15-23rd July 2013 First time in Ibiza - In full ( Picture and text heavy!)

stevo7790

So guys, this was the first year I decided to bite the bullet and get myself to Ibiza.

I booked to stay in the Hotel Costa in Calo, about 4.4km south along the coast from San Antonio.

The hotel was booked for the 16th but because Armin Van Buuren wasn't playing on the 22nd at ASOT at Privilege me and my friend decided to go a day early and risk having no hotel for the first night.

A lot of my friends when asked about Ibiza just bang out about pulling, and yes that's all well and good but Ibiza means something else for me. Since I was about 13 something about Electronic music, Trance specifically has bewitched me, it hits a nerve and like any good song makes you emote.
I can't really sum up how I feel about Trance, it would probably bore the life out of you but the words 'White Isle and Trance' send shivers down my spine.

In all honesty I should have gone many years ago, being 29 I know isn't old but the scene and Ibiza in general has changed in so many different ways.
I wish I could have gone back in '98 or even 2000 but I was quite simply too young, it didn't stop me staying up late at night listening to the radio and recording live sets played at daft o'clock in the morning.

I had a fear though, a fear that I might be let down by the experience. Scared that if it wasn't as good as when I closed my eyes and listened to For an Angel by Paul Van Dyk, Cafe Del Mar by Energy 51 or 9pm by ATB then I would be devastated.

I digress, anyway... So I arrive at Luton Airport and check-in

, I have my headphones in and pounding my ears like no tomorrow, my phone was loaded with tracks to get me in the mood, 'Greece 2000/Letting You go by Three Drivers (DaBruck and Klein Remix), M-3ox ft. Heidrun - Beating of my Heart and more... it's 33 degrees and I'm somewhat calm, in my heart of hearts I know nothing is going to prepare me for the next week.

8:40pm arrives and the tannoy blasts out that our flight is ready to be boarded to leave at 8:55

Armed with my hang luggage only, stuffed with a few t-shirts, pair of jeans, club tickets, smart shoes and my wallet/passport we make our way to the terminal.
Paying extra for the first choice seats was a bit pointless but hey ho we got on the plane and sat in our seats.
Once we had taken off I decided to daydream a little, thanks to Ibiza Spotlight I had purchased all my tickets well in advance, barring Ushuaia to see Avicii on the 21st as my bank had become TSB instead of Lloyds and they kindly didn't bother to tell me. So my card was defunct, luckily we had plenty of money and I wasn't too fussed.

The itinerary was simple, 15th July ASOT at Privilege, 18th July VIP at Cream Amnesia, Sunday 21st Avicii at Ushuaia, the rest of the time was just anything goes.
I had some friends out there already and we have hoped to meet up, but as I had no way contacting them out there it was just a case of if we bump into them then cool, if not no problem.

During the flight for some reason we kept being asked questions by people as if we knew what we were doing, most seemed a bit miffed we had traveled light, were dumping our bags at a storage place in Ibiza town and going straight out, but we had come to party and party was what we were going to do.

At 12:15am we landed, I darted straight for the arrivals, I was looking for the Amnesia adverts on the columns. sadly there were none. 'But have no fear' I thought, I'll get a photo of the famous Eivissa sign at the airport, that had been etched into my eyes ever since I saw the video Hold You by ATB.
Horror! no sign, uh-oh I muttered, that picture would have been my avatar, my profile picture, my precious (umm... lol) ...Arghhhh! I took the opportunity to calm myself with a Cigarette and a bottle of water whilst waiting for a taxi, I had a cheeky laugh as everyone else on the plane was still waiting for their luggage and we had already left the airport :D!
As the taxi arrived and we jumped in I realized all I had seen of Ibiza was the pavement outside the Airport!
Little did I know, the adventure had just begun!...

We directed the taxi driver to Pica Pica (Ibiza Lockers), which is a locker style storage place, located in Ibiza Town. Loosely speaking it's on the way to Privilege, sort of haha!
It took about 15 minutes to get there, and cost us initially two euros for the first two hours and a euro every hour after. The plan was to dump the bags, go to Privilege, find a hotel in San Antonio for the night and then return to Pica Pica in the morning roughly spending 12 euros, a god send as we had no hotel for the night.
We ran in, literally chucked our bags in a locker, kept about 200 euros on us in cash, got the token to open the locker on our return ( this is important, rather embarrassing, funny, frustrating but also a lesson learnt, you'll see why later) and jumped back in the taxi. 'Privilege please!' we said in delight to the driver, who casually put his foot the floor and off we went.

I was in awe of all the billboards, everything was Afrojack this, Tiesto that... Alesso... Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren I almost went into cardiac arrest!! Sense overload.
Eventually Privilege came into view, slightly obscured by the shrubbery on the road side, but there it was that dome, light up purple, red, blue. Suddenly I felt weird, like I was slowly realizing what I was about to do, something over a decade of putting off could no longer prevent.
The time was 12:45am and we had just passed under the white arch and come to a halt in the car park.
I handed the taxi driver his fare and a tip, got out the car and closed the door. We headed to the top right of the car park just following a few others, we had no idea where we were going.. but it was the right way. Tickets at the ready we handed them to the door man who was stood laptop ready to scan our tickets... and that was it, we headed for the dome!
It was hot, I mean hot, I am a bit of a fanny in the heat lol and it showed. First thing I did was go to the bar, get a few over priced drinks and have another, but well needed by now cigarette.

We stood looking out, Cheshire cat like grins... we could ever so lightly hear a thump, you know the thump of a 120bpm track, my foot was tapping, I was getting eager to see what awaited inside. I looked at my mate, shook his hand and we both said 'welcome to Ibiza' in we went...

As we got in, the sheer size of the place overwhelmed me, a description using adjectives just doesn't do this place justice, it is massive, huge even! the stage was immense, 'A State of Trance' light up in bright white letters above the stage, two huge fans light up in red spinning either side and what I can only say looked like a CGI created fuse with electricity flowing through it.

I won't repeat what I thought but wow is a good summation.
It was still relatively early in the evening and it was bouncing, we made our way round from the right handside of the pool, to the left of the stage about 10 feet from the very front, plenty of space and decided to grab another drink. (Never did find a drink under 10 euros haha!)

At this point I had come to the conclusion I wouldn't find my friend who said he would be there. So i turned round to look behind me and to my astonishment there he was, we grabbed each other and just screamed. My friend who traveled with me just said ' what the hell, what are the chances of that?!?!?'.
After a bit of manic jumping around, the already decent trance pumping out from the opening DJ died out to silence, then the stage light up, Cosmic Gate came out to a rapturous applause and played a great set!
it was banging, really hyped the crowd up! I looked towards the back of the building and it was rammed! everywhere people jumping around, hands in the air. The atmosphere was immense.

Last edited:
A few disappointing moment like being offered pills and other crap that I am not into and seeing someone basically fit after gurning like a gimp for about 10 minutes. I soon got over it and carried on punching the air.
It got the the end of the set for Cosmic Gate and after a great send off, the club went dark, and the words 'Hello Ibiza' typed across the screen, instantly an ocean of phones, cameras you name it went up in the air, a chant of 'Armin, Armin, Armin,
build up to fever pitch' and then, there right in from of us, the man himself, the genius behind ASOT, Tuvan and the worlds number 1 DJ rose from behind the decks and after a lengthy intro which to be fair was a bit crap I thought, thumped out the W&W remix of his own track 'This is what it feels like', the place errupted, it was absolutely electric, everyone with their hands in the air, everyone facing the front... i finally knew where I was, it was what I had been hoping for. I know Trance has evolved a little some of it is almost break beat in style but nevertheless the next 3 hours I will never forget, well that was until Cream at Amnesia on the Thursday haha!
It was typical Ibiza now, dancers on the stage, guys on bikes firing off fireworks coming from the ceiling... at point almost Pacha like OTT but it didn't bother me, Van Buuren was almost god like, he commanded the crowd, 'Make some noise' he yelled, Privilege replied almost deafening me in the process!
Finally he finished playing the original mix of this is what it feels like, the crowd wanted more and he announced it was W&W next, to be fair what happens next I did not expect, but as Armin finished he came right across the front of the stage thanking the crowd, he got to where we were stood and my mate made a heart shaped hand, Armin saw it immediately pointed with four finger points to my mate, me and my other two friends and said 'thankyou' then bowed! I then got mobbed by all three of them all were in utter ecstatics.
As W&W came to the stage, I decided a cigatette was in order, i was dripping wet with sweat and as red as a strawberry. Outside wasn't any better but I felt that a cig would somehow help.
No sooner had I light it, I heard a sound from inside, a synth I instantly recognized, Jurgen Vries - The Theme, I threw the cig away and ran back in, I didn't really dance, more like just wide mouthed for the next 3 minutes. I couldn't believe my luck.
About half an hour passed and we all decided enough was enough and made out way to the exit. It was still dark outside and after a little deliberation which soon abruptly ended due to queues we got inline for a taxi.
We headed over to San Antonio and grabbed a pizza, I emptied my wallet on a table and realized I had lost the token for the lockers, 'don't worry about it' I said, oh how wrong I would be the following day.
7am soon clocked up and my friends decided to retire to their hotel.
Luckily there were two hotels just up the road and after arranging to meet at 2pm we found one called the 'Marco Polo' which was in all honestly like a scrubbed up tramp and 70 euros for the pleasure of 5 hours sleep! But it was needed and most importantly was quiet and cold :D

We woke at 11am both a little fresh, no hang over or headaches though, and in good moods. After a quick shower, checking out and feeling glad we had a better hotel booked, we grabbed some food and made our way to our meeting point.
The first thing my friends said was 'Boat party, tickets paid for, all free you in? Yes! I screamed, a few locals looked a bit oddly at me, but we need to go and get our bags, we won't be long.
So, off in a taxi we went. We arrived at Ibiza Lockers and after reading the small print, 'yay for charges' I said, all in all we were looking at around 100 euros for losing the token, 'my fault' I said to my friend who I could see was quite agitated. I rang the number on the information board and it rang then went to answer phone, it took seven, yes seven hours to get our bags. But we made a few local friends, one of them involved the police for us and in the end it got us the result we were hoping for. Even to the point where an acquaintance of someone I wont mention (probably the best term to use) came down to size up the locking mechanism.
In all fairness the lady who owns the lockers was really nice, and understood what had gone on. Apparently according to Spanish law (please dont quote me, its what I was told) if you advertise a number to call as part of a business then you must answer or return the call as it is part of the terms. You are breaking the law if you advertise your number and a timeframe to call for example between 9 and 5 and then don't.
In the end it cost us 40 euros, but not before she insisted on buying us both a drink and having a chat. I'd use her service again as it's unique but put the token elsewhere!
By this time it was early evening and we could finally check in to our hotel.
Another taxi later (this is a continuing theme here) we were in our hotel, the Apartment was alright really, not luxurious but it was cold and had a lovely view of the Ibiza hills towards the coast, plus it was only a few minutes walk to the beach.

We had missed the boat party now, and decided a small bar crawl on the street outside our hotel was needed, 10 euros and yet another new friend later we had got two 2 litre jugs of Vodka RedBull, 10 Jagerbombs and ten minging lime shots but its fair to say twenty minutes later we were both pissed haha!

My phone then rings and my friends have now finished on the boat and want us to hit the San Antonio west end.
So, off we go!

Last edited:
All I can say about the west end is manic!

It was quite simply nuts, we were hounded by large African women to begin with trying to wrap all sorts of stuff round our wrists, luckily being from up north in the UK means we know how to make it known to back off regardless of your ethnicity. Normally I'm quite laid back and chilled, perhaps sometimes a bit too relaxed, but this was only one of two times I really got annoyed and the only two times in a really long time, probably just because of their sheer persistence. Even the local prostitutes were happy to chat after we had said no, the one who gave me her number and said free whenever I wanted gave me a laugh, I have never been asked out to a dinner date before by a prostitute, the only reason I didn't go was in-case I got jumped by her pimp she was pretty fit!!
Once all that was out of the way, we hit a bar called the Boozer, ran by a former Londoner who iirc was called Tony,

he has known one of my friends for almost a decade he made us feel very welcome and got me paralytic on a strange half vodka, half blueberry slush drink in a pint glass.
All I remember after that was waking up in my room in the morning haha!!

Wednesday was a day on the beach taking photos

, trying some local food and then for the first time going to Cafe Mambo to watch the infamous sunset!
It also got a bit messy and I lost my cool with a few people.

We met up with my friends at the Ibiza Rocks restaurant

, and after eating what I can only describe as the biggest yet tastiest full rack of ribs ever! The Jack Daniels sauce rules.
Then we headed down to Cafe Mambo.

We bought a few cans from a local supermarket, and made our way down to the beach, well I say beach it's more rock but it's flat and the view out into the sea is stunning.
Sunset was around 7-7:30pm, it started to get busy around 6:45 so we positioned ourselves on the promenade about 100 yards up from Cafe Mambo.

We got chatting to a few girls from Birmingham

who were desperate to find somewhere to listen Drum and Bass and do a bit of skanking?!?! Where I come from that means something else, nevertheless they explained it to me in great detail.
The sun began to set and the clapping begun, one of the highlights of my holiday. No sooner had the sun set, I got stuck into one of the girls which was nice :)

From there we walked to the west end, my friend Rob knew a place that only played Drum and Bass so the girls went wild, we had all pulled and couldn't of cared less lol!
The place was called Sigma, you had to go downstairs and it was dead! The music was dire but these girls were doing all this crazy dancing and you couldn't help but join in.
I had developed a thing for saying yes to anyone who offered a wristband for one of the many club nights, I must had 8 or 9 by now and was beginning to looks like a gypo! Everything from Cocoon to Super Martxe, Pacha to Eden.
I soon got a bit sick of listening to the music in the club so went upstairs and outside for a cig. No sooner had I got outside my mate who I flew over with darted downstairs, 'not to worry I thought' anyway ... I soon got taking to all manner of people. Some pole dancer from Canada who's name when drunk passed my by so affectionately I named her Canadia. I did this for half a dozen people and seemed to help, we had Sheffield, York and Gayboy... well he sounded gay haha! I ended up in a cowboy hat with a blow up red guitar which for attracted many photos from other people, not sure where who ended up with them but they were like hot cakes everyone was after them.
Then one of my other friends said 'your mate is pulling your girl!' 'nah' I said, but oh yes he was, the girl I had been necking into for for about four hours, there he was. I walked up to him and in true Kevin and Perry style delivered a slap to the back of his head and calmly said ' What's up sad act?' he went bright red and tried to apologise, this prompted a barrage of abuse from my other friends towards him but it soon waned. To be honest I wasn't too bothered and I was far too pissed to focus. Plus the fact this lass was now being sick everywhere, it was more of a blessing really.
This got me talking to two other girls, who me and Sarge (mates nickname) spent the rest of the night with and had a hell of a laugh.
I still wasn't grasping names so was calling one of them any name I thought of... we ended up in Ibiza's only Welsh bar that wasn't run by anyone Welsh!
before I knew it, it was 5am and I was starting to tire a little but was having a great time

I went outside to chill a little, I can't have been out there more than five minutes when this lanky lad some over to me and starts chatting, asking me where I'm from. I said Middlesbrough mate, but live in South Wales now and at first he was quite alright telling me he lived in Durham, ironic I thought, I have a knack of meeting people who live close by.
Well, whatever he was drinking had by now gone to his head and he started to get aggressive, I'm not violent by any means but I turned to Sarge who had some out as he could hear the shouting and I said shut him up or I'm going to deck him, not the best thing to do like but he was right in my face and when I tried to walk off he followed. So as promised he was swiftly put on his arse and after a brief laugh with his mates they carted him off.

Part two to follow in this thread....

Last edited:
Part 2.

It was at this point my friend Rhys who decided girls I pull should be his girls comes over, my friend Rob has asked him or should I say rather Rhys asked Rob if he could dissapere for a bit with, 'yeh you two f*** off' was the only reply I could muster. I had forgotten my Bermuda shorts and the only shorts I had, had no pockets so I asked Rhys if he would keep my wallet in his pocket so I didn't lose it. I just said don't be long mate, and off they went, could have swore they were holding hands... these days you never can tell.

Myself and Sarge spend the next few hours with the two girls we were with, and after frequenting a few more places on the strip and drinking far too many Vodka Redbulls, we all headed back to... well in all fairness the next picture sums up what I can't explain haha!

Everything seem to blurr after this, anyway the girls had a great night and asked if we wanted to join them at their hotel the following day the San Remo that was on the Carrer Cala de Bou, 'Ofcourse' we said, we got their phone numbers and they got a taxi.
After spending an hour trying to get hold of Rhys and Rob, we decided they were either in bed with some girls, or with each other... either way I now had no of getting back to my hotel and Sarge let me stay with him.

I woke up on the Thursday morning about 10am firstly freezing cold, the hotel room had the best air conditioning I have ever felt, secondly a banging hangover and finally super excited as today was VIP Cream at Amnesia, the night I had been waiting to go to since school.
When I was about 15 I had a set of KAM decks and a mixer, they were shit but I had a ton of vinyl and for my birthday my dad redecorated my room and in glow in the dark paint, painted a big Cream logo on my wall, I used to spend hours learning how to spin in the dark with it lit up.
Paul Van Dyk was headlining and I could hardly contain myself.

We still couldn't get hold of Rhys or Rob, so we made our way back to the west end, and ironically back to the Welsh Bar where they did a mean English Breakfast. It has to be said I felt a heck of a lot better.
Sarge wanted to come and see my apartment, so we jumped in a taxi and headed over to it, reception gave me a spare key.
Whilst there with great delight showed Sarge thebar out the back of the hotel, it had these amazing signs showing amazing meals, when in reality all they served was burgers and panninis ( wow my auto correct wanted to change that to Pakistanis haha! ) it was quite amusing as you got to the cafe asked for say Chicken and the waitress simply said 'no' and pointed at the burgers and paninins. It was called the Bar Pirana.

After that fun was over, we decided to walk to the girls hotel, we sent a message to Veronica, not her real name but it was the name I chose at that point and said we were on our way.

Two simple facts of life for me are I hate walking, and whilst I like it warm, I dont like baking. So you can imagine how amazing I felt walking 4km in the middle of the day, I have never sweated so much in my life it was horrific. Saying that I looked like a typical brit a mile away haha!
To be fair the two girls met us at the hotel and said they'd sort out all our drinks as they were staying all inclusive. I think I spend more time pouring litre bottles of mineral water over me than drinking the stuff. To add to my woes, I asked them if they had any sun tan lotion, 'yes babe' they said. So outcame the factor 1, yes factor 1 and it resembled crude oil. 'Ah balls to it' I said and covered myself in it.
Well I fried quicker than eggs I tell you, I ended up flailing around in a terrible foam party in the end, which even I found funny.
We spent the whole day with them and had a great time. I then looked at the time and it was 4pm, we had been out all day, I needed to get back and sort my life out. I said to the girls and Sarge I'd see them all later. I was going to Amnesia with Sarge so said I'd meet him at the Boozer on the west end later on.

........More to follow.

Last edited:
The walk back to the hotel by myself was long, I was wearing flip flops and they were irritating my feet and kept coming off. I got back to the hotel and again had to grab a spare key.
I decided I was going to chill for a few hours, being super paranoid, I had hidden any cash up in the ceiling tiles in really obscure places, just to be on the safe side.
Before I knew it Rhys came back to the room, and I ignored him... it isn't nice falling out on holiday but then it isn't nice being technically stranded either.
It didn't last long really, Rhys was desperate to share his gossip from the previous night, I just said ' please tell me you got laid!' I didn't expect anything other than a yes really, he is quite a pretty boy but would rather pull your girl than find his own.
Instead of telling me about his own escapades he jumped straight in about Rob, ' Rob just spend all night chatting and didn't do anything!!' 'he told this girl he had a girlfriend but wanted to leave her' oops! I laughed, so did you sleep with the girl you met? 'no' he said, basically they both fannied out and spent all night chatting. Which is fine don't get me wrong but these girls were up for it apparently so I can't be sure what they did to upset them :p
Rhys wanted to make up for being a dick so said he would take me out for a meal, 'Don't get all soppy on me, I'm not Rob' I told him.
There was a huge Chinese restaurant called the Gran-China about two minutes walk from the hotel, I did notice that the difference in most places I went to between a dish with Chicken and the same with with Prawn was about 50%.
Wow, the prawn curry was unreal, and was pretty good value, I would recommend it to anyone staying close by and because Rhys paid for it, it was even better.

Anyway, armed with our tickets for Cream and dressed smartly ( Really...jeans in 38 degrees, get real Amnesia!! ) the time was pushing 7:30pm so we called a taxi and headed over to the west end.
We approached the west end from the top this time as it less hectic and there are no street vendors trying to get you into parting with your cash for bad fake goods.
After becoming quickly away of the price of drinks in the super-clubs and as I guess a lot of people would recommend, if your wanting to drink... then do it before you go. 100 euros in town can quite easily become 400 in a club and you get half as much.
We stayed at the Boozer until about 1am, again I was paying 8 euros a time for this Vodka and Slush drink, it cooled me down a treat, I almost felt normal, well... pissed but normal!

Sarge arrived about 9pm and needed to go and get a ticket for the night, so we left Rhys to hold the table and on the way found these girls that sell the wrist bands saying Cream 2013 etc I think they were about 3-5 euros each, so I grabbed one.

Once Sarge had his ticket we made our way back to the Boozer and to make sure Rhys hadn't run off.

The line up for Cream was Burns, Dirty South, Anthony Probyn and Calvin Harris on the Terrace and Paul Van Dyk, Eddie Halliwell and John O'Callaghan on the main stage.

I have to say Paul Van Dyk is one of my all time favouite Dj's/Producers... I remember seeing a live feed from the Berlin Love Parade and him playing For an Angel, and that has stuck with me to this day. I wanted to go to the Love Parade in Newcastle but it was cancelled because the the council were fairies and couldn't cope.
I also saw him play with the HR Orchestra in Berlin and that was unreal!!

At 1am we headed down to the bottom of the west end and over to the taxi rank, the queue was long! and people were quite happy just to queue jump. I think we eventually got on our way about 1:25am.

Amnesia looked on the outside just as I had imagined it, although it is a bit arse backwards, nevertheless this for me was the pinnacle moment. I had a cigarette and then we all walked round the back, which was the front haha and wow! I was happy.
(I will upload my videos and link them into my review, I'll try and to it tonight)

This is when Ibiza became Ibiza for me, I just turned into a kid.

We queued up at the VIP entrance and pretty much got straight in, it was heaving, I don't think the layout of the club was meant for the sheer mass of people trying to get in. We had to force ourselves through a single door type entrance to get into the Terrace and then luckily show the thumbprint that was inked onto the back of our hands so we could get up the stairs into VIP.
I'm not sure to this day why me and Rhys had thumbs down and Sarge had thumbs up, it didn't seem to matter so it didn't bother me from then on in.

Once up the stairs and finally in the joy of relative decent air conditioning you could see just how packed the place was.

Last edited:
That aside, the sound system was in full swing, Burns was some way into his set
, strangely enough he was just playing tracks, not fading or blending he would play one let it finish then play the other.

I was telling Rhys my opinion of this when 'thump thump' 'thump thump' my eyes filled, Burns finally got his act together and started playing Sandstorm by Darude, suddenly I was 15/16 again it was 2000 and I was listening to the Clubbers Guide to Ibiza 2000, if you remember it had the yellow Technics Watersport SL1210 on the front cover under water.
Well, mental isn't the word, the place went wild, unfortunately I didn't take any more pics here but I took a load of video so I'll get it posted up in the relevant place.
The lasers were in full swing, now this is what I call clubbing.

Burns eventually finished, I went to the bar and decided that 22 euros for a vodka and coke was fine! haha, came back to see Calvin Harris begin his set, the time was 3am and I knew PvD had just opened in the Mainstage area, but I needed to hear Florence and the Machine - Say my Name (Calvin Harris remix) and surely enough two tracks or so in, the unforgettable 'Say my name, as every colour illuminates, we are shining and we'll never be afraid again!' Hands in the air, everyone singing, what a moment WHOOOSH!! down came the freezing air, I couldn't contain myself, I just started laughing, it was unreal.

I looked towards the bar and can see Rhys and Sarge bouncing around, waving at me so I pass into the mainstage and there he is the old German Schemer, Paul Van Dyk, the mainstage is just as rammed but it seems up in the VIP more people are interested in Calvin Harris.
I soon notice the words to the song are actually being sung live, and the bloke singing is pretty much in front of me, again WHOOOSH! down comes the freezing air from right above his head and Boom!
Trance heaven, big screens on the walls with revolving Cream Logos, a huge screen behind PvD with his name spinning, what a night!

He is playing some stuff live with a keyboard, and it sounds amazing.

I was a bit miffed there was no wifi, I was desperate to send some pics to people. Anyway I am messing around with my phone and I see 'Apple Mac De G5 Pro' I thought sod it i'll try and connect, after a bit of tinkering (wink wink) I connect with a pretty much full signal, then my phone starts beeping, FaceBook etc I'm online, I show Rhys and Sarge and we all begin to wonder who's connection I have tapped into.
I'm looking around and can't see a laptop, then I do and I realise what I have done, I turned to Rhys and Sarge, it's Paul Van Dyks! haha! sure enough I seem to have tethered to his laptop. He has two laptops when playing but since I connected he is spending more and more time looking at one in particular, then one of the screens goes off and I decide that's enough of that and disconnect!
Whilst all this is going on I had been going down and standing where the dancers are on the balcony, and these girls come round with clear bags full of red flashing bracelets, well I was like 'ooh! shiny' so I got one :) happy days.
I went back up to the bar where Rhys and Sarge were stood and PvD dropped For an Angel
, what a moment! what a track! Rather than waste the opportunity I filmed it.
I'm looking at the balcony area and they have now cordoned it off with rope, I didn't know what was going on but there were loads of bottles of champagne coming out and all sorts. I get chatting to one of the lads and find out a prince of Egypt is having a party and all his mates are with him.
'Ah right' I said, I couldn't have really cared and soon forgot about it, Rhys had tried to get down to where I had been plain clothes security just said 'no'
There is a VIP area within VIP, but to be fair I had no problem and it didn't spoil my night in anyway, I was cool, could smoke and had space to breathe.

I have a little walk around and end up over the far side, pretty much level with PvD who is below still thumping out some awesome Trance, and there is a guy and a girl by themselves, somehow we all end up talking and this guy is asking me about what I do for a living and stuff and its just a pretty normal conversation. Until I asked what he did for a living... 'I am a Price of Egypt' he says... 'Bollocks!' I reply almost spitting my drink everywhere. He was deadly serious, and I kinda thought great I have started talking to the local nutter.
Anyway, he points at the bar and says 'If you don't believe me, go over the that bar and tell them any drink you want is on Azmir's tab.
So I gave it a go, I'm not a heavy drinker by any means so asked for a Vodka and coke, 'Azmir's tab please' 'ok' was the reply, well bugger me I thought, so I went back over to thank him, didn't know whether I should have bowed or some shit.
I said thanks and as I went to walk off he asked me where I got the red bracelet from, after I told him he just laughed and said I was lucky I had one, and that I could enter the now restricted area, welcome to his party.

From then until the end of PvD's set I spent toing and froing all over the place.

I wouldn't have been a friend is I hadn't told Rhys and Sarge about the tab and they were both getting stuck in.

When the next DJ started we decided it was time to try and get out, the queues for the taxis would be getting busy now and we wanted to get back.
We queued for a good half an hour, the illegal taxi drivers seemed to be getting a lot of custom even though a normal fair from Amnesia was just under 30 euros, these guys were charging 70+ but people still went for it.

We dropped Sarge off at his place and then headed back to our hotel for a much needed sleep.

More to follow...

Last edited:
A Prince!!!! A mate of mine once sh@gged a Princess, burnt his balls on the exhaust.

Nice honest drug free review - keep it going :)

@deepseadiver I'll never know if he was or not but we reckon we hit the bar for atleast 600 euros lol.

And the reason there is no drug content, is because I don't do drugs :) I'll carry on shortly, wait for the vids:)

@deepseadiver I'll never know if he was or not but we reckon we hit the bar for atleast 600 euros lol.

And the reason there is no drug content, is because I don't do drugs :) I'll carry on shortly, wait for the vids:)

It would have been rude not to!!!

No, i dont either. I ain't got a problem with those who do. But a lot of reviews on here can often lead into pointless waffle about "a guy who sorts me out" "The jags werent as good as the Fords" "I cant remember a thing"...........that type of stuff

My cousin died taking drugs when I was a kid, so I know first hand about the dark side, not to mention knowing my luck if I did it would probably kill me, So thats a no no for me, each to their own though

The Friday and Saturday we used to catch up on sleep, also my friends Rob and Sarge returned home on the Saturday morning so a few casual drinks on the Friday night were a nice goodbye and thanks for showing us around the Island.

Friday day, was the usual few hours down the beach, taking a few photos

I found a load of euros notes floating around in the water so we decided that we would sunbathe until they had dried out, which wasn't long, really sometimes it's best to think first before saying :D

After going back to the hotel and chilling during siesta, Rhys got a message from the girl he had met the other night, so rather than go with him I stayed in the hotel and had a bit of time to reflect.

At this point I would say Ibiza is stunning, if you think about it in terms of time, there are only say 6 months of the year where it is busy, the other 6 months its very quiet.
The north of the Island is practically barren, and in the middle of the Island its high hills have very little habitation.
It's nice to think that since the 60's when it all began to kick off in Ibiza some of these places have been left practically untouched.
Let's face it, if your between 16 and say 21 your interests aren't going to contain anything other than drink and pulling.

It rained for about 5 minutes the whole time we were there, the rest of the time apart from mornings up until 11am it was sheer heat.

I was glad I had so far done the majority of the hard slog, but I was beginning to get the feeling I needed to do more... it sadly wasn't going to happen on this trip, so at that point I would return for 10 nights at the same time in 2014. (I have booked this now, but staying at the Club Bahamas in Playa D'En Bossa)

Another thing to take note of is that the area I was staying is that's it's home to a lot of unfinished hotel shells, part of the financial bust Spain is going through. It's a shame they are just left unfinished. Normally I would think knocking them down to improve some views rather than high rise everywhere, but in Ibiza there is a lot of wasteland aswell.

People tend to and rightly so go to the same places year after year, the resorts, clubs, pubs, bars etc... so it's these areas that are the most populated and have the least empty buildings.
The rest of places where the hotels are located are simply to house the tourist population.

But what I tend to see was the further away from the main attractions you went the more sparse Ibiza becomes. This is where you start to get the wasteland, empty building and such.

When I go on holiday, I don't mind staying a distance from the main areas, I like a bit of peace and quiet, the expense isn't so much of an issue for it, its more about the time I spend wherever I go.

Anyway, enough of the worldly me, let's get back to the action!

Rhys came back late evening about 6pm, again it seemed chatting to girls for extended period of time floated his boat and that exactly what he did. I think deep down he was hoping to see this girl when he got home and didn't want to come across a typical prick.

That night we hit the west end hard and spent a fortune, most of the time we were in Tropicana, the Boozer and a few of the other bars not forgetting to mention Subway! a footlong was a nice treat.

We decided that once Sarge and Rob had dissapeared for the last time, we would just go back to the hotel and sleep. Which is what we did.

Saturday arrived,

It started with a shower, bottle of water and a cigarette on the balcony. I have said previously about the view, it was stunning, 3 peaked hills just to the left, left a lot of room for reflection.
The sun rose just to the right and the morning air was cool, it was quiet and my good mood had not frayed.

Rhys joined me on the balcony, we put some music on and for the first time since arriving just chilled, we knew where we were, had, had a great time so far and as we have done a fair bit of strolling around our sense of direction seemed pretty good, not bad since it was our first time in Ibiza.

A surprise knock at the door got us discounted tickets for Afrojack and Avicii on the Sunday, we were both buzzing.

Rhys wanted me to meet this girl he had been seeing and as Rob had now gone home, her mate was free.
Normally I'd have been well up for shit like this but I was chilled and just wanted to make sure I did as much as I could in the few days we had left.
I agreed to go, the girls were going to Eden for a foam party that night and Rhys said we'd hit the west end again. (I never got sick of going to the west end, but there are only so many times you can lick the back of an envelope before it stops sticking if you catch my drift)

This time we planned to meet in the Bay Bar, normally this is the place that Ushuaia has the pre-party for Avicii on the Sunday, as we already had our tickets, we had done a deal with the manager where if we got there early enough on the Sunday and bought one drink, we could use their free bus, have a meal and all drinks after would be free... not bad but it cost us on average 15 euros on average to get from our hotel to anywhere close to the west end or even San Antonio in general, Ushuaia was 35 euros, once we added everything up we just couldn't be bothered.
We started off the evening in the Bay Bar by having a few drinks and contemplating having some Shisha, this stuff was 60 euros and for the sake of some flavoured tobacco, we had menthol cigarettes instead lol!

The girls arrived about 8pm with the two guys they were staying with, Rhys was telling me that these two lads thought they were in with a chance with the girls and were annoyed that him and Rob had gone off with them instead. I'm not suprised though, these two lads were some of the dullest people you could have ever met, I have had better conversations with cats.
We spend a few hours with them, they were a little shy and the drink didn't seem to change that, after a short while we headed on over to Plastik for a few drinks before the girls left.
We then headed over to the strip for a few more drinks before calling it a night.

Sunday.

Sunday was Ushuaia! I'd been eager for a while to get my arse here, not that I'm a huge Avicii fan or anything but it was outdoors and it was Ibiza. It wasn't on the same level as say Ku (Privilege) or Amnesia back in the 70's, 80's with them being open roof, however is was still relatively new and if it was shite I could always go to Space as it was over road quite literally.

We had some food locally and got in a taxi.

It was a fair trek to Ushuaia, we pretty much travelled east to west, 35 euros lighter we arrived.

The first you see of Ushuaia, is the impressive tower

We had arrived a bit early, and not really having a clue what we were doing, you can soon see where everyone would queue after a brief walk into the complex

We where there even before they had rolled out the red carpet

Well since it all seemed open I said to Rhys, balls to it, should we just walk in? There was some music playing from in the stage area already Rhys simply went

And in we went :D

The line up should have been:
Avicii
Afrojack
Cazzette
Henrik B
Jakob Liedholm

But unless Henrik B was a transexual there was definitely a pair of tits behind the decks :p

At no point did we get asked for anything, I was upset we had bought tickets to be fair, but if we had been stopped we had them.

The first talking point of the afternoons festivities was a fight pretty much as soon as the doors opened, some tall guy and a ginger dude who was pissed out of his mind decided to have a slapping contest which ended up with them both being thrown out.

The first more notable guys to hit the stage were Cazzette, I had never heard of them before. Not really my cup of tea to be honest, I felt like a souped up chav who had just bought Clubland.
And the blonde haired dude just stood there and played with a single fader and his hair for the whole set!

AfroJack

As you will see from the videos below, whilst I'm not his biggest fan, Afrojack was pretty awesome, and he played my fave track by him which was No Beef.

No Beef

Gradually and I suppose quite sadly the night just seemed to get more humid and the crowd packed in even tighter, I guess this was due to the imminent arrival of Avicii. It seemed to become a micro America, the yanks properly invaded and you could tell!
Ushuaia is a phenomenal and they put on a great show, but it is no Nightclub... you seem to make a subconscious decision that it is a club, when it is just a mini concert.
The stage is fantastic though and the screens that display the huge images are incredible. Drinks were just as killer as the clubs and to be honest we didn't have many, not at 12 euros for a Redbull anyway.

Last edited:
Back