Another Ibiza Virgin's review...

1MoreBrightonR

Hi Everyone,

I have been using this forum for the last few months in preparation for my first trip to Ibiza this summer and thought i'd pay back my debts to you guys and let you know what i thought...apologies that it isnt that focused on the clubs....

I'm 26 and have been meaning to go to Ibiza for about the last 9 years as I have always loved dance music but due to no one to go with, lack of money or other trips being planned i have never quite made it. Finally, this year i decided i would regret it for the rest of my life if i didnt go so booked up with my new gf who wanted to go. We were on a very tight budget but searched hard for flights and an apartment (£100 flights, £30 a night apartment etc) and I finally booked a trip for the 18th -23 September.

If you want a summary of my overall feelings on the trip skip to the bottom, otherwise here are my overlong ramblings on each day…apologies if it gets boring!

Me and my gf kind of fit in to an odd bracket i guess as despite being 20 and 26 respectively, we didn't want an 18-30 style San Antonio booze trip or a complete old persons trip or a complete clubbing trip....our aim was to go clubbing a couple times, explore the island a lot and stay out of the holiday resorts...i guess we kind of wanted a mixture of everything. So, here's my run down....

Day 1...
Arrived in at 2am Thursday/Friday and picked up our rental car from Auriga Crown (£65 direct from their website for the whole trip). Was upgraded to a Ford Focus but noticed when we got in that the full tank of petrol we paid for 70 euros for was not full. Went back and complained and they refunded me the full 70 euros so I really can't complain especially as we basically got what was in there (1/3 of a tank) for free. Got to our hotel in Figueretas (Aparthotel Tropical...part of the Luxmar complex) at 3.30am i guess. Figueretas was funny...really scabby and ugly and it reminded me of a resort from the late 70's that had fallen in to disrepair but it was quite amusing how ugly it was. The apartments matched the area and were pretty basic but for £30 a night, they were absolutely fine. We had a balcony that overlooked the road so there was great people watching and we could also see beyond the road over the bay. Can't complain really. Anyway, we wanted to be walking distance to Ibiza Town and the apartment was a base where we could sleep and save a bit of cash by doing our own food....in that aspect, it was perfect and I would go back. Went to sleep at about 4.

Day 2...
Our fist proper day. Walked in to Ibiza Town and explored. Ordered too much (good) tapas in Plaza Parque and sat outside the cafe people watching and laughing at all the old rich men wearing white linen trousers and women with plastic surgery (a common activity for us on this trip!). Walked up Dalt Villa and then headed back to the hotel. It is getting a bit touristy but i really liked Ibiza Town and found the atmosphere there really interesting...like most of ibiza such an odd (but good) mix of people.
As the weather had cleared up, we jumped in the car in the afternoon and spent the late afternoon exploring beaces with Cala Vadella definitely being our favourite for the day. The pictures i have seen online dont really do it justice as it was pretty empty and the water was lovely. On the way back stopped at Cala Moli to watch the sunset by Es Vedra which was beautiful.
Back out for a late dinner of tapas in Ibiza Town which was also really good (25 euros for 4 big dishes and 2 beers...not bad) and then some drinks in Sa Penya. Bit Touristy but really fun anyway. We werent planning on clubbing this night but after getting a free wrist band to goa at space, we headed there (via an old mans bar for some hideously cheap and strong drinks). Had a good night there and thankfully (given how little money we had), we had drunk enough that we only needed one beer each in the club. Just because we were actually in a club in Ibiza, we were in amazing moods and loved it though it was a shame the terrace was shut.

Day 3…
Woke up late and feeling horrendous after the previous night but headed out to beyond San Antonio to Cala Gracionatta which was lovely but a bit busy…well, I say that but there were actually about 30 people on it but its so small its hard not to be busy. Had a nice day there and enjoyed the bread and chorizo we took with us and then went to the Sunset Strip to see what all the fuss was about (following recommendations on here) and I have to say I was really underwhelmed. I had read that the café del mar was under a apartment building so was expecting it but watching a sunset with about 500-1000 people all with their cameras out just took away from what it should have been. I could tell that it was once amazing but it just felt like a massive tourist trap. That night we ate at the apartment and then went to People From Ibiza at Amnesia and loved it. Great club and although the music wasn’t anything cutting edge, it just had a really fun feel to it and a great vibe and also fulfilled my need for a messy night out clubbing. There was something about the club and venue that felt distinctly Ibiza and I loved that. Needless to say Day 3 pretty much drifted in to….

Day 4…
Where we relaxed by the slightly unpleasant hotel pool, slept and felt so fragile we stayed in Figeuretas for a drink that night and were in bed by 11pm. Bit of a write off really!

Day 5…
This was our big day to explore the island and find some deserted beaches and we woke up early, looked out the window and it was overcast ha ha. After driving to various beaches and getting a little fed with the weather and some not quite being as nice as expected as we our standards had got pretty high! Cala Boix was a bit windy and it rained while Cala Mastella was covered in seaweed. Then we found Pou D’Leo which was absultely beautiful and despite the overcast weather was a really nice spot for a walk. From there we then went to Cala D’en Serra which was the nicest beach of the whole trip and one of the nicest spots I have been to anywhere in Europe in a while. The beach was lovely, the sun came out, the water clear and there were about 10 people on it….it was everything we had hoped for and we spent the rest of the day there.
That night we were feeling massively run down and really weren’t up for a night out but had tickets to the Tiesto closing party at Priveledge so kind of had to go. Ironically this was supposed to be our ‘big’ night and we were just tired and not really up for it. I used to love trance and although I have gone off it a little, seeing Tiesto in Ibiza seemed like the kind of thing I should do. The venue is impressive if only for its size and the music was ok but I have to say it just didn’t feel like Ibiza…the crowd was very English, the club was a bit souless and very dark and other than the size of the venue, I felt like I could have been in any country in the world. After a couple of hours we basically gave up as we seemed to be sitting in the garden most the time and not in the club. We just decided we’d rather sit up on our balcony so went back and did that! As I said, it was partly our moods but also the club just didn’t do it for us.

Day 6…
We slept late and as this was our last day, didn’t have much planned. It was pouring with rain so we just drove to the Marina in Ibiza Town to have a look around and then stopped at a supermarket to stock up on chorizo to bring back J Headed to a the airport late that evening and boarded a plane with a lot of fragile looking clubbers.

Things I liked…
I loved the odd mixture of people…loads of rich people in white linens to laugh at, trendy young people, people like me, ravers, families, groups of housewives chilling out on the beach, Spanish, Italians, Austrians, Russians….it was great people watching and also created a really good vibe. I also liked the fact that while it was full of rich people, I didn’t feel excluded or like I was out of place, I just didn’t go to the bars they went to and am not sure I would want to. I loved the clubs and loved the way you could just not plan anything and see where you got wristbands for and even though I had a crap night, im glad I saw priveledge. Next year I want to try We Love, Pacha and DC10 though the alcohol prices make the daytime events a little restrictive as I’d like to drink on those a bit more. I could often be described as a bit of a moody clubber, sitting in the corner struggling to get in to a night but at clubs like amnesia, it was just impossible NOT to have a good time.
I also loved the fact that although we went out pretty late 3 nights, I still came back to the UK feeling really relaxed because it is such a nice island and I guess that is one of the big appeals of it.

Things I didn’t like…
I loved Ibiza but could see why people say it isn’t what it once was….I would have loved the clubs to be open air or to know that there were crazy beach parties happening all the time. Things do change and that’s fine and as I said, its still great but I could see it was probably even better before…why the hell didn’t I go 8 years ago when I first wanted to!!!
I knew how much drinks were going to cost though it was still a bit of a shock when you don’t get change from a 20e note for 2 beers, especially in Space when she tried to give me Budweiser...luckily I stopped her before she opened it and got some decent beer, but still…! Just go expecting it and it is fine. What did bother me was amnesia and Priveledge trying to stop you taking photos…it seemed one step too far. After paying 50e to get in to a club, then 10e a beer to then not let me take photos so they can sell me some is just beyond tight. Did sneak mine in to amnesia anyway but it’s the principle.
The Sunset Strip…yeah, I can tick it off my list but I certainly wouldn’t go back! Just felt like a massive tourist trap. How is watching a sunset beautiful when there are groups of English people drunk and singing and 800 people with you. Again, just wish I had seen it a few years ago.

So, to conclude….
I had read a lot of people on here before we left either absolutely raving about Ibiza or saying it just isn’t as good as before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I actually lie somewhere in between as I can definitely see why people may think it has gone down hill but it is still pretty amazing and unique. I travel a lot (work for a travel company and am best friends with someone who works for an airline) and can honestly say it was one of the best long weekends I have ever had. I will definitely be going back next year hopefully for a few days longer and also maybe add a little trip to Formentera.

That was excellent - proof that you can do Ibiza on a budget if you need to. I am glad you finally made your trip there, but its a shame you didnt get to see it 8 years ago - the difference is massive imo.

But a good review and you had a great time and that's the main thing...8)

very nice reflecting review.... Stoked!
So, after travelling a lot, with back pack, with surf board, with skis, staying in rooms for 30 cents a night (...), and not being able to imagine an allinclusive-holiday, I decided as well, that I will go back next year, just for the same reasons, you mentioned...
8)

Back