is what with that old credit crucheroo and the slump in commercial property values, the redevelopment of Victoria Place which would see the destruction of Pacha London has been put on hold (for a wee while anyway)

i saw some great gigs there in the 90's - i only walked out of one and that was blur

i thought that part of the redevelopment was that they would build another venue there in its place

the slightly better news (?) is what with that old credit crucheroo and the slump in commercial property values, the redevelopment of Victoria Place which would see the destruction of Pacha London has been put on hold (for a wee while anyway)

I didn't know that was going:lol:

Thank heavens for that!!!!!111

I'll sleep easy tonight.

Thank heavens for that!!!!!111

I'll sleep easy tonight.

sounds good - lets keep a club open that no-one goes to and shut an historic music venue that thousands go to ;)

mind you that happened when the old marquee turned into fookin mezzo's on wardour street

Actually didn't Pacha London get shutdown the other week after a drugs raid?

aaaah... those were the days...

smashingpumpkins_astoria_14021992.jpg

faithnomore_astoria_07021990.jpg

afghanwhigs_astoria_12011994.jpg

sounds good - lets keep a club open that no-one goes to and shut an historic music venue that thousands go to ;)

mind you that happened when the old marquee turned into fookin mezzo's on wardour street
I think I spent most of my childhood in the marquee on wardour st,by the end in 88 it was more or less a hangout for roadies of Motorhead, Saxon and the like.
And then they moved to Charing Cross Road,the curse of the short lease or the re-developer,I never went again...:evil:

Is it best to keep these things in the sweet memories bag ???

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fun show this was! I was next to a table of ecstatic men who were holding their own night of Erasure karaoke in the balcony; they started singing "Respect" so loud that the crowd joined in and then Vince and Andy had to stop their acoustic set.

Also, the main auditorium of the Astoria reminded me of Studio 54 in NYC. I saw many concerts at that location when it was called the New Ritz in the early 90s, so at the Astoria I felt like I was still in NYC. Yet there was nothing like the G-A-Y night here! And that colorful bar in Soho is one of a kind.

img046.jpg

Back