Are you into breaks?

jamese75

'Cos it looks like this scene is gonna kick off big time here in London.

For years, the breakbeat pigeon hole has rumbled along beneath the surface, more of a slowed down drum n bass kind of sound: dark and moody, attracting a purist, mainly male audience.

But, over the last few years, the scene has morphed into a funky, bouncy, party music, with the undoubtably appealing breakbeats now accompanying by the acidic sounds of trance and acid-house and the vocals of house and garage.

The nights I've been to are populated with smily, happy, friendly people, often just fuelled by a few drinks and a love for the music.

I know the scene is already huge in Australia, but what's it like in your area?

My advice to you all. Find some breaks, listen to some of the compilations around and enjoy this scene before it hits the fan. You won't be disappointed.

And if you see anything breaks in Ibiza, get out there. I can't imagine a sound more suited to the energy of the island.

jamese75 said:
the scene has morphed into a funky, bouncy, party music, with the undoubtably appealing breakbeats now accompanying by the acidic sounds of trance and acid-house and the vocals of house and garage.

I like breaks at various points in a set, but not for the entire night. I've heard Paul Van Dyk and Danny Howells drop some nice break tracks that got people moving and grooving on the dance floor.

I've heard a lot of breaks in my neck of the woods. Usually dropped at the beginning of a set as dj warms up then grows into a blinding storm of deep proggy house. Really brought the crowd into it and by the middle its full on!! :p IMO breaks on there own get bit monotonous after a while if they dont build into anything though.

I play Hard Trance and I play some breaks.

The breaks I play aren't progressive they hit you like a heart attack with crazy basslines.

I hope there will be some breaks in Ibiza!

Breaks are definitely Commercial in North America!

That's where I am

DP said:
I play Hard Trance and I play some breaks.

The breaks I play aren't progressive they hit you like a heart attack with crazy basslines.

I hope there will be some breaks in Ibiza!

Hiya DP

Where do u play in vic or are u just spin for parties and friends? Ever go to Shambhala?

Only 10 more weeks till Ibiza! YAY!! :D :D

Don't really listen to breaks as I find them a bit distracting, maybe its just me :confused: ...but planning on seeing James Lavalle this weekend and I believe he plays quite a lot of breaks in his stuff so we'll see how it goes.... :D

I've never been to Shambalah but obviously I know of it.

When you going bud?

Me and my buddy are going June 17-July17.

sometimes breaks are cool for a change. (but imo they can´t replace house music!)

one of the classic break tunes is N'n'G feat Kallaghan - Right Before My Eyes --> it drives me mad! anybody knows this one?

Hi guys, Pachagirl here, long time no see! 8)

I personally cannot stand breaks. I love dancing, and for that its trash. I have heard everyone from Oakie to PvD to BT to breaks for a brief moment, and no matter how fabulous the set may be, as soon as its over I breathe a sigh of relief!

I love breaks but I don't think I'd like to hear too much in Ibiza.. maybe some progressive breaks during a trance set, or even some funky breaks during a house set.. but a whole night of nu-skool breaks would be wierd outside of a dingy London basement club, IMHO :)

I think many of you have missed the point.

Yes, many DJ's are now incorporating breaks into their sets, something to be welcomed and a sign of growing popularity, but I often find this requires something a little more minimalistic- breakbeat.

There is also a growing section of house-breaks, with a 4-4 beat, but alternating between kicks and hi-hats more. Meat Katie and Lee Coombs spring to mind along with the new Perfecto Breaks series.

But what I am talking about is upbeat, funky music, the breakbeat merely bringing the rest of the tune to life.

I'm currently thinking of Ils (any remixs), Chris Carter, The Plump DJs and TCR and Botchit Breaks record labels.

Before this, I thought of Tyrant as breaks, but this is far more progressive and ploddy than the Breaks sound.

There is a good CD, from TCR 'Hedonizm', mixed by Ellis Dee (LSD ha ha), priced at only £5!!! It gives a fairly good, if a little harder, impression of what is in my mind.

This sort of music I could definately appreciate all night, Ibiza or anywhere. It has life and soul, sounding like a really good mix throughout.

And I'm fairly certain it's about to take on the world!!!

Anyone wanting to check out the funky breaks sound should buy Plump DJ's Fabric live. It's an awesome mix CD.

Tonight. Don't miss:

HUM: SAT APRIL 26TH APRIL, RENNIE PILGREM, MEAT KATIE, LEE COOMBS ATOMIC HOOLIGAN & MORE, 10PM - 6AM, THE FORTRESS, OLD STREET, LONDON

for a taster.

Back