30th August - 5th September...

DanielR

My 2nd Ibiza adventure this year and my 3rd visit in total. I was over for the first week in June. I didn't bother writing a full review for that as we didn't really do much.

Saturday 30th August

My flight to Ibiza had the usual chavs on it. It was actually 20 mins late in taking off because they wouldn't stop shouting, swearing and singing. The cabin crew asked them to be quiet or they would be disembarked, and explained that they had a mixed age group on board. Still they went on and on....... absolute w**kers!!

I was playing at The Orange Corner at 9pm but was eager to get up and about so at midday I walked in to Ibiza Town then got the bus to San Antonio. After getting lost in Ibiza Town I eventually got to San Antonio around 2.30. I spent the day walking around taking in some sights and having a lot of beers.

Played 9pm - midnight a set of house and techno. After that I went to Mondo Loco @ Eden with one of the guys from The Orange Corner and a couple of his mates. Got in for free. I was pretty far gone by this point and don't really remember much.

I got the discobus back to Ibiza Town at 5 (I think) then proceeded to walk for a couple of hours in the wrong direction.:oops: Instead of walking back through Figueretas to Playa Den Bossa I somehow managed to walk out the road to the right of the McDonalds. With me being rather merry at the time it took me until 8 oclock to realise I was seriously lost. I flagged down a taxi and got back to my hotel at 830am.:D

Sunday 31st August

Slept through until 4pm. Got up, went to the Spar shop and bought some provisions. Chilled out in my room for a few hours, still very tired and quite hungover.

I texted some friends that I knew were over the same time as me and arranged to meet them in Space. Cracked on with the Vodka in my room then headed to Space at 11. Met my friends in The Discoteca then we went to The Terrace where we caught Paul Woolford, Steve Lawler and Miss Kitten. Not sure how much of Miss Kitten I ssen as I remember being in the Discoteca for Erol Alkan too. His set was average, sounding far too much like the set he played at T In The Park. Highlight of the night was Paul Woolford. I think I stayed in the Discoteca til closing time, I seem to remember the lights coming on.

Monday 1st September

Woke up at midday and I was still drunk. I was playing in The Orange Corner at 2 so I had to get a move on. Got ready and walked it in to Ibiza Town and got a bus at around 1 to San Antonio. Got to The Orange Corner not long after 130, just in time for something to eat which made me feel much better.

I ended up playing from 2 til 8 , a set of soul, disco and funk. I don't often get the chance to play these tunes at home so it was great to be able to pretty much play what I wanted. It went down really well, with a few people asking for demos and if I was playing anywhere else.

I had arranged to meet the same friends from the night before and get taxis to DC-10, as they were staying in San An. Ended up getting to DC-10 around 9 and went straight to the terrace No idea who was playing but it was good. The place was going nuts. Stayed on the terrace until it closed then went inside for a while. The rest of the guys were going to Cocoon which I decided against due to the fact I had went hugely over budget already. Then I bumped in to one of the guys I had been out with on Saturday night and went back to Eden with them. In for free and VIP as one of the guys from the Orange Corner was DJing there ( Will Clarke , top bloke) Koolwaters was OK. I'm not a fan of Eden though. It's not a bad club but it doesn't really feel like an Ibiza club if that makes any sense.

I left around 4 ( I think) and tried to catch a discobus, before giving in and getting a taxi.

Tuesday 2nd September

I was really tired and spent nearly all day in bed. Got up at 8 and texted to see what my friends were doing. They were at Bora Bora drinking a carry-out on the beach. .... ideal!! Got some beers and joined them. Went in to Space around 1. I went to the Terrace for Roni Size , who was brilliant!! Was in there myself as none of them like Drum&Bass. After about an hour I went and got the rest of them in The Discoteca. Don't know who was on before Coxy but he was average. Coxy came on at 3 and stepped it up a gear but it never really took off and I left around 430. Suppose I should've stayed and gave it a chance but I was far too knackered and wanted to be up early Wednesday to hire a car.

Wednesday 3rd September

Got up at 10 and strolled along to a car hire place and hired a wee Suzuki Samuri. My plan was to go and climb up to the watch tower opposite es Vedra and then head for the north of the island. I drove down to Cala D'Hort and then followed the directions to the watch tower which I found on this thread.

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=54373&highlight=watch+tower+es+vedra

I made one or two wrong turning but eventually found the place to park. Instead of walking along the very obvious path to the clearing, I climbed up the back of the hill and over the top when I should have went up the side. Nevermind though, it was worth it when I got to the top. It was such an amazing sight to see that watch tower and Es Vedra. I was the only person there for a good half hour and I sat up there myself just taking in the views.... WOW!! Can't really put it in to words what it felt like. Easily my fondest Ibiza memory. I'll be going back there .

I took the car back at 3 and didn't drive north as I was totally done in. In hindsight I should have done that later in the day when it was cooler.

I dropped the car off and went to bed.

Thursday 4th September

I had been in bed since the previous afternoon and had a ****ty sleep, which included a good bout of sleep paralysis. Got up at 2 and decided to take a walk in to Ibiza Town. I went and had a walk around Dalt Villa and and a few cold beers at one of the bars there. I noticed there was a jazz band on at 8pm which I considered waiting around for but instead walked around Ibiza town a bit and had dinner at Bella Napoli which was not bad, then walked back to Playa Den Bossa. Again, I was totally knackered and again, in hindsight should have done that later in the day when it was cooler.

Lay in bed for an hour then decided to give Be @ Space a visit. I walked along at around 1030 and found a free wristband on the pavement:)

Got in at 1055 and caught Wally Lopez on the Sunset Terrace. Really enjoyed his set . Went in the Discoteca as soon as it opened for DT. He was playing just what i'd expect from him , pumping/tribal/techno. It didn't take too long to fill up nicely and it was a good night but I was sober and knackered so left at 2.

Friday 5th September

Checked out at midday, which was a problem as my flight was 16 hours later. sat in the hotel lobby til 8pm and finished a book ( Irvine Welsh , Filth). Then walked along and stopped at nice wee restaurant where I had the garlic prawns which were amazing. Can't remeber the name of the place. It was on the main road from Playa Den Bossa towards Ibiza Town. While I was sitting there outside Spiderman casually walked past, must've been on his way to Bora Bora.Went to the airport at 10 and dossed about until my flight.

General
Thought Mare Nostrum was OK, my room was small and basic. It was clean though and the air con was ice cold. The maids tried to come in the room twice even when I had the 'do not disturb' sign up on my door. I found this quite annoying. I had ear plugs with me so I had no problems with noise.

I was never at Bora Bora at a decent hour so I can't really comment on that.

DC-10 felt as wild as I'd expected. The music was a bit more deeper and pumping and there was even a couple of uplifting tunes in there. Someone did try to pick pocket me though. I felt something in my back pocket and turned round to see a hand dissapear. Just as well I don't keep anything in my back pockets while I'm in nightclubs eh?

Glad I got to at least see a little bit of the island this time and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it the next time I go.

I'll add a picture or two when I get round to it.

Tunes..... I'll update this in a bit . My head is still a bit twisted.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent review mate!

What was the highlights of your holiday and who played the best sets?- (don't say you!:twisted:)

I know what you mean about Ibiza town- when you drive through it it doesn't look likes theres much to it- but on foot can be a nightmare- around the D'alt Vila area is like a labirynth! :eek:

great review mate, seems like u had a wicked time. yeah those maids in mare nostrum are well dodgy, we reckon we got robbed from them as i said in my review

Excellent review mate!

What was the highlights of your holiday and who played the best sets?- (don't say you!:twisted:)

I know what you mean about Ibiza town- when you drive through it it doesn't look likes theres much to it- but on foot can be a nightmare- around the D'alt Vila area is like a labirynth! :eek:

Highlight of my holiday was climbing up to the watch tower opposite Es Vedra. Stunning.

Best sets for me were Woolford, Roni Size and Danny Tenaglia.

Some tunes that I played on the Monday at The Orange Corner, just to give you a flavour of what I was playing.

Camille Yarbrough - Take Yo Praise
Labi Siffre - I got the...
Creative Source - Who Is He And What Is He To You
Carol Williams - Love Is You
Chaka Khan - Fate
Rare Pleasure - Let Me Down Easy
Buddy Rich - The Beat Goes On
Tony Lee - Reach Up
D:Train - You're the one for me
Shannon - let The Music Play
Jim Ingram - Drumbeat
Patrice Rushen - Haven't You Heard
Ann Robinson - You Did It
Sly And The Family stone - In To My Own Thing
John Barry and His Orchestra - Beat Girl
Quincy Jones - Summer In The City
Edwin Birdsong - Cola Bottle Baby
Double Exposure - Everynam
The Chi Lites - My First Mistake
Marlena Shaw - California Soul
Lalo Shifrin - jim On The Move
Candido - Thousand Finger Man
Two Tons O Fun - Got The Feeling
Teddy Pendergrass - You Can't Hide From Yourself
Roy Ayers - Sweet Tears
Inner Life - Moment Of My Life
John David Orshestra - Bourgie Bourgie
Revelation - Feel It
SalSoul Orchestra - Runaway
SalSoll Orchestra - Take Some Time Out For Love
Frontline Orchestra - Don't Turn Your Back On Me
Logg - You've Got That Something.

Highlight of my holiday was climbing up to the watch tower opposite Es Vedra. Stunning.

Best sets for me were Woolford, Roni Size and Danny Tenaglia.

Yeah DT is the man isn't he? :)

Some tunes that I played on the Monday at The Orange Corner, just to give you a flavour of what I was playing.

Chaka Khan - Fate
Tony Lee - Reach Up
Jim Ingram - Drumbeat
Roy Ayers - Sweet Tears
Revelation - Feel It

Bit too funky for my tastes but all good! 8)

Chaka Khan - Fate
Tony Lee - Reach Up
Jim Ingram - Drumbeat
Roy Ayers - Sweet Tears
Revelation - Feel It

wow im impressed mate,that's like some of the type of stuff id play sometimes,i always thought you were more into prog house and techno?

Great Review mate and pics ...
didnt make it down to the orange corner the days u were there due to the zoo project and going to dc10 on the 1st ... looks like the place would have been rocking with your tunes selection as well .. ;)

Back