100 Greatest Dance Singles

The f**king Bee-Gees?

They've just sullied the entire disco era in one fowl swoop - Quite honestly I thought better of Dj History than that. :eek:

Daren't even mention Professional Widow and Born Slippy (UGH).

But still - a brilliant list.

I don't see how any list that contains Craig David can be classed as brilliant unless it's taking the p*ss out of him

Interested to hear Stephen's view on Frank Wilson too - possibly not the best choice for a Northern Soul aficionando?

Good list not a great list some of the songs could be deleted, but I think that the list is more from a UK aspect. The disco era had better tunes than the bee gees. Gloria Gaynor, Tavares, Barry White to name a few. I would leave off the dub-step and garage also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Jay, but think more 'OK list' than good and quite a bit would be better off it completely and substituted with far more suitables :lol:.

Art of Noise for example isn't even dance music :!: Art of Silence - Teach Me (Mantra remix) would have been a more suitable choice imo 8). etc etc blah blah.

well at least they've acknowledged that dance music was around before drum machines, though as they say, the list may not be definitive but could spark debate

i think many of the choices are the cheese of their time - i certainly never ever went to a disco where they played gloria gaynor, chicago, the bee gees and so on.

still love frank wilson though and have it on in the car lots, also got the version by chris clark, berry gordy's statuesque blonde secretary.

it was a huge commercial success, but then isn't david guetta?

sorry, i'm trying to put gloria in today's context, but know sweet fa about the subject

No Frankie Knuckles 'Tears' or Daft Punk 'Da Funk'? Disappointing.

Some great tracks in the list though!

it was a huge commercial success, but then isn't david guetta?

sorry, i'm trying to put gloria in today's context, but know sweet fa about the subject

I think it's more because you weren't sporting a tache, flying a rainbow flag and flailing around the saint. :lol:

Gotta have some Underworld and dubstep in there! ;)

Notable omissions for me:
808 State - Pacific State
Sasha - Xpander
something by The Chemical Brothers and Leftfield

There's a lot of stuff on there that, though great, you just wouldn't dance to.

well at least they've acknowledged that dance music was around before drum machines, though as they say, the list may not be definitive but could spark debate

i think many of the choices are the cheese of their time - i certainly never ever went to a disco where they played gloria gaynor, chicago, the bee gees and so on.

still love frank wilson though and have it on in the car lots, also got the version by chris clark, berry gordy's statuesque blonde secretary.

In the USA they were played, after Saturday night fever is when the cheese factor went way up. They would make disco version of any songs. I'm from the older set and saw of the alot of the oldies live. Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive" has become a wedding DJ must play but when it came out it was not cheese.

Yup:

Travolta's stupid white suit/finger pointing dance & the Bee Gees etc = poor (white) man's disco.

It represented the beginning of the end making the disco genre look like commercial turd.

That film (along with lots of latent homophobia) also sparked the disco sucks rally which lead to cuts in radio airplay and the shutting down of 'disco' offshoot labels within record companies.

Suddenly a multi million pound industry had died on its ar$e - but in retrospect it was a great thing because everything went back underground.

The only sad thing is that with no big budgets, real instruments got shelved in favour of (Italo) electro synthy sounds...a) because they were new and trendy wendy but also b) because they were dirt cheap in comparison to a Salsoul orchestra.

...might be a bit harsh blaming all this on a film but it did have a mahoosive effect at the time.

In response to Stephen, I doubt people will be looking back on David latest mass-produced "songs" and calling them classics.

Gloria's music, on the other hand, is timeless. And no... I don't think it was considered cheese back then!

Completely omits Motown in the list which is a poor sign. Panders to the trendy or cool selections rather than the real dance classics. Also misses out on a lot of the 80's vocal classics like Depeche Mode and The Jam not to mention the rock influenced dance tracks like summer of 69 etc.

70's Disco is poorly represented..the Bee Gees? Disco Inferno was the No1 track from that movie IMO.

Where's Tina Turner, Presley or Chuck Berry???

Back