Anyone been to Kazantip?

G Love

Figured since there are plenty world partiers here, this would be the best place to ask.
Thanks in advance.

I have indeed. We were there the last weekend of July in 2008. Unfortunately, that was pre-opening weekend, which was just OK. The big opening party was the following week.

From some notes I wrote after the trip:
----
This year's 18th edition, as it was for the past couple of years, is being held on a beach in the village of Popovka. Popa means butt in Russian. Popka is the diminutive form of the word. You can get where I'm going with this, and thus understand what I though about this little village. To say it was somewhat undeveloped would be an understatement.

Even so, each summer, thousands of people descend on this little town to help enrich its inhabitants by eating at its handful of cafes, relaxing on its beaches, frequenting its tiny stores, and renting every room that passes for a hotel, hostel or bedsit. Our “elite hotel” was one of maybe 2 finished houses in what appeared to be a small planned neighborhood of decent sized houses. One of our hostesses explained that the other homes were unfinished due to Ukraine's political and economic instability.

The Republic of Kazantip itself was still under construction when we arrived. Friday night it wasn't even open yet so we checked out the nightlife the neighboring town of Mirny ("peaceful"... not quite true as we had a bit of tension with some guys whose women were more interested in us). That “nightlife” was a couple of cafes and one small nightclub, which I dare say we helped bring to life. It was… an experience.

Saturday, we stood in line to purchase our Kazantip passes and went inside to take a look. We'd seen videos online of daytime parties and people dancing on the beach and in the water, but given our early arrival those scenes were nowhere in sight. Instead, it was a chilled afternoon on the beach for us and the other early birds. [although the set-up looked identical to what you see online]

We returned later in the evening and the event slowly got underway. Only three of the music zones were open and a large section of the site, known as “Mars”, was not yet completed. Still, it was an entertaining night moving from bar to bar and dancefloor to dancefloor. We were most impressed by the DJs at the Inside zone, and by their promoters' inventive bumper stickers all around town.

One notable thing about our stay was that the people we ran across were all very friendly. We stuck out a bit in the crowd (2 Americans, an Israeli, an Australian, a Swede and an Indian!) and people approached us from all over Russia and Ukraine – I met people from Donetsk to Syktyvkar.
-----

I'd like to go back someday when Kazantip is in full swing to see what this festival is really like. I hear good things. They also get some pretty big international and Russian DJs down there over the course of the month. Check their site for listings and plan accordingly.

("peaceful"... not quite true as we had a bit of tension with some guys whose women were more interested in us). That “nightlife” was a couple of cafes and one small nightclub, which I dare say we helped bring to life. It was… an experience.

:) sounds awesome

were punches thrown?

:lol:
No... but it did get tense. I think part of the problem was that some guy's wife was flirting with one of us. All a blur now. :lol:

BTW, I hear Odessa is a great city to party in. If you go to Kazantip, see if you can go through Odessa somehow.

yeah, I've had situations like that before - I remember talking to a woman in a bar in Helsinki and a chap in a suit kept ushering her over whilst glaring at me, recall thinking this is it, I am dead meat, I've come on to his missus, I'll explain it's innocent etc

only to then find out he was her pimp.. :!:

EXIT. RAPIDO. :arrow:

Been checking out this quite a lot recently and just wondering if anyone has anymore info on it.

Looking at the "official" website it says it is going on in Portugal this year.....has there always been another one held elsewhere in Europe?
I have always thought it was held in Ukraine?

not really interested in the Portugal edition but the one in Popivka.

Is it easy to get one of the Vizas (are they just like any other standard ticket?)

Cheers

The Portugal thing is nothing to do with the Kazantip Festival in Ukraine. Either some spoof or promoters using the same name for a completely unrelated event.

There was something published by Kazantip (Original) on it very recently saying the latter, but I can't put my hand on it :confused:

Definitely not the same event if it's in Portugal.

Just checked the official site (www.kazantip.net) and there are a couple of articles about it under "news".
You can switch from Russian to English in the upper right corner of the page.

Mr. Roland Stach. He came to our village in 2005 and asked us to allow him to run a touristic business. Later Roland purchased this wall of the house at the entrance to Popovka and wrote on it "kazantip.com", the name of his website for european jerks. Anyway, **** him and his sextourism popularization, but now Roland claims to be The One Who invented and built Kazantip. And the main news – at the moment Roland is trying to convince the whole world community that everything was a dream and this year the true Kazantip will take place… in Portugal.

Looks like some guy whom they'd let develop a website for Western tourists is now trying to make a buck by creating his own fake Kazantip. :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the viZa, you can buy one there at the entrance. There's a single day ticket and one for the whole summer.

(ooh... just noticed that they're offering all Belarusian girls free entrance this year :twisted:)

I think so!
I've been meaning to go back for a couple of years now and this year seems as good a time as any :D

It does look crazy 8). Couple of Spanish DJs I met going over for it. They are very very excited about it :p.

Totally misses the point though, doesn't it? Far too much time spent over-exaggerating the sex scene. :confused:

As per usual with sunny fun productions :lol: !! Also it's from 2007.. but I guess the implication is it's meant to be anything goes .. unless those fierce looking doggies being walked along the beach by security decide otherwise :eek:;). Certainly seems it was being sold on booze and sex in those days. Quelle surprise !

Will be looking into this quite a bit more then! :D

With it being the 20th one as well i can imagine it'll be a bit more special than usual too.

News from the Government of the Republic of Kazantip (https://www.facebook.com/kazantip.government):

The fake Kazantip in Portugal has shut down! Apparently they didn't have all the proper permits and weren't licensed to sell tickets or food :lol: It was supposed to have gotten underway this past weekend.

The party with John Digweed that I attended on Saturday was a pre-party for the real Kazantip so things are gearing up to go. It runs July 31-August 18.

Back