American Football Commentators

Jonny68

I stayed up all last nite watching online Celtic v MLS All-Stars in Colorado (we played ****e and lost 2-0:confused:)pre season friendly only so no cause for concern.

But fu*k me those American Football commentators are hilarious, the way they describe things are totally bizzare, offensive free kick WTF:lol: outscoring player :lol: firing at goal (is it guns or football we're talking here :lol:)i could list a whole lot more but im sure you get the message, and what's with all these breaks and bloody advertisements and stats throughout the game :spank: terrible,with the exception of our good friend Morbyd who at least knows about football these yank commentators need to be taught how to say the correct terms, and not ones that are left people scratching their heads and saying WTF.

And one last thing it's FOOTBALL not bloody soccer you herberts.:p

MaddenJohn9.06.jpg

Legend

You have 2 remeber the target audeince. I go 2 sports bars in the USA and ask for matches 2 be put on, but you have 2 remember it is not a major sport in the USA and yanks like stats and talking. We call it color commentary. The Spanish talk alomost as much as yanks.

I stayed up all last nite watching online Celtic v MLS All-Stars in Colorado (we played ****e and lost 2-0:confused:)pre season friendly only so no cause for concern.
Firstly, HA HA YOU GOT BEAT BY THE YANKS :p:p:p
Pre-season or not, if Celtic are so mighty then you should be able to beat a team of top players from a second-tier (ok... maybe third tier) league! :lol: And worst of all, one of the goals came from Juan Pablo Angel who couldn't score to save his life at Villa.

But I digress.

What you must remember, Jonny, is that US culture and language are quite different from British or Irish. We have different terminologies for various things (reference: the "sent off" vs "ejected" debate ;)).

Just because a commentator might use different words than you're used to does not mean they don't understand the sport. Think of it as watching football (aka soccer) in a foreign language that happens to be decipherable enough for you to understand ;)

You'll find differences in form of commentating in any country you go to - I've watched various football matches presented by Brits, Irish, South Africans, Spanish, Russians and Americans. Each has a different style... the South Africans are very low key, Spanish are on crystal meth, and Russians just won't stop babbling about stories they've obviously read in the press all match long even if unrelated to the current action on the pitch! (or, as they say in the US, on the field ;))

One thing I really like about American commentators is their neutrality. Even if they're calling a US national team game, it's not "us" and "them" but "the US" and "XX country". Russian commentators drive me nuts because it's always "us" and "them", even if it's not a national team match, for example CSKA vs Arsenal. I want to smack them and tell them "what do you mean 'us'? They're club teams ffs, and half of CSKA is Brazilians!" :rolleyes: :lol:

The thing I don't like about American commentators is that they are very much "in your face". Kind of like the loud guy at the next table you wish would stop his gabbering.

Also, American sports fans love stats. That's just a fact. I'm not so into them myself...at least, not in the detail that you'll find on American broadcasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, HA HA YOU GOT BEAT BY THE YANKS :p:p:p
Pre-season or not, if Celtic are so mighty then you should be able to beat a team of top players from a second-tier (ok... maybe third tier) league! :lol: And worst of all, one of the goals came from Juan Pablo Angel who couldn't score to save his life at Villa.

But I digress.

What you must remember, Jonny, is that US culture and language are quite different from British or Irish. We have different terminologies for various things (reference: the "sent off" vs "ejected" debate ;)).

Just because a commentator might use different words than you're used to does not mean they don't understand the sport. Think of it as watching football (aka soccer) in a foreign language that happens to be decipherable enough for you to understand ;)

You'll find differences in form of commentating in any country you go to - I've watched various football matches presented by Brits, Irish, South Africans, Spanish, Russians and Americans. Each has a different style... the South Africans are very low key, Spanish are on crystal meth, and Russians just won't stop babbling about stories they've obviously read in the press all match long even if unrelated to the current action on the pitch! (or, as they say in the US, on the field ;))

One thing I really like about American commentators is their neutrality. Even if they're calling a US national team game, it's not "us" and "them" but "the US" and "XX country". Russian commentators drive me nuts because it's always "us" and "them", even if it's not a national team match, for example CSKA vs Arsenal. I want to smack them and tell them "what do you mean 'us'? They're club teams ffs, and half of CSKA is Brazilians!" :rolleyes: :lol:

The thing I don't like about American commentators is that they are very much "in your face". Kind of like the loud guy at the next table you wish would stop his gabbering.

Also, American sports fans love stats. That's just a fact. I'm not so into them myself...at least, not in the detail that you'll find on American broadcasts.

Man it's like a pre season friendly game get over yourself,usually im sure we would have no problem dispatching of some American team,Champions League Quality are Celtic FC8)

Sorry man yanks are the worst in the world when it comes to football the commentators haven't a clue,time to stick to Baseball or American Football ,i reckon,UK Football commentators are the best IMO.

Actually John (ok ive had a few beers :lol:) i sincerely hope we get you chelski rent boys in Europe next season and we'll whip you ass...:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::lol: The famous Glasgow Celtic FC,BEST FANS IN THE WORLD8)

Man it's like a pre season friendly game get over yourself,usually im sure we would have no problem dispatching of some American team,Champions League Quality are Celtic FC8)
Lay off the p1ss there, Jonny boy :p
time to stick to Baseball or American Football ,i reckon.
Really? You think. Too bad the US didn't draw Ireland in the last World Cup. We'd have shown you! Oh, ya, wait....

Sorry man yanks are the worst in the world when it comes to football the commentators haven't a clue,time to stick to Baseball or American Football ,i reckon,UK Football commentators are the best IMO.
Perception is everything. Watch out for the yanks in 2010 world cup. The pitch can settle the debate.:lol:

In the future, this might help you, Jonny...

From that paragon of journalism, the Sun:
AMERICAN commentators are baffling Brits tuning in to watch coverage of David Beckham's exploits with LA Galaxy.

Pundits across the pond are using a series of comical phrases and puzzling statements to call the action in Major League Soccer matches.

We've compiled a list of the confusing terms that have aired on American TV so far, along with our own interpretation of what the commentators really mean, to give you the lowdown.

BULLDOGGING: When a player shows determination to win the ball back.
CHICKEN WING BATTLE: A tussle between players, during which they use their arms and elbows to fight for the ball.
FINAL SIGNAL: The final whistle.
IN THE WHEELHOUSE: Within easy reach of the goalkeeper.
KNOCK LIKE A BEAR KISS: A tackle that is more clumsy than dangerous, but appears to be worse than it actually is.
MATCH UPS: Man marking.
MIDFIELD STRIPE: The halfway line.
ON FRAME: A shot on target.
ON THE DOORSTEP: In front of the goal.
REAL ESTATE: Used to describe the space or lack of space in the penalty area.
ON THE DIAGONAL SURFACE: A cross-field pass — expect to hear this a lot when Becks is playing.
SLOW ROLLER: A weak shot at goal.
SOME WHEELS: A quick turn of pace.
SOUTHPAW: A left-footed player.
STUTTER STEP: A Cristiano Ronaldo style step-over.
TAKEAWAY: An interception or tackle after which the player comes away with the ball.
UPLOAD: To kick the ball with full power.
:p

Fuks sake man where did this thread appear from :lol:

ha ha ha! I remember a belter as if it was yesterday. Beckham on the tour to the US beating a man on the wing to cross...'Great hustle!'

I think it adds to it, its great fun. They should get old school rugby union commentator Bill Mclaren involved 'a bit or argy bargy in the penalty area' or the geordie guy from the darts 'beckam, adonis, family, but on on the oche..a killer!'

Actually John (ok ive had a few beers :lol:) i sincerely hope we get you chelski rent boys in Europe next season and we'll whip you ass...:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::lol: The famous Glasgow Celtic FC,BEST FANS IN THE WORLD8)

:lol: Self-Proclaimed Greatest fans in the world :lol:

The MLS is on the up, the USA national team are no mugs these days! But someone was still sniffing glue by taking Beckham there for all that money!

The commentators terminology has me in stitches for the first 10 mins of the first "period" and then starts too annoy me a bit cos i need to think about what their saying :lol:

On the subject of Football...We've got France tonight...What you reckon our chances are :eek:

Back