29th june - 12th july - huge review!!!

gcam

Another 2 weeks!!! lol

I could review my whole hols from my excellently located yet dirty, shoddy apartments (Es Calo Playa), to the reduction in club water prices resisting the extortionate price rises (is the Euro to blame?) but the clubs are more exciting so lets talk dancing!!

29th June - We Love Sundays @ Space - Superchumbo, Steve Lawler, Unknown Resident

So I went to space once last year.. last night of my holiday money was low but sasha was playing..i had to go… after the long bus trip over I was sorely disappointed. The inside of space is big and black and sasha was duller and darker than the deepest corner in the place. The terrace was well and truly over as bodies of mass destruction lay around it every where. I felt I missed the party.

This year I made no such mistake. After a delayed flight from Glasgow we reached Ibiza at 10am.. a few hours sleep, no food a litre of vodka and at 6pm I embraced the terrace…

I walked in smashed, a very happy smashed, and superchumbo had already placed firm smiles on the happy terrace people…. Lee Cabrera’s Shake It just ripped the soul out of the place then gave it back a bigger soul when the breakdown kicked in!! Wicked!

Next up was the res who started with last years biggest underground tune “Blackwater”. This was, unfortunately and regrettable the second last tune I would remember. I was just too messed up!! Talking to strangers, asking ridiculous questions and enjoying some ridiculous dancing I had a ball but it was a blurry ball. In the midst of it I remember going to the toilet then running back to the dance floor before I got their as the ever recognisable “music…. Music….. music…” of X-press 2’s classic Muzik X press hammered out of the speakers…

To the man I waited for, Lawler, and it really is a blur… chunky funky terrace music was the order of the, now night, finishing in the huge “Let’s Get Ill” and yes I did dance – it’s all in good fun!!

All in all and excellent first night although a little to messy. Space had re written my opinions of it…although I didn’t risk ruining it by going inside!

Excellent first day!

Manumission @ Privilege with Griff & Dave Seaman!

So we’ve all done it before…fought through the tourists, wowed and wooed the spectacular shows and danced to remixes of the “big” dance tunes. I went because my friends wanted to.

I’m so glad I did.

Privilege is an experience in it’s self and walking in to “Do Your Thing” was awesome!! The females and males were fantastic (costumes and looks), the show was anything murder (sorry bout the pun) and Dave Seaman was sensational, although he may have played a more commercial set than usual.

The music was on a party vibe all night with “my love is always there”, “Justin T”, “Less Talk”, “So Much Love” and “Sweet Dreams”.

Seaman was the real shock. Having never seen him I was interested to see what he would do as A Global Underground DJ in Manumission puzzled me. He was Sensational. Funky Proggy music starting with a huge proggy number with a woman breathing in an opera style…any one know this track? He also dropped “Let’s Get Ill” and the moment of my night was “Running Up That Hill”. Only regrets were leaving it to late to go into the globe and watch sunrise but let’s not cry over spilt milk….excellent night all round.

Underwater @ Pacha – Darren Emerson, Xpress 2, Neil Anthony

Props to Neil Anthony for a great set warming up for Emerson. Big chunky house from the guy who started everything in a student union! Pacha was extremely quiet till 2.30am then filled quickly as Emerson took the decks. This was the first time I had seen Emerson and I was more than a little excited after warming up to the excellent Underwater CD at the flat. He was really good taking things a little more techy from Anthony’s house sound.

Finally the thing I was waiting for – X Press 2!!! I was puzzled as to how Pacha’s Petit DJ booth would fit 6 decks – surely logistically impossible. But a trip up the stairs behind the booth revealed all – the door was locked with the third set of decks set up behind it. X Press 2 did not disappoint. They were absolutely amazing adding some tracky funk to the techy house of Emerson and Anthony. These 3 Dj’ing gangs played perfectly for one another and the night flowed so well. I later found out that Emerson was supposed to finish but X Press 2 had a flight problem resulting in them finishing… I think the airline were looking out for Pacha’s clubbers. X-Press 2 played the best encore I have ever heard dropping octave 1, eurythmics and then chaka khan’s aint nobody……. Emerson then finished with his own mix of “Less Talk” after A certain mr morillo took too the mic and requested one more tune….. looking up I sensed a cocky morillo gate crashing a new night….made sense of Emerson’s recent claims of Morillo being “a control freek”…….

A wee mention about Pacha and the set up. It amazes me why Underwater et al want to have parties in Pacha. It is over priced and snooty, an image which clubbing does not need. However underwater’s visuals were sensational….bubbles on the white boards giving that sinking feeling (sorry) and the clean cut aqua blue underwater logo on every wall. Musically, and visually this was a pleasing night…pity about the venue..

Sublliminal @ Pacha with Eric Morillo and Cassius

OK. Call me a hipocryte..i just slagged pacha and morillo yet I’m going to see them.
I love subliminal and until last night I loved morillo so that’s my reason…. I’m not going to let the snobs of pacha ruin my love of dance music.

Tonight was Morillo’s turn to show that he didn’t need underwater to succed (although he did try to take the thunder last night! Lol).

A singular cassius (no bearded one) was warming up a busier Pacha as we entered and done a very good job playing what was quickly becoming the summer tune – their own “Sunshine”. Overall he played very well before mr morillo came down.

After no less than five minutes of Mic action from morillo the needle finally hit the groove and a cheesy old acapella about peace love and happiness pipes out. This set the tone for the night. Morillo was very disappointing. Subliminal by numbers seems to becoming more common for this guy and if you put your hands over your eyes it could have been last year. He played all the tunes from the last 3 years (not all classics) His mixing was sketchy on several occasions and their was no morillo magic. He finished with an hour of ear splitting “tin pan house” all the tunes sounding like someone hitting a pot with a spoon to a basic drum roll.

Morillo 90% guarantees a good night…he is a good dj…. But it’s all the same tunes and all the same tricks. The highlights were hccr’s “I go back” but finishing on 808 state and Ministers De La Funk’s “Believe” highlights the points I’ve made above.

Round One to Underwater guys……. In fact round 2 to Darren and Co I wouldn’t be making my planned second trip to subliminal.

Rest of week one was all about vodka limons @ mambo…..

We Love Sundays @ Space…….Cassius, Lawler

After a week of hammering I decided I wanted a bit of a rest..but at Space…I started the trek to Playa Den Deciding not to drink or take anything…. Just to enjoy the music….big risk I hear you say .it’s a long day!

I’m so glad I done it…. Cassius (singular again) was tremendous….. Hammering out amazing funky French house which gave a sober guy goose pimples on several occasions… dropping “sunshine”, Feeling for you” and “sound of violenece” he highlighted just how good these guys were at producing. The mixing was pretty poor at times( he didn’t rely on headphones much. appearing to mix live!!) but the tune selection made up for it…

Lawler came on after 20 mins of waiting as the crowd wanted more Cassius !!! When he did his first record had a big scratch which he laughed off while the sound guys attempted to fix it mid spin !! Cassius had all ready had a needle fly right off the record earlier so they were well worked!! Lawler was his usual self hammering huge chunky tunes including “Come Together”, “Music is the answer” and a massive tune with the vocal “Lets get this party started…….” Anyone? He finished with Afrika Bambatta’s classic Be Bop a Be Bop A Lula to a delighted terrace…. Again I refused to venture inside and went home on a high….

The space terrace had now cemented it’s place as my second favourite club in Ibiza after Amnesia.

Underwater@ Pacha with Darren Emerson, Neil Anthony, Tim Deluxe and Layo & Bushwacka!

What a mouth watering line up!

What a bizarre night!

I perched my self eagerly behind the decks to see Neil Anthony yet again simmering away (no big tunes!!! Well done!!) to a ¾ full pacha. Again he played well. As Layo and Bushwacka came on I watched in wonder as they tore the place up, from funky house to techy house their speed behind the decks amazed me. As I downed another 10 quid whisky I felt the need to have a chat with a nearby Neil Anthony who talked away – great guy. Next thing I new I had emerson. Deluxe and Morillo standing beside me!! Being pissed I asked Deluxe how his leg was after his BMXing thing and he grabs morillo b the shirt shouting it was his fault! For some reason morillo explains himself to me!! I then cheekily ask him if he is gate crashing the u water parties to which I get a morillo esque “No way baby, were lovin everybody @ underwater and @ subliminal, it’s all about these great parties and you gotta show us all some love” er ok mate.

Back to the music and layo and bushwacka were excellent as another set of Dj’s I seen for the first time. As they finished Emerson and Deluxe took to the decks pulling out all manner of FX units. but what really caught my attention was the 2 bottles of wine, two bottles of water, 1 litre of absolut and 16 bottles of orange now in the booth.

As Deluxe started with an excellent white stripes mix my legs started moving for the first time. I then, in all my wisdom, attempted to drink their water. After seeing a girl ask the guy, who was pouring the drinks for Emerson and Deluxe, for some water I promptly got her to fill my glass….

Then the most bizarre thing that has ever happened whilst clubbing happened…

Over the next four hours Matt from Underwater promptly filled my glass with orange absolut and ice… Trevor Nelson offered me a puff from his ahem freshly rolled cigarette and I chatted away with the underwater team. I don’t know if it was a misunderstanding or if I was being a groupie but I was wrecked on about a litre of free absolut…..PACHA REVENGE IS SWEET!!!

Musically this was again sensational hearing “Everybody” , “I Feel Love” “Shake Yours”. The new Tim Deluxe Track and “born slippy” I left bleary eyed at 8am and realised I had just had one of my best clubbing experiences ever..

Matt from Underwater…I salute you!

OK im going on a bit so last night!!! Cream @ Amnesia – Jon Carter, andy Carol, steve Lee

I love the terrace in amnesia and spending my last night out there was a joy. Getting there early to enjoy the warm up dj was great and he really got a tired (still sober) dance fan in the mood. Jon Carter came on about 4 and started with some excellent Balearic records. He quickly moved into the vocal house of Tony Senghore’s “Is the System Working” Sharam Jay’s “Shake Yours” and Mutiny’s “Jack You. Finishing the housey stuff with his own “Go Down” it all went dark and techy!! We had Paul Jackson’s “The Push”, A massive version of “you got the love” and some really good deep stuff. He finished fantastically on cosmos’s mix of “clocks”.

Now I don’t know who the last dj was but he was amazing! He was hammering out the classics and it was superb. Triscos’ “Muzik”, “Shake It” and every other house tune that you know!!!

He finished with “two months off”, “sunshine” and then “Café del mar” – the first time ive heard the latter in a club…it all cam to a premature end as a steward pulled the plug during the breakdown…it was 7am already ….

Cream has suffered hard but they still know how to do it and in a venue as amazing as amnesia it really does go off!!

gcam said:
After no less than five minutes of Mic action from morillo the needle finally hit the groove and a cheesy old acapella about peace love and happiness pipes out. This set the tone for the night. Morillo was very disappointing. Subliminal by numbers seems to becoming more common for this guy and if you put your hands over your eyes it could have been last year. He played all the tunes from the last 3 years (not all classics) His mixing was sketchy on several occasions and their was no morillo magic. He finished with an hour of ear splitting “tin pan house” all the tunes sounding like someone hitting a pot with a spoon to a basic drum roll.

Excellent review mate, see nothing has changed with Morillo!

The guy is pure cheese these days, he's lost it for me.

Back