2010 Review

WeLuvIbiza

A brief review of our 2010 visit to Ibiza, 29th August to 2nd September.

29th Had an early start to drop off the children and get checked in for the 9:30 flight from Leeds. Nice trouble free flight seemed to get us to Ibiza in no time at all, sun was shining on touch down. Checked into Playa Sol II and managed to snare a perfect room at the front looking right out to sea and towards Ibiza Town. Had failed to inform Shelley of the trouble with GPS group prior to the trip and forewarned her in the taxi from the airport. I need not have worried her as the apartment was spotless and the staff pleasant as ever. Enjoyed the balcony view having stocked the fridge and cupboards with food and beers. Had a few drinks in bars locally on the way to Ibiza Town; Llevant, Prince up as far as Couture (no music at all playing at all, a girl at the next table resorted to playing her IPod!). We learned a guy we had always spoken to at Couture had opened his own placed up the road; Comicbar. We called into Comicbar for a beer and said hello to Felipe before heading into Ibiza Town, managing to knock over our two (full) drinks whilst sat in Placa De Parc  Had a lovely time but the music seems to be even quieter in the town this year than ever before, or is that our perception / distorted memories? Talked to many wild and whacky people, ending the night around 4am.

30th Started the morning with a breakfast/ lunch at Monaco before a very lazy walk over the hill into Ibiza Town for a few drinks and to do some clothes shopping. Even lazier walk home having missed the ferry bus. Evening comprised of a few beers locally before heading to Bora Bora. I must say it was busier than I have known for many years and the music was great right the way through until leaving around 3am. Downside was Shelley visiting the bar with 20 euros, ordering two vodka Limons and coming back to ask me for another six euros to fulfil the bill! Sadly our crappy camera took some very dark pics from Bora Bora  Shelley had a conversation with a Spanish girl in broken English who was trying to explain girls could get a wristband for free entry for week nights into Space. What is the full story behind this free girls wristband?

31st Up much later than intended but got a hire car sorted and took to the ‘wrong side' of the road for the first time ever (Shelley usually drives). Shelley had wet herself howling with laughter several times before we arrived at Es Cubells, and I thought my driving was ok! Had lunch at Restaurant Cala D'Hort, I had steamed mussels, big mistake. Had a nice relax on the beach before heading over to Calla Vadella eventually heading home early evening. The timing of our trip was to fit in a Danny T night at Space but my lunch had me feeling like the grim reaper was knocking. Being sick ever ten minutes, the stench of the blasted shellfish filled the apartment. Once that had passed, every pee smelled like a barrel of rotten mussels, not pleasant. Eventually we garnered enough energy to head out for drinks on the way to Space. Spotlight tickets ensured the long queue was bypassed  Enjoyed exploring the club which seems absolutely massive these days, not having had a full tour round for many years. DT was late on and had a little spat about all the flashes going off as he started playing, eventually forcing him to come down for everyone to get their pics out of the way! His music was harder than Shelley had been expecting (her first DT live session) but she eventually got into the night until getting really poorly around 5am barely able to leave the toilet for more than five minutes  Shelley encouraged me to stay but I took her home to continue toilet sitting. Incredible that during a previous Ibiza trip, a visit to see DT at Space ended with me not even making the evening due to illness.

1st/ 2nd Both not feeling 100% but at least the mussel smell had gone! Last full day that involved another wander into Ibiza Town to have a walk around the old town and more clothes shopping  Ferry bus home and ready for the last night which was another walk into Playa D'en Bossa and drinks followed by another Bora Bora visit. Playa D'en Bossa seemed really lively this year and more eating places and abrs open than ever before. Met some great folks, talked and danced, ending the night around 3.30pm. Packed and left for England 

Footnote:
Never heard a single English voice in Playa Sol II during our stay. Heard very few English folks around Figueretas. There definitely seemed to be a lot more Italian and Spanish people around. Playa D'en Bossa was busier than we have seen at any time since our first visit in 2001. The music played at small bars and eating places around the figueretas and towards pdb area always used to be chilled tunes, now seems to be any old brit pop trash. We had to ask if they could change the music when we ate at Moorea on the final night, Shaking Stevens is not our idea of music to dine with! Overall a great break, wouldn't change anything other than having eaten at Restaurant Cala D'Hort

Also the Italian guy with the big mirror shades was still dancing away on the tables. My pics and vid of said guy are barely visible, only the occasional glint of his shades catching the lights can be seen!

Thanks for your review,glad you had no GPS troubles,a rarity these days!
A pity to get ill on such a short trip though,dry bread and water next time....
Yes,that area has changed a lot since places like Jabeque and Mira Mola were taken over,all the brits seem to have gone elswhere? I remember a few years ago when the Malacosta supermarket was piled high with 2 litre plastic bottles of Blackthorn cider,not anymore (a good thing I think)
Anyway,here's to your next trip 8)

A brief review of our 2010 visit to Ibiza, 29th August to 2nd September.

30th Started the morning with a breakfast/ lunch at Monaco before a very lazy walk over the hill into Ibiza Town for a few drinks and to do some clothes shopping. Even lazier walk home having missed the ferry bus. Evening comprised of a few beers locally before heading to Bora Bora. I must say it was busier than I have known for many years and the music was great right the way through until leaving around 3am. Downside was Shelley visiting the bar with 20 euros, ordering two vodka Limons and coming back to ask me for another six euros to fulfil the bill! Sadly our crappy camera took some very dark pics from Bora Bora  Shelley had a conversation with a Spanish girl in broken English who was trying to explain girls could get a wristband for free entry for week nights into Space. What is the full story behind this free girls wristband?

I was at Bora Bora on the 30th and it was my best visit of the week (got there every day but one) for the early evening session which is my fave time at BB. Checked out who was spinning and it was Alex Miles. He never fails to dissapoint, so much so I went and told him

Yes,that area has changed a lot since places like Jabeque and Mira Mola were taken over,all the brits seem to have gone elsewhere?

It seems to have changed markedly since we last stayed in that area (2005) right up to the Ibiza Town side of Figueretas. The little bars and eateries seemed so quiet and lifeless. I guess this is a lot to do with the music laws, spoke to two bar owners who had been busted for playing music. One of them was instead showing sky sports with barely audible volume and the other had a wii console playing on a big screen.

Going the other way towards PDB and it's a total different story, more bars have opened, new eating places and livelier than ever before.

We had a fantastic time, it was simply a surprise to see the change in that area.

I was at bora bora the 30th too..they crazy one with purple shorts and pink tshirt was me :p

did anyone has pictures of that night?

thx

Back