Advice (London City)

jjinit

Hello.

we are going to a wedding reception at "the gherkin" on sat night. It kicks off at 6, we are staying at a hotel on Seeting Lane and are getting there for just after lunchtime. As the wedding food is just canapes we want somewhere we can get a decent lunch. Without breaking the bank, Im thinking of a Cafe bar or nice pubgrub place. can anyone reccommend anything in the vicinity?

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

we are going to a wedding reception at "the gherkin" on sat night. It kicks off at 6, we are staying at a hotel on Seeting Lane and are getting there for just after lunchtime. As the wedding food is just canapes we want somewhere we can get a decent lunch. Without breaking the bank, Im thinking of a Cafe bar or nice pubgrub place. can anyone reccommend anything in the vicinity?

Thanks in advance.

Not much open round that way on a Saturday mate. Avoid Hamilton Hall at Liverpool Street Saturday at all costs! Leadenhall Market is next to it but not sure what restaurants if any are open mate. Mainly pubs near Liverpool Street or curry houses down Brick Lane!

City is pretty much dead :cry:

Not sure what its like round Liverpool St area either, its like the City only runs from Mon - Fri.

You could walk down to near Tower Hill, there are eating places down there.

I love wandering round the City of a weekend - the flat I use is next to the Gherkin and wandering around on a Sat/Sun is like 28 days later - love it!!!!

Restaurants around St Pauls are ok - you can walk it easy from Gherkin or Gaucho Grill under club Quarters on Gracechurch St

Theres a really good fish restaurant in the design museum which is just over tower bridge and to the left on the river. Theres actually quite a few nice places down there all with a great view

the big chill bar, off brick lane do really decent burger combos, bar nosh, nachos etc

and just opposite there, there is an old double decker bus in the courtyard, which has been converted into a veggie restaurant called "the rootmaster"- nice for couples

[that area is about a 5min walk from spitalfields]

if you walk down bethnal green road east from brick lane, then there's a nice turkish place too, that's more of a trek tho

shoreditch high street - the light bar is also quite nice for more english bar food

just off spitalfields, the ten bells en route is a lovely pub with old character if you fancy stopping off there too

the big chill bar, off brick lane do really decent burger combos, bar nosh, nachos etc
Nearly impossible to get a seat. I've tried on every 2nd or 3rd trip to London over the past year or two and have never been able to eat there. Most recently, last month.

Cafe 1001 do great burgers just down 30 seconds from Big Chill . Not nearly as plush but often have dj's playing at weird times of day and ppl out from the night before.:eek:

Cafe 1001 do great burgers just down 30 seconds from Big Chill . Not nearly as plush but often have dj's playing at weird times of day and ppl out from the night before.:eek:

:lol: :lol:

that is a DARK place..

'a burger with ketchup and ketamine please'

Theres a really good fish restaurant in the design museum which is just over tower bridge and to the left on the river. Theres actually quite a few nice places down there all with a great view

Shad Thames, just behind Butlers Wharf, great selection of different price ranged restaurants there! Cracking spot!

cheers guys, to be honest didnt plan on going as far as spitalfields/bishopgate, however weather permitting we may have a walk over tower bridge to butlers wharf to the chop house. failing that apparently theres a pizza express & all bar one over the road from hotel which will suffice.

True! :lol: Seems like it's always packed... especially weekends.

You must just be picking the wrong weekend.... each time I've been there we're got there about 1-2pm and got a seat straight away. It does get busy on warm, summer days, but generally I've had no problem getting a seat and food.

One tip is to go on the weekend of the Big Chill Festival (think it's around the 6-7th August) - it's always totally empty!

The roasts in here are great though mmmmmm :)

Does anyone know if you can book a table/area? I need to sort quite a large group booking soon-ish...

You must just be picking the wrong weekend.... each time I've been there we're got there about 1-2pm and got a seat straight away. It does get busy on warm, summer days, but generally I've had no problem getting a seat and food.

One tip is to go on the weekend of the Big Chill Festival (think it's around the 6-7th August) - it's always totally empty!

The roasts in here are great though mmmmmm :)

Does anyone know if you can book a table/area? I need to sort quite a large group booking soon-ish...

think you can

Tel: 020 7392 9180

Back