Armin Van Buuren Mixmag CD

I agree with Basher I like the Armin Van Burren mixmag CD.

But why are you all acting like a load of teenagers ....my dj is better than you dj....my music is better than your music......get over it!

As much as I hate trance (and that's a lot, unless I'm in a severely mentally impaired state... I firmly believe it's music designed for 13 year olds on their first E trip), I've quiet enjoyed the 2 or 3 times I've seen Marco V on the decks. Strange that...

i must agree about Marco V, ive seen him play and he is very good, he doesn't really play cheesy euro trance more a mixture of "tech" trance.

trance was ok in the early days - ie when it was made by hippies, yothu yindi, people like that, there was real potential for the sound in that era

BUT

trance DIED when certain Dutch and German producers started bstardising the sound for big arenas and creating sounds expressly designed to appeal to mongs with no real taste, musical education or expectations - even PVD made SOME good stuff in the early days - 'beautiful place' for instance still stands tall as a gritty prog-ish track which could appeal to the house fraternity too. Age of love and the related sounds jam & spoon, oliver lieb, westbam etc made, were all heavily influenced by the 70s experimentalists like tangerine dream and kraftwerk and also included trance elements in their productions > bequeathing us scores of bona fide party classics

....but then PVD created a MONSTER with "for an angel" and the floodgates opened and an endless river of soulless, beatless, spiritcrushing, brainmelting, yawn-inducing gatecrasher-style kak was unleashed which has basically taken over most commercial dance festivals ever since, which is why they should be avoided like the bubonic plague

the saddest story of all though is Judge Jules - he had so much promise, he had soul in his blood until around 1995, he knew his onions... but then he smelt the $$$$$ and crossed over to the dark side, never been the same since... :rolleyes:

Oh ya? Wanna bet?

My father and a little Wikipedia page about him...

bartley_gorman_270.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/local_heroes/g_m/images/bartley_gorman_270.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartley_Gorman

trance was ok in the early days - ie when it was made by hippies, yothu yindi, people like that, there was real potential for the sound in that era

BUT

trance DIED when certain Dutch and German producers started bstardising the sound for big arenas and creating sounds expressly designed to appeal to mongs with no real taste, musical education or expectations - even PVD made SOME good stuff in the early days - 'beautiful place' for instance still stands tall as a gritty prog-ish track which could appeal to the house fraternity too. Age of love and the related sounds jam & spoon, oliver lieb, westbam etc made, were all heavily influenced by the 70s experimentalists like tangerine dream and kraftwerk and also included trance elements in their productions > bequeathing us scores of bona fide party classics

....but then PVD created a MONSTER with "for an angel" and the floodgates opened and an endless river of soulless, beatless, spiritcrushing, brainmelting, yawn-inducing gatecrasher-style kak was unleashed which has basically taken over most commercial dance festivals ever since, which is why they should be avoided like the bubonic plague

the saddest story of all though is Judge Jules - he had so much promise, he had soul in his blood until around 1995, he knew his onions... but then he smelt the $$$$$ and crossed over to the dark side, never been the same since... :rolleyes:

2sbjql1.jpg

This Armin compilation was recorded at The Gallery's opening night at Ministry of Sound back in April. It was an excellent night, even if it was a bit too rammed during Armin's set.

Morbyd, what with your comment about Marco V and seeing how much you enjoyed Gabriel and Dresden last year i'd say you were a closet trance fan.. ;)

At the end of the day there's good trance and there's $hit trance same goes for every other genre.. if it's good I dont care what genre, id be up for dancing to it.

Morbyd, what with your comment about Marco V and seeing how much you enjoyed Gabriel and Dresden last year i'd say you were a closet trance fan.. ;)
See caveat above re: state of sobriety :lol:
(but you're right... I did truly enjoy that Ministry night with G & D, although the highlight was Steve Porter in the bar!)

Back