Weekend Plans

Went to MoodRAW + Be Yourself Warehouse party last night thrown by HYTE here in New York with Nicole Moudaber, Danny Tenaglia & Gregor Tresher (from Berlin). Had an absolutely great night - partied proper until about 8am.

Brooklyn has really come into its own - this isn't a super recent development - but even in the past two years, lineups on major holiday weekends (July 4, Halloween, NYE) have been growing more massive by the year. Last night there were three Warehouse parties within three blocks of each other - HYTE + Disclosure/Tiga were on the same block and Gareth Emery was two blocks.

Might not seem like much to the folks in Europe but I'm thrilled that these parties have become a bit more regularly available. I'm sure with that will come either massive commercialization of these parties (if that's not the case already) as well as crackdowns from the authorities. But I'll enjoy while 1) it lasts and 2) I'm single/young enough to rave while I can haha

Went to MoodRAW + Be Yourself Warehouse party last night thrown by HYTE here in New York with Nicole Moudaber, Danny Tenaglia & Gregor Tresher (from Berlin). Had an absolutely great night - partied proper until about 8am.

Brooklyn has really come into its own - this isn't a super recent development - but even in the past two years, lineups on major holiday weekends (July 4, Halloween, NYE) have been growing more massive by the year. Last night there were three Warehouse parties within three blocks of each other - HYTE + Disclosure/Tiga were on the same block and Gareth Emery was two blocks.

Might not seem like much to the folks in Europe but I'm thrilled that these parties have become a bit more regularly available. I'm sure with that will come either massive commercialization of these parties (if that's not the case already) as well as crackdowns from the authorities. But I'll enjoy while 1) it lasts and 2) I'm single/young enough to rave while I can haha

Do these things not raided for drugs? I always had the impression that, post Gullani, possession of a personal amount would get you jail-time and that plus terrible prescriptive licencing laws killed things

Had an amazing night in Madrid for NY day. Luciano, richie hawthin, paco osuna, marco carola and martinez bros. Luciano was amazing, richie hawthin quite good. So bored when Marco played, couldnt stop looking at the time for his set to finish, then his last half hour was good. Paco osuna great too, cudnt stay for martinez bros knackered..but all the djs played the techno that luciano played and was great but all sounded the same with no change..
paying for it now, have the worst come down of my life and cant sleep cus paranoid and anxious...eek

Have little knowledge of NY/US clubbing scene. What exactly do they close them down for?
Violence would be understandable in this era.
Drugs? Here in the UK it is obviously illegal but most place that at least attempt to stop people entering or open selling seem to be ok.
Over crowding is often mentioned by Americans in relation to Ibiza's clubs compared to the 'fire marshals' not allowing it to happen in the US- who are these fire men?
Politics/money/housing seem to an issue in the UK. New York being hugely populated and expensive for property one would guess would be a problem.

Sounds like good nights in both NY and Madrid:cool:

I went to rainbow in brum last night, was brilliant. Alan Fitzpatrick and ben klock were on fine form, i was lucky enough to meet alan in the toilet where i was struggling to piss and ended up having a few minutes with him about life hes a top bloke.
Energy is always good in brum at techno events i wish we had any never mind more in nottingham.

Last edited:
Do these things not raided for drugs? I always had the impression that, post Gullani, possession of a personal amount would get you jail-time and that plus terrible prescriptive licencing laws killed things

I know there are a few other NYers on this board so hopefully they'll jump in if this is inaccurate...I'm a relative newcomer to this scene really (within the past 3 years).

You're right, Giuliani was a terrible mayor for nightlife - closing the down a lot of quality Manhattan clubs/parties in favor of cleaning up the city. But my impression is that once the scene shook itself off and moved to the outer boroughs (Brooklyn primarily), it's a whole new ballgame. Warehouse parties are quite a common occurrence actually - in just the past few months, Solomun + the Diynamic crew, Nina Kraviz, Paul Van Dyk, Luciano, Apollonia and a bunch of other DJs have played Brooklyn warehouse parties. This of course is in addition to parties with local promoters like Blkmarket, Resolute, etc. Main clubs like Output, Schimanski (formerly Verboten), and others are also in BK.

This isn't to say they 100% always go off without a hitch - I think this weekend's Tini/Bill Patrick party was shut down around 430am, no idea why, but when you're talking about DJs of this caliber being flown in from Europe they're utilizing the best resources they have and working with the authorities to ensure fire codes are met, pat downs are thorough, etc. It's also not like these raves are happening in the best neighborhoods - the NYE raves were held in a neighborhood ridden with crime and biker gangs about 40 minutes away from Midtown Manhattan.

Also, the current mayor has actually decriminalized/tone down a lot of "quality of life" issue, and personal drug possession (i.e. enough for a night out) is kind of in that gray area. People at the MoodRAW/Be Yourself party were definitely having a lot of fun...

Have little knowledge of NY/US clubbing scene. What exactly do they close them down for?
Violence would be understandable in this era.
Drugs? Here in the UK it is obviously illegal but most place that at least attempt to stop people entering or open selling seem to be ok.
Over crowding is often mentioned by Americans in relation to Ibiza's clubs compared to the 'fire marshals' not allowing it to happen in the US- who are these fire men?
Politics/money/housing seem to an issue in the UK. New York being hugely populated and expensive for property one would guess would be a problem.

Sounds like good nights in both NY and Madrid:cool:

Great nights indeed and thanks for reading/replying.

"Proper permits/licenses" seems to be the common reason listed - in fact most pieces I read seem to suggest Fire Dept. usually pulls the plug, not the police. I think that given the previous mindset about nightlife being a plague rather than an opportunity, promoters are more willing to play ball with the authorities now.

It goes in cycles. Right now, NYC seems to be holding its own with nightlife. Aside from the bottle service/EDM crowd, most clubs/parties for techno or house music are in Brooklyn. Williamsburg, the neighborhood most associate with the "cool" Brooklyn, is home to Output and a couple of other venues that, for now, they seem to be embracing. Just give it a few years, when all the millennials who moved there to be hipsters and be close to the party get married and have kids...

It goes in cycles. Right now, NYC seems to be holding its own with nightlife. Aside from the bottle service/EDM crowd, most clubs/parties for techno or house music are in Brooklyn. Williamsburg, the neighborhood most associate with the "cool" Brooklyn, is home to Output and a couple of other venues that, for now, they seem to be embracing. Just give it a few years, when all the millennials who moved there to be hipsters and be close to the party get married and have kids...

ha, exactly

incidentally, I got this book for xmas, well worth a read >

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/b...ts-a-kinetic-scene-in-the-early-80s.html?_r=0

Too bad I never got to experience the late disco period, junior vasquez @ sound factory or the more recent ibadan and body & soul events but my cousin DJs in Bedford-Stuyesant and says there are still good loft parties to be found. Output sounds pretty cool too.

Off to Ministry of Sound this Friday, to see Solarstone play an Open til Close set. 3 hours of his six hour set will be done using the clubs Dolby Atmos.
Should be interesting.

ha, exactly

incidentally, I got this book for xmas, well worth a read >

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/b...ts-a-kinetic-scene-in-the-early-80s.html?_r=0

Too bad I never got to experience the late disco period, junior vasquez @ sound factory or the more recent ibadan and body & soul events but my cousin DJs in Bedford-Stuyesant and says there are still good loft parties to be found. Output sounds pretty cool too.

Yeah now that I'm into the scene, I definitely want to learn more about the history of it, so I'll gladly check that out. There's a lot of great articles online about the old downtown clubs (Paradise Garage/Twilo and the like) and that was also one of the reasons I really wanted to see Danny Tenaglia.

Output is probably one of the best underground clubs in North America. They seem to draw the best talent/parties. Outside of Output, really I've just been to some one-off events both in Manhattan and the outer boroughs. I want to check out the new concept at Verboten (Schimanski) and there are actually a couple of new venues opening this year.

I also keep seeing Flash Factory in Manhattan attract some relatively good techno talent - I think they're trying, but I just haven't heard enough good things to go. When it opened, it was being written up as Manhattan's only underground club but since then they seem to just be booking whoever they can (they've had a bunch of mainstream hip hop acts + EDM DJs). That to me is a sign that they're strugglng.

Ok and what's a dolby atmos when its at home?

I've copied this direct off the blurb from the website, but:

Traditional surround soundtracks must confine all sounds to the 5.1 or 7.1 channels of a typical home theater setup. If a scene requires, say, a helicopter taking off, that sound has to be assigned to specific channels and mixed together with other sounds.

While that helicopter can move across channels, it can't go above you. You hear it only from the small number of predetermined locations defined by the speaker setup, not as you'd hear it in real life.

Dolby Atmos, by contrast, frees sound from channels. It's the first cinematic audio format in which sounds exist as individual entities, called audio objects. In Dolby Atmos, any sound—the helicopter, a car screeching around a corner, a melodic bird call—can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. They can be precisely placed and moved anywhere in your room, including overhead, to flow above and around you in three-dimensional space.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-atmos.html

Tracks have to be specifically written / updated to make use of this technology and shift away from channels, which Solarstone has been doing for his music.

Not sure if dj harvey had every tune of his he played re engineered for that??

Don't think many dj's have actually used it yet as it involves quite a lot of work getting hold of all the bits for each track. Harvey just played a normal set as far as I know.

Yeah it was tongue n cheek comment to be fair. Of course he didnt get tracks re engineered but everyone raved about the sound etc . Max Cooper has been doing some interesting 3d / surround installations but he wouldnt have the draw to headline the ministry

Back