anyone wanna buy

jjinit

some seperates?

I inherited them from my brother who moved to Oz in Feb. A few years old but in good order and boxed. I would keep them but they are Just too big & loud for the house. It's akin to having a ferrari and never getting out of 1st gear!! Also as I've gone all digital I want to purchase a decent suitable system.

There is:

1x Linn Axis Turntable
1x Arcam Alpha 5 cd player
1x Denon Precision Audio Tuner
1x Linn Intek Amplifier
2x Linn Nexus Speakers (with original cables)

anyone care to make me a "sensible" offer?? :?:

i think its such a nice kit, and i would buy it if i had the money...

but thanks anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
show some respect, your'e so immature...........blah.......blah.......blah celtic........blah blah........(something in pikey).........blah........blah!!!

(plus a large copy & paste)
LINN AXIS TURNTABLE
linnaxistt.gif
SECOND COMING David Price thinks Linn's Axis turntable is a sharp used buy.
Billed as 'Son of Sondek', Linn's second turntable design, the Axis, always had much to live up to. Launched in 1987 when Compact Disc was finally taking hold, it was Linn's attempt to lure silver-disc purchasers back to vinyl. This meant it had to outperform decent CD players, be easy to set up and use and look good. By any yardstick it succeeded on all three counts.

Its problem was its big brother, which was still held in a kind of reverential awe at that time. Why, said magazine reviewers, bother with an Axis when The Best Turntable In The World was "only" £300 more? This aside, the Axis was a fine piece of kit with many interesting features - some of which actually improved on its much-hyped bigger brother.

For example, its intelligent active power supply not only gave Linnies push-button 45rpm for the first time but varied the power going into the motor depending on the load. Clever stuff - so clever that it appeared on Linn's top Lingo PSU three years later.

The other trick was its novel, non-adjustable rubber suspension system, which meant the Axis worked straight out of the box. Unfortunately, for those schooled in the Cult of Linn, this was most uncool, depriving the Axis of a number of Flat Earth brownie points.

Elsewhere, the Axis borrowed a lot from its bigger brother, with the same - albeit less highly specified - bearing, aluminium platter and felt mat. The plinth was a cheaper affair than the LP12's but handsome nonetheless, and, together with the brushed satin top plate, it gave the Axis a fresher and more contemporary look than the Sondek.

The original Axis came complete with an LVX+ plus arm for £299 - a modest sum considering the armless Valhalla LP12 cost over twice that. Unfortunately, since it was a distant relative of the ADC ALT1, the LVX wasn't up to much, being just about capable of tracking a mid-price Moving Magnet. The Akito which replaced it in 1989 was an altogether sturdier design, but still no match for Rega's giant-killing RB300.

Strictly speaking, the Axis was never the best sounding turntable in its price range - the Manticore Mantra lay claim to that mantle - but it was a damn good second. Properly set up with a decent cartridge it still sounds surprisingly good by today's standards.

Curiously, its presentation is much closer to Roksan's Xerxes than its big brother, being tight, lean and punchy with no trace of that bass bloom and 'woody' lower midrange coloration that characterises the LP12. Speed stability is very good too, as are dynamics, and it still has that quintessentially Linn rhythmic bounce. True, it isn't in the super-deck league, but it's still a significant step up from a Rega Planar 3.

Drawbacks? PSU problems have been known, with stories of mains surges spontaneously starting the motor and cooking the active power supply - the answer is to unplug the deck when not in use. Also, the rubber suspension sometimes goes out of alignment, making it hard to level the deck. Overall though, the Axis is a good design well built.

It makes a great second-hand buy, particularly if you're that strange brand of vinyl junkie who actually wants to listen to music rather than tweak your turntable. Pay between £150 and £250, go for a one-owner example with the original box and chuck the K9 (which it'll inevitably come with) for a Goldring 1042.

Tweak-wise, the news isn't so good. True, you could fit an Ittok or an Ekos, but you'd be a fool to try - the Axis just isn't up to it. Early LVX-fitted decks would benefit from the later Akito arm, but it really isn't worth losing sleep over, especially considering Linn's rather optimistic pricing of the latest Akito II! No, turntable fettlers look elsewhere, the Axis is happiest simply playing music, something it does rather well, and with the absolute minimum of fuss.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/linnaxistt.html

Back