Amsterdam- advice needed

drtechno

Hi all.
Me and my friend are traveling to Amsterdam in August (week before Loveland) but have never been before. Is there anything to do in the evenings on Tues/Wed/Thurs ?? Because it seems more of a small city so maybe only the weekends there are good?

I'm thinking more lounges/clubs than restaurants, of course. I have found a list of names of places but have no idea of the scene there, the crowd, etc. Jimmy Woo, Supper Club, Air ? I also don't want to show up and find a crowd of 21 year olds as we are both mid 30s.

Are there any good nights/places on Tues/Wed/Thurs?

Last edited:
Awesome advice so far.. Thx

In regards to Jimmy Woo, what's the deal with after 1am? Sounds like everyone heads to the downstairs dance club, and you end up leaving your bottle service table upstairs? Do you just make runs back to your table for drinks? Not sure how they think this is supposed to work. And I read somewhere they have pay toilets inside? That can't be right.

Any info on AIR ? It looks pretty cool

What about nights? Obviously Fri/Sat nights are easy.. And it even looks like Thurs night there's enough going on.

However, how is Wed night in August ? Is there anything going on ? And, even less likely, what about Tues ?

I was there a few years back, Jimmy Woo was awesome don't worry about a table, just go straight down stairs. The sound was near perfect and the ceiling with all the lights was amazing.

The music was only meh when I was there and it was filled with a unfriendly and down right annoying crowd but I still had a great time.

I also highly recommend door-74 if you want a truly world class drink.

If you do the coffee shops (which I'd recommend) - Don't go for the strong stuff. Mild is about as strong as our strong stuff here. SWIM may have got themselves into a state the first coffee shop the group went to :lol:

Amsterdam is my 2nd favourite city after my own (london). I love the compact size and the people are so nice. Never been in a coffee shop!

I didn't like the coffee shops or red light district area....thought it was dingy and sleazy! Just wasn't for us at all...I loved the Dutch people though, awesome folk! Very laidback but sooo friendly! All in all had a great time!

We went for Awakenings festival last year, was outstanding! Followed by Trouw on the Sunday which was also amazing. We didn't have a clue what to expect, what a cracking club!

Leidseplein is a nice area, has lots of bars with terraces which is ideal when the weather is good!

I hope to go back to see Trouw one last time before it closes! Also to do Awakenings Festival again or Gashouder! I would only go back of there was techno involved...

Have a great time :D!

Agreed on Leidseplein. I stayed in that area both times I went. Very nice home base with lots right outside the door and nearby.

Anything to do club/lounge wise on a Tues or Wed night? Or is it pretty dead like most cities.

I was there a few years back, Jimmy Woo was awesome don't worry about a table, just go straight down stairs. The sound was near perfect and the ceiling with all the lights was amazing.

The music was only meh when I was there and it was filled with a unfriendly and down right annoying crowd but I still had a great time.

Ya.. That's pretty much what I assumed (annoying crowd, average music). But what's the deal with the pay toilets? LOL Thats just nuts.

Last edited:
In most of the bigger bars and clubs in Holland it is normal to pay for the toilets. It's pretty crappy, but thats just the way it is :(

Heading to Amsterdam in 2 weeks, does anyone know when Trouw new reincarnation De School is due to open, as originally it did say December?

Back