2014 The Quietest Season in the west end

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone reading this who's still to visit Ibiza and in particular San Antonio this summer, I wouldn't read too much into the comments saying the west ends like a ghost town etc as it really isn't the case.

Have been working in the west end pretty much every night since start of May this summer and whilst it's not been quite as busy as the past couple of summers there's still plenty of busy venues and good nights to be had if the west end is your type of thing.

Noticed a comment saying it should be pumping by around 9:30pm but IMO not the case and never will be, sun at the moment goes down just before 9 then most people will maybe go for some food, back to hotel for drinks / get ready / use AI bar until it finishes and then head out maybe around 12'isg whether to the west end or elsewhere, IMO it's really 1'ish before things really start to get going in west end.

Considering on a nightly (and daily basis) what the west end is competing I really don't think it's doing all too badly, fair enough it's never gonna be everyone's cup of tea and there's always gonna be room to improve but there's still a lot of people enjoying themselves and having a great time in the area every night who probably quite enjoy being able to afford to drink in venues all night as it suits their budget.

Yeah it's been a bit quieter this summer but by no means a ghost town or dead, still plenty of good nights to be had in busy venues that won't break the bank.

Obviously it has it's good points and it's bad points but doesn't everywhere?

I'm in San Antonio atm and yesterday I spent the whole night here...we had dinner @ el rincon the pepe then cafe mambo 4 insane pre-party to catch reboot...not a ghost town but a lot of ppl (not soooo busy)
I think that a lot of tourists are going to ushuaia till midnight so seems like that there are not many ppl here but yesterday I saw the difference compared to the night before....

Yeah traditionally this weekend is a tough weekend in west end and probably some other places also as big bank holiday weekend uk so inflated flight prices competition from festivals etc also, same every year... ps love el Rincon de pepe, top tapas!

"...
The theme of Sant Antoni is it still the black sheep of the Balearic Islands?
How do you see it?

Sant Antoni 'In what is observed is that hoteliers have invested heavily in their establishments.
They are concerned because in the first half of July there was a drop in Sant Antoni. They are working hard to get it back.
There are many entrepreneurs who have stopped working with tour operators and are diversifying markets.
The key is to diversify Sant Antoni market, ie, not put all the places in the hands of the British market.
I know this is our main market. But this year they have started to other markets in Sant Antoni appear, such as the Scandinavians or the Dutch.
I believe that more and more direct contracting without tour operator, and each time the hotel will, through its website, can market directly.
Have more control over their clientele.

When you hire a tour operator, in this pack come all the clients he sends you. I have nothing against tour operators, but in Sant Antoni see that many people are turning to market themselves.
..."

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...1400-casas-turisticas-legalizadas/715036.html

Fewer Brits in San Antoni hotels = less demand in the West End. Simple answer then ! One of the things which everyone used to say they preferred about Bossa was that it was more cosmopolitan. Sounds like San Antoni thinks the same trend can be encouraged there. They do, however, need to take a look at the problems Bossa now has and what the slightly more affluent market has brought with it. Crime and violence have shifted to where the money is. Anyone regularly in both places on the same day would be hard pressed to deny it.

Last edited:
PDB suits most people on the island for a clubbing holiday or who want to spend their trip in an unfit state to drive, so they don't have to travel so far for the next party. With Space, Sankeys & Ushuaia not even requiring a bus or taxi (and the occasional foray to Amnesia a 1-way taxi home) it probably makes sense. Seeing as most days will be spent in bed anyway. Can't see San An competing with that market as there's not much on offer except a few bars in San An these days so any "done-up hotels" will need to source their business from people wanting other things.

You don't get value for money out of anything in Bossa. The place exploits its location and rips people off at every level. Hotels are no exception. What they charge for what they deliver are well out of kilter. The highest price places like Ushuaia are even worse than the 3-4* hotels (complete and total rip-off - for that price per night you can get truly great service and hotel somewhere nice to be and without the surly, disrespectful edge that comes with this sort of scene).

So far as I can see, being able to get "messed up" in your apartment before weaving to a party on foot (and being able to walk home) is about all the place allows. And for that you get taken advantage of. Because there are only so many rooms and in Season there are enough people willing to pay it. I think people have VERY LOW EXPECTATIONS nowadays of what to expect for your money, or else have never really been places where you get much better product and service for half the price.

I don't really care whether I'm spending hundreds of euros on a boat rental or 25Euros on a dinner, I like to get decent value and quality for the money spent. Finding value for money is by far the biggest challenge in much of Ibiza. It is possible but gets harder and harder as everyone cashes in on people far too easily parted with their money. I can only hope the influx of Dutch tourists will bring some sense into the place. As a nation, they are not known for being happy to be "fleeced".

Last edited:
Just got back from Ibiza

Stopped in San An spent lots of time at the clubs though (space dc10 zoo amnesia)

San An similar to most other years for me, its NEVER been busy at 9:30pm, it was busy around 12 ish

For what its worth Ibiza as always puts any other place in the shade.

LOVE THE PLACE

LOVE THE PEOPLE

IBIZA VIRGINS READING THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID

Ibiza is alive n kicking

No place like it on earth

"..
Almost 80 traders and residents of the town of Sant Antoni have sent a letter to the mayor, Pepita Gutiérrez, to express their outrage at the disorder that prevails in the village due to the usual problems of street vending, drug trafficking , prostitution and widespread chaos. Representatives of this group will meet on Friday with the mayor to personally expose these problems.
The letter points out that "the main source of income is the Sant Antoni turisitica activity, but it seems that this is the last priority of the City Council." This is because Sant Antoni "has become almost a town without law, where, apparently, the only ones who are required to comply are just a few", in reference to themselves.

The picture that describes the letter sent to the City evidence that chronic problems Sant Antoni, far from being solved, will worsen, "In our daily lives, we must see how vendors take over our streets, closing almost completely access and preventing the passage to pedestrians and tourists, who oppress their deals, intimidate and even assault or rob miserably. ""At night the same thing happens, but with the peculiarity that certain women are added, which take over corners and streets, such as San Mateo Street, where prostitutes freely assail or tourists passing for it, taking advantage of the lack of police surveillance, "reads the text.

The town of Sant Antoni, say the signatories, "is losing his own identity to give way to disorder, chaos, insecurity, prostitution, peddling, drug trafficking ... where anyone who wants to circumvent and ignore the laws have to do open bar, laughing at everyone who spent years trying to work legally and providing jobs. "

The City of Sant Antoni, added, "must ensure the common good," but their inaction "hinders business and undermines the image of this tourist destination." As proof recall data Caixa Economic Yearbook published by this newspaper according to which in the last five years has seen disappear Sant Antoni 36% of their business.
"If you do not believe, you're welcome to shop around the town of Sant Antoni," Gutierrez explained.

.."
http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...antes-sant-antoni-piden-gutierrez/715655.html

Interesting thread. Personally I feel there is just too much hassle/trouble in the west end for your average holiday maker to be bothered with.

They need to get rid of the gangs and the prostitutes and tidy the place up. A few quiet seasons might do it some good tbh.

i was there last weekend , and only walked through the west end at around 1am friday night, and it was packed. Only went in one bar which was busy but the west end strip was heaving with bodies. Conversely we went in Plastik which compared to previous visits Ive made was really quiet. A barman told me they'd had a quiet summer, and San Antonio had been quiet in a lot of places. He suggested as others have on this thread, Ushuaia takes a lot of people from San An over to PdB. Walking round San An and the bay in general though I thought it looked really busy. If I hadnt read this thread prior to going I probably wouldnt have thought about it being quiet or not as the place seemed to be doing just fine.

All these mediocre reviews are getting me down. I'm going for the first time next week and it's like I already feel like I've missed out :(

All these mediocre reviews are getting me down. I'm going for the first time next week and it's like I already feel like I've missed out :(

You'll have a brilliant time mate - where ever you go. Some of the funniest nights are the completely unexpected ones. The good thing about Ibiza is that it is liberal enough to let those happen.

Make sure you explore San An, PDB and Ibiza Town.There is lots to offer in all three of these places and like many of us here you will find what suits you!!

Theres nothing to be down about! theres still loads of people to create an atmosphere, its only one street-ish in one resort in the whole island. That was my 17th visit and it was still great. You will wonder what the hell you were worrying about!

R.I.P V Club 2010-2014
v club is back from the dead (now run by koppas)... it's been rocking this week with the HRH road trip crew!

btw...
- surprised by the amount of prostitutes in the streets (and not only nigerian), seriously annoying! add to this the fact what used to be the hostal don juan has been operating as a brothel the last two summers... WTF?!
- and even more surprised to see, at this time of the year, various bars closed and with the "for lease" sign hanging from their doors: what used to be hogan's (35.000 a year plus 35.000 for the lease), what used to be the tiny london bar (20.000 a year), etc

this next weekend there's the local elections and the PP in san antonio, who present themselves as the solution to the problems (when they actually permitted/caused most of them!) are likely to win once again... too many people afraid of changes and too many interests involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back