Architectural Design

I personally likea lot of Will Alsops work. he designed some amazing features for our event a few years ago, particularly one which was made of a "paper-chain" of engineered laminated wood!!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...erbuild+2006&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N&start=36&um=1

Yes, talented guy - but gets next to f uck all built (unless things have changed). Like the (in) famous liverpool cloud. I mean how the f cuk are you going to build that for less than a trillion quid?

fourgrace.jpg

He wanted to turn barnsley into a 'tuscan hill village'

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/alsops-tuscan-hill-town-in-tatters/584359.article

:rolleyes::lol: theres aspiration then theres.....

That said, i think he has joined the board of a big firm who will be able to hopefully reign him in & get him delivering.

They used to say the same about Zaha Hadid.

zaha-roundup-629.jpg

very similar! same architect? I know lord foster did the gherkin. Went to a wedding reception up the top of there last year, absolutely stunning both the decor and the view!!

Jean Nouvel (had to google that tho) - Gerkin was first by a year. Both great buildings.

Yes, talented guy - but gets next to f uck all built (unless things have changed). Like the (in) famous liverpool cloud. I mean how the f cuk are you going to build that for less than a trillion quid?

come to think of it, I thimk we could only build the wooden thing 3/4's of the way because the nec health & safety guys were having kittens :lol:

historically there has always been an uproar about new architecture, especially when it is new or different looking. the eiffel tower was ridiculed when first built, as was the sydney opera house, and there has been huge debate about the guggenheim in bilbao. sometimes good design has to stand the test of time before it is appreciated.

good design is about form AND function - everything has to be considered from the how it looks to the quality and appropriateness of materials used. people constantly underestimate architects role in the uk and constantly are surprised when buildings literally fall apart. :rolleyes:

Hola,

I'm not sure if I understood exactly what's this thread about but as a big fan of modern and contemporary architecture and design I want to pop in and say hi :lol:

1. If any of you have been to any Le Corbussier or Mies Van Der Rohe building would agree with me that modern architecture is amazing and that the early XX century was a fantastic time for architects, designers and artists

2. Ghery is a disgusting repetition of curvy shinny buildings. It's good to have a personal touch, but not that personal. That applies too to Calatrava who is spreading useless bridges all over the world :rolleyes:

3. I recomend everybody to visit the Netherland's Embassy in Berlin designed by Kohlas (or is it Kholas?) to "feel" the architecture. I am still like this :eek: since my visit last summer

4. Useless design it's not design, it's just something supposedly beautiful, I can't agree more with mitsi

5. Zaha Hadid is god

In conclusion I think that architecture is like music, only the real master piece survive the pass of time

Yes,
They used to say the same about Zaha Hadid.

zaha-roundup-629.jpg

no wonder they get anti social behaviour when they live in a square death star without the cool lasers and stuff and not in space but made of bricks!

PMSL - to be fair when you actually get into it the complex (that's the outer wall/perimeter force shield on the picture) its really ok.

I had to go in for the first time in Sept - I lost my purse near work somewhere and someone from the houses in the Byker Wall had found it so I went to collect it (money and cards inside still!!) Anyway I was actually amazed at how much pride is taken by the residents. No graffiti, no litter, kids playing in the streets, but helpful and polite kids who showed me how to get to the house I needed in the maze of streets in there. Its in the middle of one of the worst (IMO) areas of the NE its a pit of a place and I expected it to be a run down **** hovel like the rest of Byker, but apparently not!!

Pleasantly surprised to be truthful....... still wouldnt live there like.. I was frightened off by the plethora of window boxes and the scarily decorative gardens :confused:

Hola,

In conclusion I think that architecture is like music, only the real master piece survive the pass of time

Nice!

C25279-b.jpg
;)

Have to disagree on Gerhy beauty in the eye of the beholder and all - i love it, also really like the use of technology - he was years ahead with BIM modelling etc to design the things.

My mate works in here, loves it - in Manchester:

bdp%20office_larger%20size(1)_400x10000.jpg

MarkB - I saw it being built, how this for image:

opera-house-santiago-calatrava-1.jpg

Back