New life in ibiza!!

Any more updates on this thread? ;)

Dan
Just this minute got back from our 3rd trip this season, 3 days in heaven great food , people , music. Back to rain in the uk.
No luck in selling our house so were going nowhere yet,
But on the plus side we have idea where we want to be house wise. Work we have some new ideas , so many hairdressers out there looks like that wont happen.
Sunset ashram closing was amazing proper party just wished I booked a table the food looked great.
Always next year.

Hi,
Like @Dan Gruner , I am following this post closely.
I'll be following in your footsteps so please share details (even if they seem mundane).
We stayed in San Antoni in October - which was magnificent, but I am told it gets too rowdy in the high season and too quiet in the low season. Advice is that Santa Eularia is idea as it doesn't suffer quite these extremes.
My plan now is to visit in Jan/Feb to see what that's like. I've posted a thread about doing a house-swap (Ibiza <--> London), will see what comes of it.

So @Vinyldreams, please keep me posted as to how your plans progress. We have two small kids (3 months & 17 months) so looking for similar things I imagine.

And hey Dan, mate - just do it! You're right, once family/partners come along there are additional considerations. But hey, of you're free and easy then the world is full of limitless possibilities... I'd say Go Fo It!

Cheers
Kath

Hi,
Like @Dan Gruner , I am following this post closely.
I'll be following in your footsteps so please share details (even if they seem mundane).
We stayed in San Antoni in October - which was magnificent, but I am told it gets too rowdy in the high season and too quiet in the low season. Advice is that Santa Eularia is idea as it doesn't suffer quite these extremes.
My plan now is to visit in Jan/Feb to see what that's like. I've posted a thread about doing a house-swap (Ibiza <--> London), will see what comes of it.

So @Vinyldreams, please keep me posted as to how your plans progress. We have two small kids (3 months & 17 months) so looking for similar things I imagine.

And hey Dan, mate - just do it! You're right, once family/partners come along there are additional considerations. But hey, of you're free and easy then the world is full of limitless possibilities... I'd say Go Fo It!

Cheers
Kath

Hi kath
Yeah will stay in touch, San an is a dump in my eyes, Santa e is so much cleaner. Closer to Ibiza town, some really nice beaches that side that have not been ruined like cala bassa!!
What are your plans for work? Do you have any friends who live on the island already?
My only concern about moving is my lad making friends , he has a very busy social life now, I'd like him to find some close friends like he has in the uk. I'm sure he will.
I have no trips planned so :(
As stated before (just need to sell our house)!!!

Hi,

I didn't really get to see the west side of the island much, so I appreciate your view about San. E.

I really enjoyed the south eastern beaches and small coves (Molli, Tarida, Cala D'Hort). I'm from Sydney so have very high standards when it comes to white sandy beaches ;) I didn't think much of Playa Den Bossa... So I'd need to re-visit and stay on the west coast to get a much better feel for that area and surrounds.

With regards to work, I am an acupuncturist and massage therapist. I did an undergrad degree (Syd, Aus) in Chinese Medicine and a Masters Research degree looking at acupuncture for anxiety and sleep problems in people who use drugs and alcohol. I have set up clinics in Sydney, Buenos Aires and now London so I have a good idea of the steps to go through when starting from scratch. I also run an online business selling online web seminars "webinars" so I derive a small income working from home. I really love both aspects of my work and love the flexibility of working anywhere - especially with two kids <17 months.

My husband is a Doctor (he's and Addictions Consultant Psychiatrist) and is developing an online app to help people who use drugs assess whether they might be running into problems... I am trying to convince him to quit his job with the NHS and base himself in Ibiza to really get a grip on the party drug scene. [We both take the view that people need good information to be able to enjoy and use drugs safely].

With regards to the family aspect, as mentioned our kids are really young so at a great stage to move. I appreciate your concerns as a parent about how your son will adapt. It's a big decision to make, but I am pretty confident that kids adapt and make friends really quickly and in fact it's us adults who are stuck in our ways...

We were introduced to Ibiza by our friends who have a villa there which they have owned/visited each summer since the early 1990's. So I am hoping they can introduce us to their friends, but I am wondering if there is a divide between "holiday visitors" and locals expats?

With regards to accomm. We are not going to sell our place in London, instead we're looking at renting it out and using the rent to find a place in Ibiza. I understand there are tax considerations about this, which I will have to investigate fully - but that's our 'safety net' if things don't work out and we want to return...

I spent some time last night looking for flights to return in late January... and was horrified by the prices! Any suggestions about how to get cheap flights and the carriers that fly from London to Ibiza direct in the low season??

Great to connect with like-minded people. Thanks 'Spotlight' for making this possible...

Cheers
Kath

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm moving my business over to Ibiza in November and it would be great to meet up with folks also new to the island. I'm moving on my own so the biggest worry here is making new friends and dealing with the initial first months not knowing anyone. It would be great to know how you get on with the move and any advice you can throw my way. Good luck to you and family, it's a great thing your doing. Suzie

Hey suzie
You still hitting it in November?

I now live in Santa Eulalia, been here since August. When we planned to move much like above we had to wait for our house to sell to do the move, didn't want to go back to renting while not being in the UK as did that before and hated it.

Originally we planned to move to just outside San An, Ses Paisses or Sant Josep, that general area, we'd planned that for almost 2 years. We had no intention of moving further north whatsoever, we just didn't think it would be right for us. However due to the timing of our house selling (June) we just couldn't find anything in the south, so plumped for a move to the north, and we took a house just north of Santa Eulalia in Es Canar.

Turns out, it was the best bit of luck going. Santa Eulalia is lovely compared to San An! Its still buzzing and lively even now we're getting towards the end of October. We popped over to San An last week and we're so glad we ended up where we did. I think for families its much better too, we have a little lad and theres an amazing pre school which he loves and parks everywhere for him to play on. It feels like a really nice little community and its a really nice place to be.

I now live in Santa Eulalia, been here since August. When we planned to move much like above we had to wait for our house to sell to do the move, didn't want to go back to renting while not being in the UK as did that before and hated it.

Originally we planned to move to just outside San An, Ses Paisses or Sant Josep, that general area, we'd planned that for almost 2 years. We had no intention of moving further north whatsoever, we just didn't think it would be right for us. However due to the timing of our house selling (June) we just couldn't find anything in the south, so plumped for a move to the north, and we took a house just north of Santa Eulalia in Es Canar.

Turns out, it was the best bit of luck going. Santa Eulalia is lovely compared to San An! Its still buzzing and lively even now we're getting towards the end of October. We popped over to San An last week and we're so glad we ended up where we did. I think for families its much better too, we have a little lad and theres an amazing pre school which he loves and parks everywhere for him to play on. It feels like a really nice little community and its a really nice place to be.

Now then acid great to hear you've made it, could you give us the name of the preschool I'd like to look it up on the web.
I'm in love with cala nova could you recommend any other beaches around that area?

Martin

Ditto - would love to hear about the nursery and what you like about it.
I'd also love to hear about the steps you went through to get there - anything you'd do differently? I like how you serendipitously ended up in SE!
Any advice would be great - my "action" list is very vague:

- Find house
- Rent house
- Move

: )

Our experience was similar to acidliam. Years of planning can never prepare for the final move. Rules and regulations of what is required for your various bits and pieces to stay here legally change from month to month. Schooling can be tricky in your chosen area, you can't apply for schooling until you have an address and empadron etc etc etc. Houses come onto the market and disappear within hours if they are priced fairly. Many people will disagree, but sometimes it is just best to get on and do it. Very hard to do anything useful from the UK unless you are willing to pay large sums of money to Gestors in Ibiza.

We never considered Santa Eulalia until the last minute and found a fabulous villa almost out of the blue, best decision ever to be based here.

KWinberry, saw your post re: house swap. If you haven't already, have a look for a group called ibiza winter residents on fb, and re-post on there, also ibiza houses for sale and rent on fb.

good luck

Hey, thanks for this @WeLuvIbiza, really appreciate your opinion and I share your "just do it" attitude. I am booking a trip back for late December/ January to get a better feel for the island in low season. I'll start making a few more plans then. I am hoping that by renting rather than buying, we give ourselves more flexibility... and I am planning to move around this time next year so hoping to find something with a 12 month lease. I've checked out and joined the groups you mentioned to get a feel for prices etc. Did you end up going through Gestors ?

Now then acid great to hear you've made it, could you give us the name of the preschool I'd like to look it up on the web.
I'm in love with cala nova could you recommend any other beaches around that area?

Martin

It's called El Arbol de las Risas which translates to the tree of laughter. The two girls who work there are lovely, we have to drag our little lad away every time. Can't recommend it enough and compared to UK childcare its an absolute bargain. Its babies in the morning, bigger kids in the afternoon, you can just drop them in whenever, which is a bonus, works well if you want to grab some food or go shopping and can't be arsed towing the kids around. They speak perfect English too if you're still not up to speed with Spanish.

https://www.facebook.com/ElArbolDeLasRisas

Beaches wise we really love Cala Pada, its nice and quiet compared to the likes of Cala Llonga, got a few little restaurants/bars on too which are decent, even in August/Sept it was never rammed. Aguas Blancas is nice, very popular with the locals and nudity is allowed if thats your thing ;)

Hi there,

Sorry for delayed response...it will be end of year now all being well :) just finalising admin things,,I'll know for sure next week...sign contract...cat vaccines blah blah.. How are you and fam getting on? Hope all going well folks.Pm back if you get this. cheers. Suz

Ps - I be moving to Santa Eulalia...any Santa Eulalia folks please PM and say hello...be great to be hooked up with musicians / vocalists anyone into making beats...thats my thing. Be great to record ya. I'll reply again once I've actually arrived and landed ;) NYE / Jan. 2014 x

Quick update not sold house but on the plus side hopefully getting made redundant ;+ )

Snap it right up! I was thinking the other day that with paying of debts, buying a car, travelling over, rent/deposit and general costs of moving and getting settled over here we spent £10k easily. OK so we did treat our first month like a holiday eating out all the time and getting right amongst it, but still, its not cheap.

Quick update not sold house but on the plus side hopefully getting made redundant ;+ )

Go for it :)

Best career move I ever made taking voluntary redundancy....

On a less cheerful note, rental prices for anything other than a small flat are going crazy atm. We have been to see some fleapits recently where they are wanting €1500 per month.

Go for it :)

Best career move I ever made taking voluntary redundancy....

On a less cheerful note, rental prices for anything other than a small flat are going crazy atm. We have been to see some fleapits recently where they are wanting €1500 per month.

Yeah I'm keeping a eye on some of places through Facebook crazy prices .

Hopefully sell my house then I have a option to buy if I want it.

The trouble is my house is worth 240k average wage around here is 20k most can't afford ;(

I'm starting to think more about work, can't be on holiday forever.

Fingers crossed we make it for the summer

That's the problem, landlords seem to think they can charge the earth for a 1 bedroom tiny flat! We were wanting a (small) house but unless you're rolling in money forget it!!! So we're in a 2 bedroom 1st floor flat....

Private landlords are the way forward but its hard work finding them. Agents charge stupid commissions. I'll be f***ed if I am moving until we buy.

Back