Amsterdam - Where to Stay / Go?

Conkermon

No longer active
I just booked a trip to dam, 10th-13th June. It will be my first time and I would really love some advice on where to stay? I'm going with an American girl who is intent on staying in a cheap hostel, but I'd personally prefer a cheap hotel, if they exist.

She doesn't want to spend more than £30 a night, probably a bit of flexibility on that though. Can anyone offer me some suggestions? Ideally specific places to look at but more generally I'd love to know the best part of the city to stay in within the price range.

Also any tips at all on places to see, clubs to go, shrooms, weed, etc would be great.

I have done a search but it yielded pretty dated results and still didn't answer my questions.

Cheeeers!

I went a few years ago in November for my birthday (frigging freezing), I cant remember the name of our hotel but it was £100 for 3 days 2 nights, and we had massive rooms that slept 3, the name will come to me but it was slightly outside of the town not far from a zoo :eek: - strange but true!

We didnt go clubbing as such over there although one of our friends was dying to get dressed up and go out (didnt feel that sort of place to me?), we spent more time in pubs, cafes etc, also saw The Klaxons over there in the most intimate venue Ive ever been to - a small old church! There is plenty to do and it sounds like you are going at a better time of year :lol:

Its easy to get about too, can jump on a tram to lots of places, would recommend a boat trip too just to feel a bit "touristy" :lol:

I've stayed here before: http://www.florishotels.com/holland-hotels/amsterdam-hotels/floris-france-hotel-amsterdam

Definitely no frills but it's a 5 min walk from Centraal Station, and to be honest, the budget you've mentioned is way below what I've ever spent, at least on a city centre hotel.

Nice Irish bar a couple of doors down too.

That would probably have done the job but looks like it's fully booked on our dates. I'm not worried about no frills as long as it's a 2 person room with some privacy in a semi-decent location. I'd also like to avoid places notorious for rowdy English louts if possible..

I went a few years ago in November for my birthday (frigging freezing), I cant remember the name of our hotel but it was £100 for 3 days 2 nights, and we had massive rooms that slept 3, the name will come to me but it was slightly outside of the town not far from a zoo :eek: - strange but true!

We didnt go clubbing as such over there although one of our friends was dying to get dressed up and go out (didnt feel that sort of place to me?), we spent more time in pubs, cafes etc, also saw The Klaxons over there in the most intimate venue Ive ever been to - a small old church! There is plenty to do and it sounds like you are going at a better time of year :lol:

Its easy to get about too, can jump on a tram to lots of places, would recommend a boat trip too just to feel a bit "touristy" :lol:

That might be within our budget! So it's not too hard to get about? That's something. I'm going to check out residentadvisor and hopefully hit up some good nights. Also intent on doing shrooms but that could end badly...

Eden Lancaster - knew the name would come to me, need trams to get about though or you can walk to the 2 main squares/town areas

Eden Lancaster - knew the name would come to me, need trams to get about though or you can walk to the 2 main squares/town areas

Ooft it's saying circa £500 for 3 nights. Looks great, but I guess prices have gone up? Thanks though.

Dam is looking pretty dear :S

The France Hotel were full on the website when we tried to book but a quick phone call and they had availability.

Worth a try?

Ooft it's saying circa £500 for 3 nights. Looks great, but I guess prices have gone up? Thanks though.

Dam is looking pretty dear :S

Probably the time of year we went, was soooo cold in November I wouldnt go that time again!

Probably the time of year we went, was soooo cold in November I wouldnt go that time again!

Then again, I went with the missus over NY - was freezing - but snow everywhere, bridges lit up with lights.

When I was dragged out of the greenhouse it was rather pleasant and romantic (and let's be clear you will be having a pop at the american chick before it's out;))

The France Hotel were full on the website when we tried to book but a quick phone call and they had availability.

Worth a try?

I'll give them an email but checked out a couple of other sites where their hotel is offered and had the same result, fingers crossed though!

I'm here on a stag do earlier in the month:

http://www.heart-hostel.nl/default.asp?contentID=1206

God only knows what it will be like. But looked a bit better that the usual stag do / doss houses and any where decent involved subterfuge to get past the no groups rules.

That place looks cool - if we were a big group somewhere like that would be ideal..

When I was dragged out of the greenhouse it was rather pleasant and romantic (and let's be clear you will be having a pop at the american chick before it's out;))

Perhaps :twisted: although it has become a bit complicated..

THis place was good & central: http://hotelbelga.nl/

Been 3 times around September and were blessed with good weather.

Fully booked :(. Right I've been searching for hotels and hostels all day now. Time to revise the criteria. Basically anything remotely central which is between £30-£60 per person, per night and doesn't require a shared dorm would do the job. Hostel/hotel I don't care. Preferably the lower end of the price range though.

Dam is much more expensive than Ibiza, wtf... This place looks cool; http://www.amsterdamescape.com/amsterdamsnug.html but also expensive...

Last edited by a moderator:
We stayed www.hotel83.com

It's right in the heart of the 'action' and when we stayed 2006 was within your budget, prob a bit more now though. It was the only hotel available within several miles of the city at the time, so might indicate it's not five star! You need to be getting something booked, accommodation seems to book up quickly?

Then again, I went with the missus over NY - was freezing - but snow everywhere, bridges lit up with lights.

I can see what you mean....although there was 6 of us so wasnt quite a romantic trip, tripping out at Burger King was probably the most romantic it got :D

We stayed www.hotel83.com

It's right in the heart of the 'action' and when we stayed 2006 was within your budget, prob a bit more now though. It was the only hotel available within several miles of the city at the time, so might indicate it's not five star! You need to be getting something booked, accommodation seems to book up quickly?

It seems like we've booked over "Pinkster Weekend" whatever that is?? Everything seems to have been booked!!>? Nightmare.

Has anyone ever tried doing something like this: http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/97305

Renting a room for a few days from a random person? Seems more affordable, although I'm not sure whether they'd accept two 21 year olds intent on clubbing and getting ****ed up.

How long have mushrooms been illegal?

They were legal the last time I was there (bout 3 years ago), but I think were banned soon after. If anything the UK's been better for druggies :)lol:) these past few years than the dam, due to its lax legal high laws. Mephedrone, for example, was never even allowed to take off in the Netherlands.

Like I said, you may still be able to get 'truffles'. IIRC there's some type called Philosopher's Stones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back