100 Greatest Dance Singles

I think that's a good balanced list to be honest.

Everyone's personal list would be different, but I agree with all the ones on there that i recognise (The Contours and Barabas are new ones to me - have to check them out!)

Reading down that list was good fun too, like skipping through much loved (but not played for a while) tracks on your mental Ipod.

Yup:

Travolta's stupid white suit/finger pointing dance & the Bee Gees etc = poor (white) man's disco.

It represented the beginning of the end making the disco genre look like commercial turd.

That film (along with lots of latent homophobia) also sparked the disco sucks rally which lead to cuts in radio airplay and the shutting down of 'disco' offshoot labels within record companies.

Suddenly a multi million pound industry had died on its ar$e - but in retrospect it was a great thing because everything went back underground.

The only sad thing is that with no big budgets, real instruments got shelved in favour of (Italo) electro synthy sounds...a) because they were new and trendy wendy but also b) because they were dirt cheap in comparison to a Salsoul orchestra.

...might be a bit harsh blaming all this on a film but it did have a mahoosive effect at the time.
Agree with you to a point. The underground culture of music let it be more creative. When it goes commercial you get formula songs just change the name.

In response to Stephen, I doubt people will be looking back on David latest mass-produced "songs" and calling them classics.

Gloria's music, on the other hand, is timeless. And no... I don't think it was considered cheese back then!

I agree 100%, alot of classic tunes become cheese because they get caned in clubs and on the radio.

I think that's a good balanced list to be honest.

Everyone's personal list would be different, but I agree with all the ones on there that i recognise (The Contours and Barabas are new ones to me - have to check them out!)

Reading down that list was good fun too, like skipping through much loved (but not played for a while) tracks on your mental Ipod.

The list did make me think where was I and what was I doing.

Completely omits Motown in the list which is a poor sign. Panders to the trendy or cool selections rather than the real dance classics. Also misses out on a lot of the 80's vocal classics like Depeche Mode and The Jam not to mention the rock influenced dance tracks like summer of 69 etc.

70's Disco is poorly represented..the Bee Gees? Disco Inferno was the No1 track from that movie IMO.

Where's Tina Turner, Presley or Chuck Berry???

the contours were a motown act and covered by that famous dance combo the beatles.

In response to Stephen, I doubt people will be looking back on David latest mass-produced "songs" and calling them classics.

Gloria's music, on the other hand, is timeless. And no... I don't think it was considered cheese back then!

like i say, i know nowt about today's stuff, but in the context of the year, 78, gloria's roller disco classic, was cheddarlicious in comparison to top dance tracks -jazz funk stuff like eddie henderson, charles earland, a very young prince, and the first chic/rap stuff, that was played in real dance clubs, not the top ranks and meccas of this world

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=ES#/watch?v=fMQaHSXlEDc

Last edited by a moderator:
cheddarlicious

Gloria performed at the Saint and the Garage - not many can lay a claim like that.

She was signed to Columbia before people knew what commercial was (in dance floor terms anyway).

She worked with 'the' Tom Moulton AND was known as 'the Queen of Disco' in 76 (voted by the National Association of Discotheque DJ's no less - not the Joe Average punter).

Cheddarlicious she was not.

Gloria performed at the Saint and the Garage - not many can lay a claim like that.

She was signed to Columbia before people knew what commercial was (in dance floor terms anyway).

She worked with 'the' Tom Moulton AND was known as 'the Queen of Disco' in 76 (voted by the National Association of Discotheque DJ's no less - not the Joe Average punter).

Cheddarlicious she was not.

I met Gloria Gaynor when I was younger. She was with Peter Stringfellow. It was back stage at a music TV show called Razzmatazz.:lol:

It was one of the most cheddarlicious moments of my life!:lol:

I met Gloria Gaynor when I was younger. She was with Peter Stringfellow. It was back stage at a music TV show called Razzmatazz.:lol:

It was one of the most cheddarlicious moments of my life!:lol:

Razzamatazz :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Lynn Spence and Alistair Pirrie - Theme Tune by Toy Dolls - Sunderland's Punk effort

Betty Babcock tongue twister

oh the memories... :lol:

Back