Amsterdam advice needed

fatphilb

Hi People,

looking for recomendations for Amsterdam. Going on Thursday the 5th February.

Pleasant cafes, nightspots, touristy things to do etc. Going for a stag do, but I have a day to myself before the Oi Oi begins on Friday night. I spotted that Apparet are playing on Thursday night, which is looking likely for a solo excursion.

As for the lads part, we were hoping to go see Ajax play but they are away, out of the following lot for Sunday, are any fairly near Amsterdam (ie. within an hour on the train)?

11:30 UKFC Utrecht v ADO Den HaagNieuw Galgewaard
11:30 UKVitesse Arnhem v Ajax AmsterdamGelredome
13:30 UKFeyenoord Rotterdam v FC GroningenDe Kuip Stadion
13:30 UKDe Graafschap v Twente EnschedeDe Vijverberg
13:30 UKFC Volendam v PSV EindhovenKras Stadion

Any other tips, thoughts, criticism welcomed :)

Especially looking for stag type stuff (other than hookers/strippers etc.) to occupy us during the day on Saturday.

gotta love Amsterdam, everything London could be if it could just chill the fck out

first obv port of call, the grasshopper - can't remember where that was offhand - anyone?

'Global Chillage' on kerkstrasse for a very good non touristy / locals coffee shop

see also: http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/HappyFeeling.html

some touts do good deals for Ajax home games - most honest tout I ever met! stadium is ridiculously nice - went 2 years back, people chilling with spliffs in the crowd - that may have changed since the country went rightwing tho..

Club 11 if you want to indulge in any pillar-worshipping

RUSH HOUR RECORDS @ Spuistraat 98

the Eik En Linde bar (Plantage Middenlaan 22) is a very old style dutch bar, eccentric place - [more for locals tho]

2 pics from my last visit

n662161372_1641851_4854.jpg

n662161372_1641853_5283.jpg

Grasshopper, there are a few. They are the Tesco of the coffee shop world mind.

The main one is straight out of dam station, walk about 800 yards ahead till you have a canal on the left, then a bridge goes over the canal & its next to this. Clearly visible from the main road.

If grasshopper is Tesco, then this place is Harrods 8)

http://www.greenhouse.org/

mmm el nino.....

Get a boat tour. loads of fun.

Clubbing, Melkweg, Paradiso, Escape - off top of head, but there are looooadds of clubs.

Also greenhouse effect & the original one called mellow yellow which is a bit of a walk but history be there are both rec'd.

if your looking for stag stuff why avoid strippers?! i have not been, but word is the banana bar is just a boobie fest.

Didn't we just have an Amsterdam thread?

For a nice dinner out, try the Supper Club. Make reservations. Enjoyable evening, 4 course dinner with DJ spinning tunes, slightly pricey but not insane, good start to the evening.

Grasshopper, there are a few. They are the Tesco of the coffee shop world mind.

Exactly. Steer clear imo. De Rokerij on Amstel 8 is a lovely place and in general all the ones with Dutch names will draw less tourists.

As for club 11, it's been closed for ages. Melkweg, Paradiso, Hotel Arena and Panama all have good line ups, however check first as it's not only dance music. There's a lot of smaller clubs as well. Escape is fairly touristy too like everything around Rembrandtplein.

Supper Club has a great concept (like Bed or other Supper Clubs around the world but you can also get joints) but you won't meet any Dutch people there. Envy close by on Prinsengracht 381 is a great restaurant as well.

If you want to see some real Amsterdam then visit either Jordaan or de Pijp which both are lovely neighborhoods with a lot of bars, restaurants, cafes and shops.

Going back in February myself, can't wait :D

We did a tour of the Ajax stadium when we were there, obv not as exciting as seeing a match, but worth doing if i remember rightly. Heineken museum was not really worth going to in my opinion so if anyone suggests it, i'd give it a miss. Amsterdam is class though, def going back soon!

Three things I remember enjoying the most when I went there
- Anne Franks House
- Amstel beer
- Space cakes

club 11 is well cool... just4 the elevator trip up there! :twisted:
also check out the waterloopen market if you're into that ****e.....
have fun!

Cheers for your time people.

if your looking for stag stuff why avoid strippers?! i have not been, but word is the banana bar is just a boobie fest.

There will be plenty of strippers Im sure, but was looking for stuff to occupy my rowdy pals during the day on Saturday since I'll be gettin all cultured up on my jack jones on Friday.

Didn't we just have an Amsterdam thread?

For a nice dinner out, try the Supper Club. Make reservations. Enjoyable evening, 4 course dinner with DJ spinning tunes, slightly pricey but not insane, good start to the evening.

Supper club sounds nice, but not suitable for the needs of my mates I don't think. Thanks anyhow, maybe another time.

If you want to see some real Amsterdam then visit either Jordaan or de Pijp which both are lovely neighborhoods with a lot of bars, restaurants, cafes and shops.

Going back in February myself, can't wait :D

Top tip. Noted.

here's a guide to the clubs i wrote recently

I;d already been making notes off that page without realising you'd penned the piece. For the record, and if i can prise any of my mates away from cheesy meat markets on Friday night, the choice will either be Octave One at Studio 80, or Stubnitz, which looks like a decent lineup, Bart Skils und Kabale and Liebe. From what I've been reading though, getting in places seems like a bit of a hassle? When you mean dress smart, what exactly do you mean by that? Will trainers, t-shirt, jeans and a cool tracky be alright, or is it a dress up affair? Seems at odds with what I was expecting of Amsterdam tbh, if its shirts and shoes I'm no gonna bother my arse. Also, Melkweg has Apparet playing on Thursday, I was on their website and it said that for music events you need to buy a Melweg membership. Will i need to buy a year membership on top of my entry price?

some touts do good deals for Ajax home games - most honest tout I ever met! stadium is ridiculously nice - went 2 years back, people chilling with spliffs in the crowd - that may have changed since the country went rightwing tho..

RUSH HOUR RECORDS @ Spuistraat 98

the Eik En Linde bar (Plantage Middenlaan 22) is a very old style dutch bar, eccentric place - [more for locals tho]

Ajax are away unfortunately. Might still visit the stadium, but I can see my suggestion to go to an empty stadium causing much laughter whilst everyone settles into their 7th pint of the day (at 11am). Theres a game on Sunday afternoon about 40 minutes outside of Amsterdam, to the north, Im assuming a train would get me there, but again I can see my suggestion to do this causing much hilarity.

Also, Melkweg has Apparet playing on Thursday, I was on their website and it said that for music events you need to buy a Melweg membership. Will i need to buy a year membership on top of my entry price?

You'll have to buy it but it's not much, was 3 euros when I was living there a few years ago. It's got to do with the division of ticket sales revenue between the club and the event organizers. It's worth it thought, Melkweg has several different areas and even an art gallery, normally you can visit all of these with one ticket.

You'll have to buy it but it's not much, was 3 euros when I was living there a few years ago. It's got to do with the division of ticket sales revenue between the club and the event organizers. It's worth it thought, Melkweg has several different areas and even an art gallery, normally you can visit all of these with one ticket.

i saw dave clark there - great venue.

has dave clark ever played ibiza?

Reckon I'd look out of place cutting about the place on my own?

any advice on booking hotels for large group? planning a stag do for May and lots of places only allow you to book 3 rooms at a time!

This forum link below is one of Amsterdam's longest running and gives very frank and honest experiences - some of it may not be to your taste but the weekly weed report is brilliant!!

www.ignatzmice.com/

Judged on your 20.01.2009, 02:14 AM post, you have a similar bunch of m8's to mine for boys trips away, trying to do anything that involves no ale for 10+ minutes is a 'mare!

Let us know how it went when you are back int he land of the living m8 :)

Back