Women in dance music...discuss!

How is what I am saying nonsense? What I have said in short is - Female DJs will play Ushuaiai and Hi over the season (correct) I have agreed that female DJs should not be overlooked but all my point is is they should not feel they have to pick a female just because they are female? But considering the amount of male to female DJs there actually are line ups will always be predominantly male, again a fact.

It's patronising.

These clubs obviously feel they have to pick male djs,just because they're male? Yes male djs far out number female DJs, but you can still reflect that. 5 - 1 or something it's not hard.

Perhaps not, but image plays a major part

Prejudice works both ways of course. I mean the number of times I clock a hunny about to jump on, and immediately assume she's gonna be a bit crap. :spank: :twisted:

It's patronising.

These clubs obviously feel they have to pick male djs,just because they're male? Yes male djs far out number female DJs, but you can still reflect that. 5 - 1 or something it's not hard.

You have answered why your first comment was a bit silly trying to indicate that female DJ's have it harder

I mean how many females want to drive a fire engine or fight fires or race a car or want to fight a war with a bazooka

Are there females fighting fires, racing cars and fighting our wars. Of course. Just a lot less of them for obvious reasons.

There are female DJs that are doing well and gender does not matter. Annie Mac for example?

trying to indicate that female DJ's have it harder

Trust me, they do. I appreciate that as a man, you might not be aware of this, but they do.

Jackmaster summed it up recently. He even admits that he used to think there was no problem until he witnessed it first hand: http://mixmag.net/read/jackmaster-has-called-out-misogyny-in-the-music-industry-news

I've had blokes (both friendly 'helpful' ones and tossers) 'mansplaining' to me about how to set up the decks and a mixer when out DJing, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do to a male DJ. Plus people being surprised that the decks & vinyl at home is all mine, rather than my husbands.

Until line-ups start incorporating more of a very talented female DJs out there, female DJs will be seen as rarities who must only get gigs because they look hot or are shagging someone involved.

Trust me, they do. I appreciate that as a man, you might not be aware of this, but they do.

Jackmaster summed it up recently. He even admits that he used to think there was no problem until he witnessed it first hand: http://mixmag.net/read/jackmaster-has-called-out-misogyny-in-the-music-industry-news

I've had blokes (both friendly 'helpful' ones and tossers) 'mansplaining' to me about how to set up the decks and a mixer when out DJing, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do to a male DJ. Plus people being surprised that the decks & vinyl at home is all mine, rather than my husbands.

Until line-ups start incorporating more of a very talented female DJs out there, female DJs will be seen as rarities who must only get gigs because they look hot or are shagging someone involved.

Gender gets thrown about as easily as the race card

What I do appreciate is that hard work, talent and some luck will get you where you want to be. On subject of DJ/Music. Plenty of female artist and DJs out there that prove it.

It's patronising.

But do they? Do you honestly think that a club sits there and goes right we are only going to have male DJs? No they don't all I was saying is when picking a line up for a party you are picking from thousands of Djs really and out of that there is a small percentage that are female. I would love to see a female waving the flag at an opening for a massive event or even just one on the line up but given the difference in numbers between male and female that isn't always going to happen. At the end of the day a line up is there to pull a crowd and when booking I'm sure 9/10 this is what is considered not have we got enough males to females on the line up

Gender gets thrown about as easily as the race card

What I do appreciate is that hard work, talent and some luck will get you where you want to be. On subject of DJ/Music. Plenty of female artist and DJs out there that prove it.

My point is that if you've not experienced it first hand, then it's easy to think there is no problem. This is exactly what Jackmaster said he previously felt in the Mixmag article above.

There are plenty of articles out there where female DJs at all levels say that they've had to face extra hurdles in getting where they are today. How many men DJing on Boiler Room, etc get offensive, frankly unacceptable comments posted about how they look or who they're shagging? Or people assuming that as a woman, you don't know how to set up your own kit? Like I've said, I've had this before and know of plenty of female DJs (including those at the top of their game) who still get it today.

we're thinking about the very same guy then I think. nowadays I hardly ever go to the sunset strip or ocean beach so I honestly just don't care.
Is it even worth going to nowadays? Sunset Strip that is.. haven't even bothered going for the last 2 or 3 years, it just gets so crowded, the music from each bar clashing with each other if you are sitting on the rocks

There are better places for the sunset these days, to be honest i'd rather sit on a quiet beach or cliff and watch with a bottle of wine and a joint than be amoungst all that rabble! :)

Shame really as I did really used to love CDM, Mambo not so much.. but i'm not up for paying club prices for drinks to sit and watch the sunset

My point is that if you've not experienced it first hand, then it's easy to think there is no problem. This is exactly what Jackmaster said he previously felt in the Mixmag article above.

There are plenty of articles out there where female DJs at all levels say that they've had to face extra hurdles in getting where they are today. How many men DJing on Boiler Room, etc get offensive, frankly unacceptable comments posted about how they look or who they're shagging? Or people assuming that as a woman, you don't know how to set up your own kit? Like I've said, I've had this before and know of plenty of female DJs (including those at the top of their game) who still get it today.

Thank you for your posts on this, but when men are writing comments like "What I do appreciate is that hard work, talent and some luck will get you where you want to be", then you know there's literally no point in talking about this shit. They have no idea and have no interest in learning.

Sorry to keep this going in the gossip thread... impossible not to comment I'm afraid.

I agree with that last post @aregandj

... but... by putting just one or two female DJs on a big event's line-up, that will make the difference. That will speed things up to more a more level playing ground. That is part of the change we need to make (as an industry). We all acknowledge that there are better females DJs out there than Francisco Allendes (as one e.g.) - so why have they been overlooked?!

It's too blasé to dismiss it as "the way it is". We shouldn't tolerate it. That is part of the problem: it's been accepted for far too long.
spot on - this forum is a bit of a 'brofest' too sometimes. Part of the problem rather than the solution...

Thank you for your posts on this, but when men are writing comments like "What I do appreciate is that hard work, talent and some luck will get you where you want to be", then you know there's literally no point in talking about this shit. They have no idea and have no interest in learning.

Sorry to keep this going in the gossip thread... impossible not to comment I'm afraid.
sorry but the blokes have decided this isn't relevant, let's move on

What a sad world we live in where we assume women must be crap dj's or women dont know how to set up/use the equipment.
There are many proffessions where you could argue till the cows come home that men are better than women or vice versa but playing records and making music is simply not one of them.
I couldnt care less which gender is playing the records as long as the music is decent

Back