48 Hours in Ibiza

vroom

Right, so a review.

At a fairly last minute decision I decided to join a few friends in Ibiza for the weekend. It was their first time and my 10th, so I figured I might be of use in a tour guide type capacity.

Flight was booked for 10pm with Monarch out of Gatwick, caught a train from City Thameslink, mucho convenient. On the train I had a cheese sandwich, which was delicious and I liked to think a good omen for my trip. Most people on the train looked tired and sad, I on the other hand, was both upbeat and excited. Fuelled, in part, by that delicious sandwich.

Said a sad adios to another friend ho happened to be leaving the UK that same night on a different flight and booked into my own flight. My co-passengers were made up of suave clubbers, Argos laden jewelry totting geezers and groups of portly "Ibiza 09" polo shirt wearing lasses. A motley crew indeed! If we had crashed and landed on a desert island I would give our chances of survival in a matter of hours rather than days.

But luckily we didn't crash, in fact I spent most of the flight looking on enviously as the groups of lads and lasses threw back the drinks and generally got into a party spirit. Being both old and without cohorts I had to be content with sudoku, a metro and a heat magazine that I found in the lounge. Take that Ms Marple!

On arrival I met a lovely couple who borrowed a couple of B and H off me in the taxi queue, we shared a cab to PDB. Given that I was only over for the weekend I wanted to stay somewhere cheap. Hotel Mare Notrum ticked all the boxes at 25€ a night. Clean, close (10 min walk) to everything, basic but with a decent enough bed and bathroom. Got in about 2am, watched a bit of Spanish TV and crashed to make the most of my Saturday.

Woke up about 8.30 (the curse of never being able to sleep in, post 30 years old!) wandered down to breakfast, included in my 25€! Not bad, if you have ever had a standard hotel buffet in Italy or Spain you know what to expect, dodgy eggs, pastries, cold meats, the worlds worst bacon and other assorted stuff. Not a patch on my train sandwich. Fashioned something resembling a reasonable breakfast, with a few cups of coffee and headed down to Jet Apartments, ( my friends had been moved there as their other accommodation was being renovated). Met them at Passion, where they had an excellent breakfast, I recommend it if you are in PDB. I had a few camels and a cervassa. (Ciggies for 3.60€ - I love you Spain)

Weather had been mixed all week and the day started out a bit overcast and wet, but it looked like it was going to clear so we headed over to Blue Marlin at Cala Jondal, by about 11am the weather had cleared and it was a glorious day. Blue Marlin had it's pretentious hat on and a private function at 6pm, so we walked next door to soak up the sun. Spent the next few hours sunbathing and drinking cocktails, with my friends. Life is good.

As I only had two days and having grown up by the beach, going for a swim was high on the agenda, if you have been to Cala Jondal you will know that access to the sea can be somewhat treacherous given the rocky shore. None the less I made a teetering entrance and managed a quick swim. Getting ashore was less gracious and I washed ashore against the rocks like a dead dolphin.

Headed back to PDB having acquired the standard geezer tan (bright red) for a power nap and shower. As it was both a birthday and first time, the girls where keen to head to Pacha. We had booked reservations for dinner and though I am not a huge Pacha fan I don't mind Defected so was looking forward to it.

Had a cocktail at the sushi bar nearby before heading in for dinner at 10.30. Dinner was fine, the girls had sushi and tempura I opted for lamb. everything was very tasty and I thought quite reasonable. Drinks, dinner and deserts came to about 350 for the five of us. Headed into the club about 1ish. Wandered for a bit in the various rooms had a few drinks before settling in the main room where we spent most of the night.

Bit of a mistake, the music was Ok’ish and shapeshifter were alright (I like Lisa Millets live vocals), but I am not a fan of percussion so struggled a wee bit. The crowd was an odd mix. Particular lowlights where the mad Dutch guy who insisted on High-5's for every person he ran into. Don't get me wrong I like high-5's. What I don't like is having a wild pilled up, madman repetitively demand a continual un-ending stream of them from me and my friends. Eventually he was deflected into the crowd hands aloft looking for more palm slapping victims.

The other downer was all the dudes trying to pull. Damn it was a sea of men all trying to get laid. My friends can look after themselves but the amount of times I was employed as a barricade to gyrating guys. There is only so may semi erect members against my thigh I can take. Stayed until about 5.30 before grabbing a taxi.

Woke up Sunday about 9ish, feeling a bit flat after Pacha and wondered if I had fallen out of love with Ibiza. Checked out of Mare Nostrum and headed over to the girls apartment. Woke them up, slept on the couch and chilled till about midday. Weather had turned a bit nasty at this point, so caught up on my Grazia and Heat, .

Had some wristbands for We Love at 15€, I was dubious as I hadn't been to Space since 2006 and wasn't sure how busy it would be in the afternoon with the closing next week.

I should not have doubted Space. Best. Sunday. Ever.

The weather cleared around 5pm we were in by 5.45 and even though it was quiet, the music was already 1000 times better than Pacha. The crowd slowly built up till about 7 when we hit the terrace. Now I can't tell you who played and I can't name-check any of the tunes. But it was superb! (Maybe someone can help?) I danced solidly from 7 till 11.00 when I had to leave! (Flying at 12.30) The crowd was great! (Besides some chap who was ruined from the moment he walked in and subsequently got a smack in the chops from some hot Spanish bird who didn't take kindly to his thrusting advances.) It wasn't as busy as previous visits but this really worked, no more pushing through huge crowds to get the toilet or cross the floor. A really good number of people made for a great atmosphere, beautiful women, fantastic tunes and the best party on the island.

Brilliant!

Flew home. paid 15 quid for legroom which meant I got a row to myself and a few hours sleep. Got in at 3am home by 5am and back to work at 10am for a super productive day!

great review. tell us more about the cheese sandwich, what type of cheese was it, was there any tomato or maybe a bit of chutney?

... On the train I had a cheese sandwich,
which was delicious and I liked to think a good omen for my trip.
Most people on the train looked tired and sad,
I on the other hand, was both upbeat and excited.
Fuelled, in part, by that delicious sandwich ...
:lol:

... My co-passengers were made up of suave clubbers,
Argos laden jewelry totting geezers and
groups of portly "Ibiza 09" polo shirt wearing lasses.
A motley crew indeed!

If we had crashed and landed on a desert island
I would give our chances of survival in a matter of hours rather than days ...
:lol: :lol:

... if you have been to Cala Jondal you will know
that access to the sea can be somewhat treacherous given the rocky shore.
None the less I made a teetering entrance and managed a quick swim.

Getting ashore was less gracious and I washed ashore against the rocks
like a dead dolphin ...
:lol:

Back