An irishman in Ibiza - thereview

• Thread starter Fred The Fightin Irish
  • Start date
F

Fred The Fightin Irish

We had been meaning to go for the past four years but being the worst at organizing, didn’t get round to it ‘til this year. So we were Ibiza virgins.
We arrived here in the usual state of stupid drunkenness, how we descend from any holiday flight, and yes, we are Irish, and we DO drink, a damn lot at that, But from minute ONE, as we waited for our suitcases of Poitin (an illegal Irish spirit, brewed in the country with unknown levels of alcohol), we sensed this island was to be like no other.
Through our triple vision we made our way to the coach, but got arrested for riotous behaviour and were deported.

That’s my review

Joking,
NO seriously, I think it was very fair to say the Holiday lived up to all expectations, and in my opinion, above.
There is something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. An atmosphere unmatched anywhere I have been. Even in the smallest local family run cafe's the sound of hard European trance was bellowing from the walls, and on one occasion a 70 something year old women singing along to La La Land (Green Velvet), ‘Somethin bout those little pills…..”, can only be laughed at.
I did heard many say that Ibiza isn’t as it used to be, which is fair enough, but my god, if I was there when it WAS as it used to be, have mercy on my soul, how good could it have been?
I’m sort of embarrassed to say I only made to 3 of the larger Clubs. Before going I had thought out my plan, which included visiting 6 clubs on consecutive nights, thanks this site, where I saw the full Club listings for the summer.
Firstly I was dragged* to Judgment Sunday. As much as I hate judge Jules, he rocked Eden. It was the Cheesiest Cheddar I have ever heard, but somehow I luved it. But that spells out what the island did to me. The place can change a person. Now I live by myself farming Oysters on the Irish west coast, rising at 6 in the morning to feed my hens…….
Well, id like to be.
(* Got very drunk, was Asked once, and responded with over-whelming agreement, I’m a Born Again Cheese Merchant.)

Anyway, we made it to the Waterparty at Es Paradis on Tuesday or Wednesday, or even Monday for that matter, the entire concept of time had been left in a small locker at the airport in Dublin, (the only reminder we needed was our flight home, which is another story for another day)……The Club is simply a Paradise. From the generally shambolic attempts at ‘Clubs’ in Dublin to Es Paradis is reminisce of a blind man gaining sight. I was in awe. I sat down for most of it, but the cushions were so inviting, and then there were all the Spanish women sprawled out in a ‘Come and get me” sort of manner? I actually got chatting to some, which apparently is a bit unusual? ….for me anyway..
We spent an unhealthy amount of time in a small “Scottish” bar, Killtys or something. Nothing makes a great holiday even better than a long hearty chat with some Scottish, they are probably….. the best race in the world, not just because they have a habit of giving out free…..stuff….
On our last night we actually ventured out of San Antonio, we are the laziest ba**ards this side of the atlantic, and went to Amnesia, Creams night. Tiesto and Tall Paul (I think) were playing. The place isn’t much to look at from the outside, as opposed to the overpowering view of Privilege on the way, but inside is something special. I think it’s the difference of the 2 rooms that really interested me. We kept hopping from the more funky room, the terrace or something, to the ‘other room’, or other world maybe.
When we first walked in, wow…. I have never seen so many people on so many drugs listening to such hard music in such unbearable heat. The 2 girls with us were scared to say the least, green lazors were shooting everywhere, smoke so thick I could hardly breathe, Tiesto had well finished his melodic stuff, and was giving the crowd a dose of the dutch. This stuff would make Jules cry….. As much as I wanted to stay we really had to stay in the other room, had a plane to catch in a few hours.

And caught it we did, eventually.

As far as I know we are heading back over next year, a few mates missed it and are pissed off with us talking about it, so we’re gonna show them a holiday, and a half.

Negatives:
1. There was no pool at our apartments, so we just sweated ourselves to sleep during the day. (our own fault, I know, booked the holiday to damn late)
2. The water at the Es Paradis smelled real bad, surely clean water isn’t that expensive???
3. I lost 1 ½ stone in weight.
4. I lost 2 or 3 million brain cells, but subsequently found them in a mates suitcase.
5. Got confused with Café Del mar, Mambo etc, thought it was good for the sun rising instead of it setting. We just sat around waiting for music or people at 7 in the morning 2 or 3 nights in a row, the place was dead. Still a good laugh though.
6. The loutish behaviour of a small percentage of ‘Brits’.
7. Never got to know that small blonde girl from Halifax, WOWW, have a photo though, which will have to do.
8. Didn’t get to Privilege, Pacha, Space, playa d’en bossa, Ibiza town, any decent beaches……I could go on…..all to be done next year.

Positives:

1. All the above bar 7 and 8.

I love the place.

Slan anois.

Hi,

excellent review.
don't listen to the critics saying that the isalnd isn't as good as it used to be, this has been said so many times not just this year but in previous years.i'n my opinon every year is different, dj gee once said 'no two years are the same' and i think he's right.

cu next year.

Robo said:
Hi,

GOOOD REVIEW MAN.THIS YEAR WAS MY FOURTH.I LOVE THE PLACE 2 BITS.ROGER SANCHEZ AT PACHA ,TWICE I SAW HIM.HE WAS SUPER.GO TO SPACE NEXT TIME ON SUNDAYS,CLUBBING AT THE DAYTIME IS JUST SOMETHING SPECIAL,AMNESIA I THOUGHT WAS 2 PACKED 4 CREAM,BUT STILL A SUPER VENUE,THE PLACE JUST GETS BETTER AS I AGE.NEXT TIME GIVE SAN AN A MISS AND EXPLORE IBIZA TOWN.ME AND GIRLFRIEND WILL B BACK NEXT YEAR IN SEPTEMBER AGAIN.BACK ONLY 2 WEEKS AND STILL SICKENED.SOUNDS LIKE UVE TAKEN 2 THE PLACE.ULL B HOOKED 4 LIFE NOW LIKE ME.SLAN LEAT. :p :p :p :p

good review our lad!!!went for first time myself this year in sept.did the space on sundays thing and subliminal at pacha.rest of the time at bora bora who in fairness offer what i think ibiza should be about.good music,nice people and good tunes..........not to mention very reasonable drinks prices.
big letdown for me was the fact that u are screwed left right n centre by the clubs.€8 for water????!!!!!!!!!!!r u maaaad?
next yr i think people should try and boycott the big clubs in favour of the likes of dc10 and co.although regardless of price,we luv sundays at space is unreal and a must visit!!
cya next yr peeps
poodle tits

Hi,

winnie if u wanna do somet about it, drop a line to jamese75, he wants to set up somet like that, to stop the big clubs ripping off paying clubbers.

Is getting drunk a something to be proud of in the UK ?

In almost all the reviews that I have read here people praise themselfs for getting drunk ?

We went to San Antonio one evening to see the sun go down at café del Mar, afterwards we went to the citycenter :rolleyes:

What i saw there, in a word: disgusting !

Do all of you people become madmen once you're off your island and found the local liquorstore ?

Hainz said:

In almost all the reviews that I have read here people praise themselfs for getting drunk ?

We went to San Antonio one evening to see the sun go down at café del Mar, afterwards we went to the citycenter :rolleyes:

Do all of you people become madmen once you're off your island and found the local liquorstore ?

Yes. :D Nahhh, really. Some of us like a good drink......especially the Scottish! :D It is what we are famous for! ;)

Hainz, first of all just because people like to drink doesn't turn them into Satan you know. I understand it's difficult to comprehend the actions or conversations of people who are tipsy/drunk if you are sober, believe me i've been there many a time....you may have too. You have to remember that people are, after all, on holiday and people enjoy drinking recreationally. Not everyone wants to get pilled up.

I, myself, enjoy having a few beers to get into the spirit of things. I don't think i could have dance through the early hours if i hadn't. People from the GB and Ireland like to drink just as they do in most countries around the World......it just seems that we are always labelled as "champions" of it. Shit, I went to a beer festival in Cologne a few years ago and they certainly know how to drink, party, fight, etc....It's not just something that is isolated to our isles. There are people who get rowdy and act like juveniles, just as there are people like me, who love everyone and is everyone's best buddy!

When i go on holiday i want to chill out and unfortunately alcohol helps me do that......does that make me spawn of the devil? i just hope you don't get the wrong impression of people from the GB and Ireland just because of a few pissed up muppets (usually teenagers on their first holiday....been there, done it, spewed on the t-shirt ;) ) who are "enjoying" themselves a tad too much.

Hainz said:

What the hell is wrong with having a drink? I don't go out there for a prayer meeting you know. There are a lot of obnoxious drunken louts about but don't tar everyone with the same brush. You're right about San Antonio though, a complete shithole.

mate, there is nothing wrong with having a drink, but there is somet wrong when the majority of people are soo drunk, they become hooligans!!!

Robo said:
mate, there is nothing wrong with having a drink, but there is somet wrong when the majority of people are soo drunk, they become hooligans!!!

Majority of what people? what are you trying to say? the only f***ing hooligans of any nationality I encountered were English soccer types in the west end. (The vast majority of English people i meet were dead on by the way) San Antonio is exactly like the crap on Sky 1 Ibiza uncovered, p1ss heads vomiting everywhere and harrasing women, a truly horrible horrible place.. :rolleyes:

so, what ur point????? the majority in the west end, or 'english soccer types' of course its not the scottish, or the welsh, or the irish, that behave like this is it????, just the 'english soccer types'!!

Whoa!!!! DEJA VU or what. I remember the very first time I felt compelled to add my two pennurth to a subject on this forum back in June or July. The subject was exactly this, other nationalities perception of 'Brits abroad'. That time it was an American who claimed to 'know' that all people from the UK and Ireland were drunken louts or football hooligans. Or both!. Jeez, can't people understand that if you get a large enough concentration of any nationality in one place you're bound to see the whole spectrum of that given nationalities behaviour.
It really is very narrow minded to pick the worst aspects and then tar the whole race with the same brush. This is how stereotyping begins. And that ain't far away from racism and xenophobia and all the cr*p that goes with it. :evil:
It's not that difficult to avoid the drunks (whatever nationality). If they wanna spend their holiday in drunken oblivion, let them. The bar owners of the West End positively encourage the behaviour. Keep them there where we can all avoid them. :!:

Cheers mate, but just because the west end is not my sort of thing, i understand and accept that it may be another persons heaven. Each to there own hey!!!...

come an ave a go if yer fink yer ard enough

(repeat)

(repeat)

NOT representative of British clubbers abroad

spread the peace

Back