Women in dance music...discuss!

my girlfriend was taking the piss out of me recently for being a bit 'autistic' when it comes to music and we got on to whether women are inherently less nerdy than men OR whether men are just more vocal about it. I think it was because for years record shops, lists, tech etc seemed like an ultra-blokey obsession and messageboards (this one too at times...) were pretty much exclusively male. But there have always been girl nerds in music engineers, producers who just don't get publicised - and the new wave of underground female DJs coming through is a really good thing imo because it is more about music and less about ego but the big clubs are still playing catch up
Thank you!!! This is pretty much exactly what I have been trying to get across I'm sure in a few years when the new generation of DJs has broke through and the male to female ratio is more equal line ups will reflect this.

Last edited:
The more female DJs there are on the circuit and who are playing at festivals and at big name parties (especially high profile opening parties), the more women will be encouraged to take up DJing and consider it professionally. Otherwise, we will never be truly represented.

Female DJs often find it harder to get bookings and to be taken seriously. You only have to look at the depressing comments on social media and on message boards when a woman does a Boiler Room/Mixmag Lab/DJ Mag Live/etc... set, when their appearance suddenly becomes an issue and they are criticised for things that most male DJs would never be ("she doesn't produce her own tracks", "the levels aren't quite right", etc...).

I like to think that things are improving as there are lots of brilliant female DJs out there and most people don't care about a DJ's gender, but speaking from personal experience (from my job as a dance music PR, plus also a promoter and a very casual DJ), there is still a LONG way to go.

More female DJs are taking up Djing, I DJ and I know an awful lot of people who DJ and the ratio of male to female is staggeringly equal now in my generation. So in 10 years or so I believe the market will have levelled out but in previous years the market has been saturated with predominantly male DJs, which is in no way right but it is the case. And yes I believe female DJs are treated differently but this again will hopefully change as more female Djs flood the market. Its CHANGE that's all, any change in anything takes time to adjust whatever it is.

I agree with that last post @aregandj

... but... by putting just one or two female DJs on a big event's line-up, that will make the difference. That will speed things up to more a more level playing ground. That is part of the change we need to make (as an industry). We all acknowledge that there are better females DJs out there than Francisco Allendes (as one e.g.) - so why have they been overlooked?!

It's too blasé to dismiss it as "the way it is". We shouldn't tolerate it. That is part of the problem: it's been accepted for far too long.

I'm not suggesting there is anything sinister about how that line-up has been booked - I'm sure it's entirely innocent - but it's indicative of a scene (and world) where women are constantly overlooked.

I agree with that last post @aregandj

... but... by putting just one or two female DJs on a big event's line-up, that will make the difference. That will speed things up to more a more level playing ground. That is part of the change we need to make (as an industry). We all acknowledge that there are better females DJs out there than Francisco Allendes (as one e.g.) - so why have they been overlooked?!

It's too blasé to dismiss it as "the way it is". We shouldn't tolerate it. That is part of the problem: it's been accepted for far too long.
Nastia would have been a good choice imho.

The more female DJs there are on the circuit and who are playing at festivals and at big name parties (especially high profile opening parties), the more women will be encouraged to take up DJing and consider it professionally. Otherwise, we will never be truly represented.

Female DJs often find it harder to get bookings and to be taken seriously. You only have to look at the depressing comments on social media and on message boards when a woman does a Boiler Room/Mixmag Lab/DJ Mag Live/etc... set, when their appearance suddenly becomes an issue and they are criticised for things that most male DJs would never be ("she doesn't produce her own tracks", "the levels aren't quite right", etc...).

I like to think that things are improving as there are lots of brilliant female DJs out there and most people don't care about a DJ's gender, but speaking from personal experience (from my job as a dance music PR, plus also a promoter and a very casual DJ), there is still a LONG way to go.

Are you Clara Da Costa by any chance?

I think it is absolutelty disgusting that there are hardly any male saxophonists in Ibiza. In fact I would go as far to say the likes of OCB and Hed Kandi are sexist as they only ever employee female saxophonists.

:lol::lol::lol:

all about lovely laura, but I remember a few years back (like about a decade ago) there was a long haired guy playing sax at café mambo.

:lol::lol::lol:

all about lovely laura, but I remember a few years back (like about a decade ago) there was a long haired guy playing sax at café mambo.

Remember a guy outside Savannah as well many years back. It was different and new then, just really annoying now.

Remember a guy outside Savannah as well many years back. It was different and new then, just really annoying now.

we're thinking about the very same guy then I think. nowadays I hardly ever go to the sunset strip or ocean beach so I honestly just don't care.

I think it is absolutelty disgusting that there are hardly any male saxophonists in Ibiza. In fact I would go as far to say the likes of OCB and Hed Kandi are sexist as they only ever employee female saxophonists.

Eye kandi for the plastic alpha males.. who attend their shit party's.

Back