All year, full time jobs

dom_sophie

My boyfriend and I are moving to Ibiza in the next month or two. I've been having a look on the online Ibiza job centre and Ibiza Sun. I have found a few jobs that could fit my needs and bring in some cash, however, I was just wondering, anyone that has moved over to Ibiza and is a permanant resident, what type of work have you/are you doing? Work that helps to pay the rent, buy food etc? Also what qualifications did you go over with? Would just like a bit of inspiration as I know bar work and waitressing are a big no no in the winter period, but this is when we are getting settled and need to bring in some money to start our life!

If you have any negative or sarcastic replys, don't bother wasting your time because we are far too motivated to listen to it ;)

i notice that you can string a few words together and are fluent in english. have you thought about doing a tefl course and teaching god's own language to the kids here in a private academy? i did it for about 9 years and hated every moment - but it paid my bills.

Hi
I'm a qualified financial advisor and ex police officer, I am currently doing bar work and villa cleaning. In my experience here it's been about proving yourself as a reliable person rather than the bits of paper we get in the UK. If you are fluent in Spanish there's no stopping you but if (like me ) you struggle with languages then you can only hope to pick up these sorts of jobs. Having said that, once you do prove yourself I have found I have had to turn down work as I have to many offered. I wouldn't swap my current lifestyle for the pay cheques I used to get, my quality of life is much better. The pay is not brilliant but I always have enough to live and thats enough. You're not going to get rich here but as long as you can survive thats OK. Hope that gives you an idea.

PS my partner and I came with enough money to last one season with no work - we ate into it pretty quick cos we got caught up in the whole Ibiza lifestyle thing - but we moved here in May. Winter work is hard but try the marinas etc for boat cleaning etc. There's money to be had if you're prepared to work hard. Also I know the language school in San An is looking for english people to have 1/2 hr converstaions with their students in exchage for free spanish lessons.

PS my partner and I came with enough money to last one season with no work - we ate into it pretty quick cos we got caught up in the whole Ibiza lifestyle thing - but we moved here in May. Winter work is hard but try the marinas etc for boat cleaning etc. There's money to be had if you're prepared to work hard. Also I know the language school in San An is looking for english people to have 1/2 hr converstaions with their students in exchage for free spanish lessons.

Ah that's brilliant to know see I wouldn't mind doing that and I could do with spanish lessons definitely! We're trying to teach ourselves at the moment, however it is nowhere near as easy as we would hope as I'm sure you know. As for your first post I wouldn't mind doing the same sort of thing like villa cleaning etc! I'm not too fussed how much I earn as long as I have enough for rent and food! Also we would be planning on starting a family when we're settled in so would need as much money as possible! Thanks for the advice :)

i notice that you can string a few words together and are fluent in english. have you thought about doing a tefl course and teaching god's own language to the kids here in a private academy? i did it for about 9 years and hated every moment - but it paid my bills.

That's definitely a good idea, I did think about doing something of the sort, however wasn't sure whether I'd need a degree or anything like that. I'll have a research into it. Thanks for the advice!

Back