A Question For All The Spotlight Men and Women

Folks:

Thanks a lot to those who have responded, and thanks in advance to those who will respond. I truly appreciate it.

MamboBirdette, Glasgow Chick:

MB, Thanks for your constructive criticism. MB & GC, the reason why I asked this question, was based on my coversations with some of my friends who immigrated recently from Europe, their take on the issue was that most Europeans (non-British to be precise, as I was talking to non-British ex-pats) will not use a firearm if they had access to one in the situations that I described above for the following reasons:

They do not want anything to do with firearms
They are not brought up with a "fight for your rights and fight for survival" attitude as Americans are. Instead they have more of a "accept the circumstances" upbringing, and
The issue of moral equivalency, where one would equate using violence for self-defense against violence being inflicted on oneself.

And, no these points are not made in order of significance.

So, the reason for asking this question, is purely based on curiosity. I wanted to hear more from the folks that are currently living in Europe and in UK, that's it. I just find it interesting to see how people from different backgrounds view particular situations. I did not mean to offend anyone. It does not have anything to do with my affinity of firearms.

Gingerfreak and Puppylover:

By the way, one of the basic rules of shooting when being attacked (shooting in self-defense) is shoot to kill, not shoot to injure. Having spent a lot of time with folks in the law enforcement departments (in Austin, TX and Orange County, CA), all cops attest to the fact that the engagement has to be decisive in a gun fight. You may have second thoughts, the other party will not.

Glasgow Chick & Saffy:

If you are a confident person (which by the tone of your message you seem to be one) and had a firearm and you went to the range, let's say once every three weeks, the chances that you would come out on top would be exponentially greater than than the other party. Most of the gang bangers, firstly have firearms that are pure crapola, and secondly, they are not able to hit a barn door at 15m.

Saffy, that's a sensible choice you made. If you hardly have any experience with firearms, then having one can and possibly will become a liability. The same sorta goes for folks with a lot of firearms who have very limited experience with any one particular firearm. There is a saying in the firearms community, "Always beware of the person with one gun, because he definitely knows how to use it."

Once again, I sincerely thank everyone who has participated. As mentioned earlier, the reason for this post has nothing to do with my pro-second amendment (individual's right to bear arms) stance. I simply like discussing various thought provoking issues (no matter how controversial), especially with folks from different backgrounds than myself. You never know what you might learn.

Have a Good Weekend,

LagunaBeachCA

N8 said:
what guns do you own Laguna?

N8:

I have a handgun, a Glock 22 (.40S&W caliber). Standard issue of for the FBI.

g22.jpg

I have three rifles, a customized Ruger 10/22 (.22 rimfire). It is the same as the picture but without the muzzle break, a super accurate plinker (as accurate as the Anschutz rifles used by marksmen in the olympics).

1022c.jpg

The Steyr SSG PIIK with a Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman scope. The rifle is a standard sniper/counter-sniper rifle for the Austrian Army and many other police forces and armed forces globally, and the pride of my collection. It fires the .308 Winchester (same as 7.62mm x 51mm NATO). The one that I have is black (rifle and scope).

Steyr_SSG_PIIK_308.jpg

The California legal AR-15 (SEMI-Auto Assault rifle). Looks exactly the same as an M-16, but with a fixed magazine receiver.

Have a Good Weekend,

LagunaBeachCA

I would never try and kill them, murder is too 'final'.

Wouldn't think twice about a bit of torture and witnessing their last footsteps unaided.

Fcuk this tho, what a horrible thread.

Laguna - Why 3 guns?! I could maybe justify the pistol as an under-the-bed robber-stopper, but why the rifles?!

LagunaBeachCA said:
They are not brought up with a "fight for your rights and fight for survival" attitude as Americans are. Instead they have more of a "accept the circumstances" upbringing

Your totally brainwashed by the hill billy lifestyle.

"Let's invaid another country buuoys"

N8:

Thanks for the compliment.

X-Amount:

The Glock is for self-defense (if the need ever were to exist), but it also satisfies my shooting interests. The rifles are purely hobby. When it comes shooting, I am much more of a rifle guy, than a handgun guy. I love things that are very precise, and hence, precision shooting should not be a surprise. The .22 was my first rifle (and firearm), then I wanted something that was state of the art in a higher caliber, thus the SSG with the S&B PM scope. The AR is more of a collection item than anything else.

CraigyB:

S. CA is not hill billy, and the statements were made by European ex-pats, which is why I asked the hypothetical question to get some feedback from the people who really live there (Europe).

Cheers,

LagunaBeachCA

CraigyB said:
Rickaroo said:
N8 said:
I'd shoot them once or twice to incapacitate them then spend a good hour or two tourturing them before putting one in their head.

Absolutely!

Your only saying that because the post is from immigrants - Hillbilly!

Actually, some immigrants are good. For example, I don't think America could ever get enough hot, blonde hair, blue eyed swedish immigrants, or norweigians, germans, welsh, austrians etc..etc..

You get the picture, right? ;)

I would make sure at the very least that the dirty perverted mongrel was injured badly, blast their hands for starters. :evil:
Let them suffer for the rest of their miserable existance, just like their victim would suffer.
Part reason why I decided to take up kickboxing.

Speaking from a hypothetical point of view (I dont own a gun) I would shoot him in the balls.

BTW - Strange post! :confused:

Rickaroo said:
CraigyB said:
Rickaroo said:
N8 said:
I'd shoot them once or twice to incapacitate them then spend a good hour or two tourturing them before putting one in their head.

Absolutely!

Your only saying that because the post is from immigrants - Hillbilly!

Actually, some immigrants are good. For example, I don't think America could ever get enough hot, blonde hair, blue eyed swedish immigrants, or norweigians, germans, welsh, austrians etc..etc..

You get the picture, right? ;)

Yes starting to get the picture about you big time.
How discriminative.

silvia said:
Hola Laguna,

For me it's easy, firearms are wrong so there's no way I have firearm with me in case of risk. Hope it makes sense for you ;)

id shoot to injure him, maybe the leg or sommat, then i'd torture the fooker for a few hours, then i would shoot him up his ass i believe the mob call it "buckwheat" then let the coont die, slowly & painfully!!!

hope this answers your question ;)

Back