Amazing DJs/appearances at your local townie club...

Johnny Vodka

So who's played your local townie club?

Coming up in Madison's Ayr (May 31st) Ultrabeat exclusively 'relaunch' Pretty Green Eyes. :eek: (Following in the foot steps of Dave Pearce, who's played there a couple of times IIRC.)

In the next fortnight alone got a few gems in my neck of the woods: Flashmob, Alexis Raphael, Sister Bliss, Waze & Odyssey, East End Dubs, Breach, Friction, Joker, Delta Heavy, DJ EZ & a who's who of UKG, Darios Syrossian - not too shabby really. Certainly something to satisfy a variety of tastes! :)

In the next fortnight alone got a few gems in my neck of the woods: Flashmob, Alexis Raphael, Sister Bliss, Waze & Odyssey, East End Dubs, Breach, Friction, Joker, Delta Heavy, DJ EZ & a who's who of UKG, Darios Syrossian - not too shabby really. Certainly something to satisfy a variety of tastes! :)

The Loft by any chance? My mate stays down that way and I've had a couple of good nights in there. More townie clubs like that would be great!

Grandmaster Flash, Jamie Jones, Himself and Her, Jaguar Skills, Shadow Child, Eats Everything, Seb Fontaine & John Kelly, DJ Zinc, Chase and Status - in the sleepy Leicestershire market town of Ashby de la Zouch!

I used to live in Blackpool when the Syndicate had its heyday. Plenty of big names gracing the decks.

The Loft by any chance?
Nah, unfortunately the Loft is lying dormant at the moment. Partly because the owners were competing with themselves with it's sister club, the Source Bar - which is where majority of those acts are appearing. Decided better to close one club and then have another full instead of splitting the crowd.

Levon Vincent played at a bar(with a late "room") in Nottingham recently, I saw Maceo Plex last year to 8)
We don't get much but we get a bit, seen Kevin Griffiths, Nick Dawson, Recloose, Jozif, Matt Tolfrey. Saw Paul Woolford once to but it's never the same as seeing him on the terraze at we love.

b259860f5193eb53266326457bd23260.jpg I don`t think you can get much better than this line up in your local..:)

Attachments

• b259860f5193eb53266326457bd23260.jpg
    b259860f5193eb53266326457bd23260.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm from Preston, I started going out from 2002ish so a little before my time. But Feel at the UCLAN uni was a big night.

Preston - Feel @ University Of Central Lancashire

Feel was born as a small gathering in the backroom of the university bar that grew into a ‘super club’ and became famous nationwide. DJs and performers included Dave Seaman, Paul Oakenfold, Tony De Vit, Judge Jules, Paul Van Dyke, BT and Full Intention who all played alongside residents George Thompson, Da Mentalist, Matt Bell and Luv Dup. I was lucky to spin a few times there, many happy memories!

https://planetradio.co.uk/rock-fm/l...emembers-lancashire-s-biggest-nights-90s-00s/

Now the Preston nightlife for live music is a bit rubbish, 53 degrees and the Guildhall get the odd act but apart from that it's mainly student nights in the week and then Friday/ Saturday your normal Yates/ Revolution crowd

Many will have now heard of Taste the punch

Well they I believe are Luton based and put on some very decent events considering the capacity

One of their latest events for a crowed of I would guess around the 400 mark in real basic room at Luton uni - Steve Lawler and Solardo headlined. What a night it was!!

Now the Preston nightlife for live music is a bit rubbish, 53 degrees and the Guildhall get the odd act but apart from that it's mainly student nights in the week and then Friday/ Saturday your normal Yates/ Revolution crowd

It's the same the UK over. A lot of the smaller towns that used to get the huge names just don't now. :(

Don't blame small city/town promoters for not taking punts on big bookings when artist's & agent's fees have increased, but numbers are tailing off. Plus I'm increasingly seeing promoters getting let down by venues at the eleventh hour. f*** that

Don't blame small city/town promoters for not taking punts on big bookings when artist's & agent's fees have increased, but numbers are tailing off. Plus I'm increasingly seeing promoters getting let down by venues at the eleventh hour. f*** that

Seems to be 'festival' style events all year round now which has harmed club line ups too I think. Brighton is pretty poor for clubbing now which is a shame as when I was 18-22 I now know how spoilt we were at the Zap or Honey Club. Every week would be quality line ups. That said I am sure it is the same in a lot of places and where DJ's / DJ fees are now.

I guess it's all relative, but funny you should mention Brighton, as I'm always really envious of the line-ups going on at The Arch and Patterns. Really affordable admission price (under £10) for a known-headliner most weekends. The likes of Shanti Celeste, Young Marco, Lauren Lo Sung & Denis Sulta seem to play down there regularly. I'd kill for acts like that at that price in my town.

I always tell myself that I should go more often, make a weekend of it. But I never seem to.

Maidstone crowds have been really spoilt by the Fanciullis & Mark Knight bringing talent to the town in the past, so the expectation is so high. Less-established promoters have found it difficult to get any sort of traction because a few prominent players hold the monopoly.

Because of the proximity they also pay London prices for artists, so ticket prices are excessive. To the point where you weigh up whether you stick local? or spend an extra 10-20 quid and travel to London for a guaranteed better night out. No brainer: London wins every time in my book. So my scene is a victim of it's own success. It's cannibalizing itself.

Yet at the same time, I feel privileged that it's on my doorstep. There are bigger places in the UK was a far inferior clubbing scene. That saddens me too.

I don't understand how agents region their fees to be honest. Brighton is as easy and as quick to get to from Gatwick as Maidstone is. Arguably moreso.

I've seen Hot Since 82 a few times in Brighton. Always under a tenner.

That's a £20.00 Earlybird price in London, rising to £35.00 by final release and more on the door!

Back