12 year old gored in the ring..

This title seems a bit creepy. Kind of something like Gary Glitter would be interested in reading..

It's 2010. A child shouldn't have been taught that baiting and injuring/killing animals for fun is an acceptable entertainment act.

The minute we stop accepting traditon as as a an excuse for barbarism, the world will be a better place.

Count me as a big fan of bullfighting and bull runs - the English seriously don't understand their place in folklore and trivialise the phenomenon by going all rspca on the subject zzz yes, the bull is doped but this is necessary to minimise injuries - NB/ the bull is also pampered like a king throughout its life

man v beast - it's a beautiful, elegant contest showing brutality in an aesthetic light - the pure drama of the gladiatorial theatre, the tension, the standoffs, the bloodshed. I can understand exactly why it appealed so strongly to Hemingway.

I don't however approve of the donkey getting chucked off the belltower - a trully heinous act.

Count me as a big fan of bullfighting and bull runs - the English seriously don't understand their place in folklore and trivialise the phenomenon by going all rspca on the subject zzz yes, the bull is doped but this is necessary to minimise injuries - NB/ the bull is also pampered like a king throughout its life

man v beast - it's a beautiful, elegant contest showing brutality in an aesthetic light - the pure drama of the gladiatorial theatre, the tension, the standoffs, the bloodshed. I can understand exactly why it appealed so strongly to Hemingway.

I don't however approve of the donkey getting chucked off the belltower - a trully heinous act.

Sounds like a fair fight to me Ollster!

If you want to speak for a bull, live as a bull.

It ain't all about us.

Hunting between animals on a David Attenborough docco is beautiful.

Hunting for the sake of a human ego and entertainment shows cowardice and a lack of honour for anything except power.

It's vile.

Also => Don't be so nationalist.

I wouldn't stand up and say "all Spanish people are Cnuts" because of certain aspects of the culture because i know that not to be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have argued this one for the ever (and an increasing number of Catalans are against it too - the Parlament was voting to ban it in Catalonia when I was last there - although the cynic in me suspects this is more a rejection of Castilian traditions than any repudiation of animal cruelty)

just seems to me people's traditions and heritage being assaulted by ignorant outsiders. Ultimately there may be some injuries but no harm is done. Are people seriously trying to tell me it is more barbaric than boxing - where is the class or elegance in that?

we've all watched too many disney films - there's way too much sensitivity about what are fundamentally beasts reared to die (or who in another life might end up on the dinner table anyway)

it's 2010 - so what? what should all those spaniards at the bullring be doing instead - going to Lewisham Shopping Centre and spending the afternoon looking miserable whilst having their brains turn to mush by lifestyle brands or actually celebrate their heritage, keep their villages and communities together in the way we so spectacularly failed to do in this country.

I went to the Fiesta Mayor in a small town called Betxi (near Castellon) in 1996 at the invitation of the Mayor's son who did military service with a guy I knew. He might have been partido popular, but nevertheless they really spoilt us at that meal with astonishing kindness. Next-level hospitality. The whole town was buzzing and unified by the bull-run. You get a natual rush from the whole experience, ducking and diving through those streets, nobody got hurt and there was no fallout, crime = zero, babies conceived. A trully beautiful, communal thing. You start killing those traditions, as is already happening, then something is lost forever. It isn't about animal welfare, it's about something far deeper, which is what makes Spain so special in a way foreigners just don't get.

catalonia-next-state.jpg

I know an army of Catalans who would vehemently disagree on that point.

seriously, It's PURELY political. Nobody in Barcelona gives a XXXX about animals. There's nowhere to walk your dog ffs! I took my cousin Raul's dog out for a walk once and there was nowhere to let it off the lead. there's hardly any local parks! and the dudes selling canaries, tortoises and monkeys on the ramblas in micro-cages are completely unregulated. Animal welfare really is quite low down the agenda.

In the manufacture of a nationalist culture there's no such thing as progress.

Fcuk tradition. It's nauseating.

This is an issue of respect.

Back