Anyone been to Thailand?

K

kvan6

I am planning a trip to Thailand in late February - early March. Any advice on where to go, how much time I need, money, transportation music scene, etc.? Absolutely anything would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kelly

come on someone must have been there, again i've been wanting to go but i haven't, watching the film 'the beach' it has got me amazed on thailand and its beautiful beaches and islands!!!

My exprience of thialand is 10 years old so doubt it would be very much use.

The best advice i can give is that if you go for a ride, sitting on the neck of an elephant, wear long trousers. Behind an elephants ears is a messy place to put your legs.

Hi kvan6, robo

Thailand is a very beautiful country, very lush, many islands and beaches to explore. I personally would get straight out of Bangkok asap. I can't tell you exactly where to go cause you have to find on your own once you get there. (There are many many travellers like you who will be happy to help, give directions, etc.)

Some things are a must like:

Rent kayaks and explore the coast and some of the closer islands. Some islands are hard to get to but these ones are the best and some you cant go to b/c of government blah, blah, blah. You will find amazing beaches and caves that you can only find by the water.

Definitely try to visit Cambodia. The Buddist Temples of Ankor are a must. If you go during either of the winter or summer solstice you will see the sun set right behind the middle tower of the temple. :eek: 8) The fact that this happens in perfect symetry on that day and only that day proves that ancient civilization knew much more about space, time and higher math. It is truely amazing!

And of course the full-moon parties...!!! :twisted:

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh and its cheap once you get there. You can live like a king on $10-15 a day. Transport many forms: bus, bike, moped (if you are really crazy), or train. Flights within country and neighbouring Cambodia are quite cheap. Sometimes can be hassle though. Buses are packed and old. Be prepared!!!

im also going in april next year with my girlfriend....
2 nights in bangkok and then flying down to Ko Samui...
Ko Pagnan is right next to Samui and we will be there on the 16th
of april for the full moon party ....cant wait

I don't think it's fair to say "get the f*ck outa Bangkok etc".

Stayed there early this year for 3 nights, and it's definately one of those places you "must visit at least once". I'm sure it wasa very different not too long back but it's still amazing, not sure about clubbing tho!!

The people are mad as hatters, or so they have you believe, stop and look at a map and you are surrounded by a dozen people trying to make a quick buck 1 way or another!!

Hard to describe Bankok, yes it's seedy, yes it's cheap, even now Kowsan Road has to be visited, as does Pat Pong, as do the temples etc.

I would love to spend more time in rural Thaliand and Vietnam esp, but I would recommend the big B definately for a few nights at least.

Be happy :D

Thailand

I went to Phuket for 11nights then on to Bangcok for 3 nights back in 2000. Bangcok fas fab although I didn't sample the nightlife as my boyfriend was ill. The food was great and yes it's cheap. We went to a supermarket and they had a bar were you sat and ordered very cheap noodles, soup - anything and the chef cooked in right in front of you. Our hotel was amazing - it was only a 2 or 3 star but it was like something our of a film with a pool on the roof.

Phuket was stunning - we went to Phi Phi Island and to see the caves where they collect the nests for birds nest soup which caveman drawings. We went snorkling in the most beaufiful waters I have ever seen. The beaches were fab. I can't remember the name of the place we stayed in but it was a 10 min "tuk-tuk" ride away - you have got to try these! from the main resort with the usual nitespots, strip bars markets, resturants etc. Loud tacky and vibrant! We found a place called the Safari club which had a live band on in one part and a DJ in another part. It's got a big open area with a pond and a raised area and you guessed it it's meant to be like the jungle - trees everywhere.

I could go on and on - just go and see for your self!

We went here in May which is just at the start of the moonson season but this is about the cheapest time. Weather was fab although we had a few showers which were mental. Place flooded in about 10 mins!

As i said - just do it!

Thailand

I went to Phuket for 11nights then on to Bangcok for 3 nights back in 2000. Bangcok fas fab although I didn't sample the nightlife as my boyfriend was ill. The food was great and yes it's cheap. We went to a supermarket and they had a bar were you sat and ordered very cheap noodles, soup - anything and the chef cooked in right in front of you. Our hotel was amazing - it was only a 2 or 3 star but it was like something our of a film with a pool on the roof.

Phuket was stunning - we went to Phi Phi Island and to see the caves where they collect the nests for birds nest soup which caveman drawings. We went snorkling in the most beaufiful waters I have ever seen. The beaches were fab. I can't remember the name of the place we stayed in but it was a 10 min "tuk-tuk" ride away - you have got to try these! from the main resort with the usual nitespots, strip bars markets, resturants etc. Loud tacky and vibrant! We found a place called the Safari club which had a live band on in one part and a DJ in another part. It's got a big open area with a pond and a raised area and you guessed it it's meant to be like the jungle - trees everywhere.

I could go on and on - just go and see for your self!

We went here in May which is just at the start of the moonson season but this is about the cheapest time. Weather was fab although we had a few showers which were mental. Place flooded in about 10 mins!

As i said - just do it!

Went to see a film premiere last night, called Buterfly Man. Its about an English guy who goes back packing in Thailand. Was surprsingly good.
It gives you a very good view of exactly what Thailand is like. You should take a look at that.
While Thailand is a beautiful country and its people are very nice, I prefer holidays where I can relax a little more and you dont have people constantly coming up to you and annoying you.....especially Lady Boys!!!

Thanks everyone. ..very helpful information. I will be in Asia for a few weeks on business, but I think I have made up my mind to go to Thailand while I'm there. Sounds like Bangkok is worth the vsiit, but I won't stay too long. Chiang Mai sounds great in terms of the rain forests and trekking. I will definitely hit Phuket, Ko Phan Ngahn, and Krabi to do some diving, rock climbing, and partying under a full moon!

Cheers!

I heard you better take your own pills with you. They are hard to find out there

I'm perefer to get out of the city and see the country, away from all the hustle and bustle. So Bangkok wasn't for me and that is why i said to leave it asap. That is just my personal opinion though. That city just pulsates. It is amazing to walk through the streets with millions of Thais and become embraced by the rich in smells of heat, spice and sweat!! I agree it has to be done at least once.

:)

Back