Amsterdam- advice needed

Bumping this thread. I'm headed to Amsterdam in January for a first visit. Any current recommendations for a decent club to visit? Staying fairly central.

Bumping this thread. I'm headed to Amsterdam in January for a first visit. Any current recommendations for a decent club to visit? Staying fairly central.

The new club Shelter looks good also, although it's across the water behind central station there is a 24 hr ferry available.

Heading over myself in January for a stag, the group will likely be up for something a bit more interesting than the usual stag stuff though. Last time over was for ADE a couple of years ago, which was great fun. Would recommend Melkweg and Paradiso based on that although I gather they're not necessarily the same experience when it's a normal weekend.

Best thing to do is check out resident advisor calendar or make a list of all the clubs then check out what they have on via their fb pages.

I'm over the weekend of the 28-29 Jan and saw that this is on:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?913022

Hyte with Adam Beyer and Maya Jane Coles, Loco Dice and Derrick Carter on the next night. Never been to one of their parties but reckon I've convinced everyone I'm with to give one of them a go. Also trying to take in a bit of Eredivisie nearby on the Saturday

Think I'm gonna try SugarFactory - fairly close to where we're staying and least offensive on the Google reviews. De School gets a right slating.

Wouldn't recommend De School to anyone; laughable door policy and extremely rude staff.

The club in my opinion goes against everything dance culture stands for.

Wouldn't recommend De School to anyone; laughable door policy and extremely rude staff.

really? :eek:

I've never heard anything bad about it so far. what happened?

Ive also heard they turn down people just because their look/age/nationality , like a easier version of berghain apparently

Well … I have left Amsterdam a bit disappointed with how they run the and manage the clubs over there.

Firstly let’s start with Shelter, Tale of Us were due to play all night long on Friday and presale tickets were priced at €17; which is no problem however their website stated as did Resident Advisor that door sale until midnight would cost €10.

Now due to us (Me + My Friend and 2 Partners) attending the Music On Festival the next day we thought this would be a sensible option to attend early and leave earlier. So we opted for the door sale; so we got on our bikes and commuted to Shelter this included a ferry and took around 30 minutes; so arriving at about 10.56, a few minutes before opening, and my god the door sale queue was ridiculous, 500 deep already. Regardless on this we queued; slowly moving … 45 minutes had passed on the bitterly cold waterfront and only now a member of club staff decides to come out and do a head count. Turns out they only had 100 tickets for the door.

Time for plan B; De School.

Back on the ferry and another 35 minute commute to the suburbs. Then we arrive, we queue for roughly 15 minutes. To be greeted by a very stuck up young lady on the door; playing with a piece of string in her hand (I actually believe she was doing this as some sort of intimidation tact). Anyway it was onto 21 questions; How old are you? Where are you from? Who’s on the line-up? (Jennifer Cardini, Lena Willikens – we answered) All questions had been answered correctly, for the lady then to ask the girls to state who the remaining DJ’s were on the lineup; I was pretty gobsmacked as I had already named the 2 headliners. And due to our girlfriends being unable to state who else was on the lineup we were told you can’t come in.

I find this disgusting really; clearly been turned away due to our nationality being British. Because if we were genuinely turned away for 1 of our party not being able to name the remaining DJ on the line-up what’s that about? How do they expect people to be introduced to new sounds and DJ’s?

Bitterly disappointed. And I’m so glad the British dance culture scene doesn’t conduct itself in this way.

NOTE: We were all sober.

how big was the music on festival then? don't you think there were a lot of people flying in for this and all wanting to do TOU or de school on friday night as a warm up?

as for the door tactics - it might effectively be the case that they wanted to keep the brit % to a limit. as much as I understand your frustration, I understand why some clubs decide they want to make sure the 'crowd mix' is right (in their eyes). it's hard when you're the one that's affected, but I guess that a lot of people wouldn't be unhappy if say music on here in ibiza would be a little more mixed instead of so italian-heavy? (this comes from a half italian).

thoughts? (sorry for amsterdam thread hijacking)

I see both points....I've been turned away from clubs in berlin before - not really tried in Amstrerdam...and it is very difficult not to let it ruin your night and for you to take it personally. At least in Amsterdam they are asking you who is playing and then making the decision rather than just looking you up and down like they do in Berlin.

I'm afraid the brits have a terrible reputation in mainland europe and unfortunately that isn't going to change anytime soon.

I'm afraid the brits have a terrible reputation in mainland europe and unfortunately that isn't going to change anytime soon.

This is what bothers me, go to any of the big clubs in London and ask the door staff where they get the most problems from in terms of aggressive or wasted people.... French, Spanish, Eastern Europeans etc! Shame UK Door staff don't employ the same policies as our cousins on the continent

it's hard when you're the one that's affected, but I guess that a lot of people wouldn't be unhappy if say music on here in ibiza would be a little more mixed instead of so italian-heavy? (this comes from a half italian).

thoughts? (sorry for amsterdam thread hijacking)

But Music On doesn't turn people away on the door due to their nationality does it; and why should it?
Not every Italian creates a moody atmosphere on the dance-floor like not every Brit entering a club is your stereotypical loudmouth lout.

If people have saved up their hard earned money and flew out to Ibiza in anticipation of seeing some of their favorite DJ's at Music On why should they be denied entry soley due to their nationality and the club wanting a mixed dancefloor.

If you are willing to pay your own money to enter the club you shouldn't be turned away based on where you were born. That's so backwards IMO.

I've not said I completely agree with this policy josh. but I do understand why they do it. and no, no one gets turned away at music on, but I do think there are actually people who'd appreciate it if the 'mix' was a bit more heterogenous. but that's just a very theoretical thought. because in the case of ibiza, I fully agree that it'd be very hard if people got turned away for exactly the reasons you mention above.

This is what bothers me, go to any of the big clubs in London and ask the door staff where they get the most problems from in terms of aggressive or wasted people.... French, Spanish, Eastern Europeans etc! Shame UK Door staff don't employ the same policies as our cousins on the continent

Hmmmmm.... in all my years in London, I never once saw young spanish, italian, japanese, polish club kids cause any hassle - the problem was always british 'lads' from out of town.

and given the dire rep of Brits in Amsterdam , it's not surprising they go ultra on doors

On a happier note, there are some pretty ace dutch DJs to be discovered eg young marco, I-F, Hunee, Tom Trago, Legowelt and co and a fantastic store in Redlight Records

Back