The end of the West End?

I know some of these articles dont always translate well, but do they really think they can eradicate the bad behaviour with more and more decrees?

Culture change takes time, the hotels are getting progressively more and more upmarket and that will mean people who just choose the cheapest place to get wrecked abroad wont go to Ibiza (not that upmarket guests are always angels either, ive been to Puerto Banus...)

Also why do they think the Dutch, Italian, French and Swiss will all come to San An en-mass to do anything other than drink and go clubbing like the Brits do? Its not like they will be amazed by the mountains, wine and pizza!

I know some of these articles dont always translate well, but do they really think they can eradicate the bad behaviour with more and more decrees?

Culture change takes time, the hotels are getting progressively more and more upmarket and that will mean people who just choose the cheapest place to get wrecked abroad wont go to Ibiza (not that upmarket guests are always angels either, ive been to Puerto Banus...)

Also why do they think the Dutch, Italian, French and Swiss will all come to San An en-mass to do anything other than drink and go clubbing like the Brits do? Its not like they will be amazed by the mountains, wine and pizza!

Upmarket in Puerto Banus? Yes there’s cash but place was pure bling trash when I went. Worst wkd of my life!

My experience of resorts is that foodie places aimed at cosmopolitan Euro crowds generally cause a whole lot less grief, see also Corsica, Sardinia, the entire Costa Brava outside Lloret. Obv they’re boring for young party crowds but I guess that is the point..

Upmarket in Puerto Banus? Yes there’s cash but place was pure bling trash when I went. Worst wkd of my life!

My experience of resorts is that foodie places aimed at cosmopolitan Euro crowds generally cause a whole lot less grief, see also Corsica, Sardinia, the entire Costa Brava outside Lloret. Obv they’re boring for young party crowds but I guess that is the point..

Dont disagree, was just making the point that swapping tourists for ones with bigger wallets isnt a magic bullet. San An's unique selling points are its a party place with easy access to the clubs and a great sunset.

Its a concrete jungle jungle with a poor main beach (Cala Gracio is decent however) theres better places on Ibiza for people to go sightsee and eat, never mind competion from other resorts elsewhere. I think they are dreaming too much that theres a big new market that can be attracted.

Dont disagree, was just making the point that swapping tourists for ones with bigger wallets isnt a magic bullet. San An's unique selling points are its a party place with easy access to the clubs and a great sunset.

Its a concrete jungle jungle with a poor main beach (Cala Gracio is decent however) theres better places on Ibiza for people to go sightsee and eat, never mind competion from other resorts elsewhere. I think they are dreaming too much that theres a big new market that can be attracted.
I think this combined with the low occupancy of 4 and 5 star hotels in other resorts might make people think twice about pushing this too rigorously. Striking the balance will be tough, but although even two-three years ago I had a soft spot for the West End, even if I noted its short comings, now I'm fully in the camp that that needs to change. I think the business owners are slowly starting to come round to that idea as well

I think this combined with the low occupancy of 4 and 5 star hotels in other resorts might make people think twice about pushing this too rigorously. Striking the balance will be tough, but although even two-three years ago I had a soft spot for the West End, even if I noted its short comings, now I'm fully in the camp that that needs to change. I think the business owners are slowly starting to come round to that idea as well

I think the sign if the plan is working or not is if the new eateries and cafe bars they desire open in the next 2 years or not. Theyve completed the repaving of the West End, several historic party bars have shutdown, if it isnt going to move upmarket now it wont happen.

i just think SA should study the experience of rundown seaside towns given a new lease by artists and creatives moving in. That’s what rejuvenates places, not pitching at tacky high spenders

Attacting Digital Nomads might be an option, ive lost track of what Spain is doing with its long promised buy a temporary work visa thing. I know places like Croatia and Malta have been doing that for a few years now.

Working from San An would not be good for my career however 🙃

I think San Antonio still suffers from the legacy of Ibiza Uncovered. Many, many people still have the impression that the West End IS San Antonio, but that programme, besides being mis-leading and largely harmful is over 20 years old now. With the young people's tour companies gone not everyone wants the overstated tack of Ocean Beach or Ushuaia just as not everyone wants to drown themselves in cheap fizzy lager. The world evolves and San Antonio needs to evolve with it. Things have certainly been mis-handled. It would have made much more sense for the Balearic Government to lobby Madrid or the EU for grants or rejuvination loans instead of squeezing businesses in a vice like grip getting slowly tighter and tighter. As for law enforcement, couldn't the Policia Nacional or the Guardia send some (needn't be many) officers on secondment for 5 months over the summer? A heightened police presence on it's own would likely reduce the amount of street crime somewhat. Clear out the prostitutes, significantly reduce the number of 'looky men' and reduce the operations of the pickpockets to a much lower rate and you're at least halfway there.

I think San Antonio still suffers from the legacy of Ibiza Uncovered. Many, many people still have the impression that the West End IS San Antonio, but that programme, besides being mis-leading and largely harmful is over 20 years old now. With the young people's tour companies gone not everyone wants the overstated tack of Ocean Beach or Ushuaia just as not everyone wants to drown themselves in cheap fizzy lager. The world evolves and San Antonio needs to evolve with it. Things have certainly been mis-handled. It would have made much more sense for the Balearic Government to lobby Madrid or the EU for grants or rejuvination loans instead of squeezing businesses in a vice like grip getting slowly tighter and tighter. As for law enforcement, couldn't the Policia Nacional or the Guardia send some (needn't be many) officers on secondment for 5 months over the summer? A heightened police presence on it's own would likely reduce the amount of street crime somewhat. Clear out the prostitutes, significantly reduce the number of 'looky men' and reduce the operations of the pickpockets to a much lower rate and you're at least halfway there.

Agree with all of that.

Ive not been to the island this year but id stick good money that the same dubious characters who have been around years are still pestering tourists, it doesnt take great detective work to find these people.

Even 'decent' people can start to sink to their levels of behaviour to match the environment, if people are openly taking drugs in the street for example some will start to do the same.

Agree with all of that.

Ive not been to the island this year but id stick good money that the same dubious characters who have been around years are still pestering tourists, it doesnt take great detective work to find these people.

Even 'decent' people can start to sink to their levels of behaviour to match the environment, if people are openly taking drugs in the street for example some will start to do the same.
Second year in a row that ive encountered zero prostitutes in San An.

How’s the west end strip doing in august? I heard it’s the busiest month so wonder if it’s picked up. Always baffled me how August is the busiest when it’s the most expensive for Brits to go. Surely July would be more popular!

Back