10 years of cocoon..

Robi3249

Who was there at that the start and who thought it would last, honestly. I haven't been to Ibiza since 03 but still remember that first time, felt almost disloyal being a Brit and not going to Manu at that time (still went to the Carry On) but needed a change and always wanted to hear the legendary Sven Vath. Great night with a decent but clued up and mainly German crowd and have never looked back. Always look for something different, key to longevity imho!

Who was there at that the start and who thought it would last, honestly. I haven't been to Ibiza since 03 but still remember that first time, felt almost disloyal being a Brit and not going to Manu at that time (still went to the Carry On) but needed a change and always wanted to hear the legendary Sven Vath. Great night with a decent but clued up and mainly German crowd and have never looked back. Always look for something different, key to longevity imho!

I 00, 01, 02 and 03 i was too young (14, 15, 16 and you guessed it...17) to go and party and was more into rock than techno, house and all that despite i was living on the island the whole year...than came 2005 and met Makka (also on the forum), he changed my musical life, took me to cocoon, monza, underground and made me discover this incredible music...! I can't see a monday without going to Cocoon....its my home! Thanks Makka for introducing to this music!

it was a lot more international at the start, now it is mainly spanish who go there, it is the biggest party amongst all the workers in shops and bars of ibiza town, figueretes, etc, etc

it was also nowhere near as busy, a couple of thousand people, but it was a community and one of the only places to see carl cox. the production was also miles better, i remember the terrace used to have little wooden shacks on it where you could just chill or whatever. it was all much more relaxed.

basically it got huge because of minimal, which when that sound became popular, cocoon was one of the main people playing it.

the last couple of years the music has been great, but there is a lot of arrogant people who consider the only party on the island and minimal this, minimal that. it made me laugh last year that these people who said they'd never go to pacha, where there dancing to luciano play records that people sander K, trentmoller, even erick morillo were also playing in pacha.

in the early days, it was just pure techno and people knew their stuff. last year luciano played age of love, age of love and nobody got it, there was hardly any reaction. i was so shocked by this i nearly bought a drink.

still an amazing party but can't really compare to how it was, like comparing circo loco at the start compared to the last few years

it was a lot more international at the start, now it is mainly spanish who go there, it is the biggest party amongst all the workers in shops and bars of ibiza town, figueretes, etc, etc

it was also nowhere near as busy, a couple of thousand people, but it was a community and one of the only places to see carl cox. the production was also miles better, i remember the terrace used to have little wooden shacks on it where you could just chill or whatever. it was all much more relaxed.

basically it got huge because of minimal, which when that sound became popular, cocoon was one of the main people playing it.

the last couple of years the music has been great, but there is a lot of arrogant people who consider the only party on the island and minimal this, minimal that. it made me laugh last year that these people who said they'd never go to pacha, where there dancing to luciano play records that people sander K, trentmoller, even erick morillo were also playing in pacha.

in the early days, it was just pure techno and people knew their stuff. last year luciano played age of love, age of love and nobody got it, there was hardly any reaction. i was so shocked by this i nearly bought a drink.

still an amazing party but can't really compare to how it was, like comparing circo loco at the start compared to the last few years

As much as it bugs me when people rant on about back in the day and you weren't there etc lol I have to agree with Grego about musical and clubbing snobs. Minimal is my favourite music but I also love tech house, french house, acid, electro fidget, some funky house and old school house, god there are still some old trance tunes that I love My belief is that some people like minimal coz it sounds cool if you like the music many people dont understand, but they dont understand themselves the dark twisted confusing nature of minimal they just like it coz their supposed to and reject all other music incase its cheesey lol (please be aware that my rant is slightly hypocritical coz I hate the san an culture of fluffy boots hardstyle ibiza rocks and glowsticks) lmao

sorry...My point is that when I went to cocoon 4 the first time in 2007 I couldnt even move let alone dance because all the pretend, I'm in the cool gang, fake techno lovers were there!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
last year luciano played age of love, age of love and nobody got it, there was hardly any reaction.

Strange, maybe the crowd were too young to remember it?

I heard Sasha play age of love last year in Glasgow and the crowd went bananas - he then had cafe del mar playing through it!

It was one of those moments!

I went to Cocoon in 2003 and hated it, music was too hard and the terrace wasn't the temple of cool that is today.

Returned in 2007 and fell in love, but only with the terrace mind! Sven Vath will never be my taste

the first time in 2007 I couldn't even move let alone dance

This unfortunately is the reason I won't be going to Cocoon this year :cry:

I love dirty twisted techno, but my mates aren't totally into it (they're still trance monkey's at heart), so getting them to go to a club that's no fun for them is impossible. They're more likely to do Tiesto!!!

Cream at Amnesia was almost to busy for them last year and that's the kind of music they're into.

I've promised myself I'll goto Cocoon when I can afford a VIP table, maybe next year??

Back