More Taxi nonsense

"...
Taxis pirates, a problem that has over ten years without solution
All actions taken by the institutions have failed to stop this illegal practice

Luciana Aversa | Eivissa | 11/08/2012
The practice of illegal transportation in Ibiza goes back beyond 1999, Pere Palau,
from vice president of the Consell, announced that it would "special interest"
in controlling the intrusion into the taxi industry.
According to the archive records of Ultima Hora Ibiza and Formentera in the summer of 2000
and the Ibiza Taxi Association expressed his fear of a new "wave of illegal taxi drivers
as happens every year with the arrival of the high season," recounted the story.

Since then, the problem returns faithfully every summer despite the different formulas
used from the Consell and municipalities. It is also noted the anger of the taxi drivers
throughout this decade took extreme positions on two occasions, at least known.
The first blocked access to the airport and the Amnesia nightclub in August 2008.
The second time was this week and the protest was to render service for two hours
at the terminal of Ibiza, also in August.

In parallel, during these ten years, the Consell and municipalities have tried everything
but with little success
Perhaps the most important has been the increase in seasonal licenses by the Consell in 2007,
not without opposition from the sector, which employers came to go on strike because they
wanted to share licenses with 50% of employees.
This year has been far exceeded and that municipalities are responsible for granting permits
and in some cases even doubled licenses, such as Sant Josep, which now has 140 cars on the street.

The increase in permits silenced criticism of the lack of taxis in summer that led to the
presence of illegal transport, but did not eradicate the problem by any means.

Information campaigns, open files in the Consell and increased fines not paid off,
since the umbrella of the lawlessness in which they take refuge 'pirates',
many of them foreigners, were allowed to accumulate records and fines without consequences
Even exconseller of Mobility, Albert Prats, once announced an agreement with the Ministry
of the Interior to 'pirates' foreigners could not return to Spain.
Neither worked.

And just continue to operate in different versions:
in organized groups, for free, rental vehicles, with own car, day and night, at the airport,
beaches, nightclubs, and many more.

Now a new decree of the Government at the request of Consell to immobilize cars
and bring fines of 6,000 euros for its withdrawal, a move that is filling the tanks of municipal
and private hire vehicles, which in some cases are being recovered despite heavy fines.
Let's wait and see if this new formula gives results.
Meanwhile, the angry taxi drivers is a time bomb that exploded
and this week with 'lying' to hundreds of tourists at the airport.

24 pay fines of 6,000 euros in Vila
The local police has frozen Eivissa 33 cars belonging to drivers 'pirate' from the middle
of last June, when the decree came into force of the Government which allows
the security forces of the municipalities of the archipelago immobilize these vehicles.

Of the 33 cars so far have withdrawn from deposit a total of 24, on payment
of the appropriate sanction, which amounts to 6,000 euros (4,500 euros if paid within 15 days).
Thus, there are still nine cars 'pirate' in municipal offices.
Drivers ready against by the local police in Vila are Spanish,
Moroccan, Romanian, Ecuador, Albania and Kosovo.

..."
http://ultimahora.es/ibiza/noticia/...as-problema-lleva-mas-diez-anos-solucion.html

Happy that no-one was injured. The Police are all over this aren't they, stopping cars they think are pirate taxis. Granted, it looks suspicious when people get out of the car quickly, but what if you're someone like Kimajy, who (from the review) picks up people hitching a lift at the side of the road? :?:

Happy that no-one was injured. The Police are all over this aren't they, stopping cars they think are pirate taxis. Granted, it looks suspicious when people get out of the car quickly, but what if you're someone like Kimajy, who (from the review) picks up people hitching a lift at the side of the road? :?:

It cannot be made illegal to give people a ride for free. The people who get in are inevitably Ibiza workers without cars/scooters trying to get to or back from work, or poor travellers who cannot afford a taxi and otherwise would have to walk dangerous roads at night (risking getting taken out by <inevitably> speeding taxis). Hitch-hiking will have to be made illegal also.... and perhaps Ibiza residents might like to comment on just how integral a part of Ibiza culture that has been for the last 15 years or so that I can remember at least where Hispanic residents and visitors are concerned at least.

PS - just to be clear, I don't hang around clubs or town centres looking for people to pick up and charging them !! I'll pull over in rural areas or on outskirts of cities to give people in need a ride for free, if I'm going their way. The people I pick up can usually barely afford a bus (or there are no buses .. or the buses have not turned up) and certainly would not be able to afford to take a cab instead .. even if there were any prospect whatsoever of one coming past that was available :!:

PS - just to be clear, I don't hang around clubs or town centres looking for people to pick up and charging them !! I'll pull over in rural areas or on outskirts of cities to give people in need a ride for free, if I'm going their way. The people I pick up can usually barely afford a bus (or there are no buses .. or the buses have not turned up) and certainly would not be able to afford to take a cab instead .. even if there were any prospect whatsoever of one coming past that was available :!:

:) No need to explain, don't think anyone reading your reviews would think you hung around waiting for 'fares'. I'd like to think if I was stuck somewhere I'd get a good samaritan driving past.

i´m always afraid that one of those bastids ****s me from behind especially in the highway-tunnels

"...
One thing that strikes me is the tremendous speed scandal that lead to the
island taxis everywhere surpassing the 120 and 150 km / h in areas 80 and less.
And above enslaving, crying and missing the circulating properly ...
and passenger cargaditos above.
Eventually produce some misfortune.

..."
http://ultimahora.es/ibiza/noticia/sucesos/ultimas/tres-heridos-colision-triple-cruce-cubells.html

I had to use a taxi a few days ago. It was the first time in 5 years and I was nearly bricking it just thinking about having to get in a cab. I had some cash ready to thrust at the driver to get him to slow down if need be. I was also trying to think of ways that I could use violence on him but without him crashing the car if he refused to slow down :lol:. I need not have worried though. He drove very sensibly. Even on the mountain road near our house where hardly anybody drives safely.

*** BREAKING NEWS ***

august-heatwave taking it´s toll -
brains of some taxi-drivers partly destroyed

:eek: :eek: :confused:

"...
Taxidrivers against mobile radars
Some taxi professionals denounce what they consider "tax collection effort»

J.M.A. / Ms. | Eivissa | 25/08/2012
The installation of mobile radar speed control in recent weeks various areas of the island,
mainly on motorways, has stirred up the taxi drivers who consider such controls
are set in sections that are not dangerous, in that there is no often cause accidents,
which would demonstrate a "pure tax collection effort" on the part of the Administration.

"From what I've heard, there is a nationwide campaign to control speed and we in Ibiza,
we have seen radars with tripod in some areas of the island," said Juan Carlos Mari Mari,
president of the Association of Taxi Drivers Sant Josep.

"Whenever we feel good for security, but often put them in places that are not dangerous,
as the airport road, and that's tax collection effort, because it is an area of ​​accidents," he added.

Spans

Similarly Mari Mari explained that another driver, who said last Tuesday installed a mobile radar
of this type on the road to the airport ... which, in his view, shows "a mere tax collection effort."

"We seem to be well fixed radars crossing the Santa Gertrudis and Sant Agustí,
which are dangerous spots where accidents often occur, but we do not understand
the highway of Sant Antoni, because there is no danger
, and less even understand
what we are doing now, because it is clear to install at that time in the Beltway
is to go for us, taxi drivers, "he complained.

According to this professional, mobile radar installed on the second ring road,
an area where the speed limit is 80 mph, fined 200 drivers who have passed the DEADLINE,
of which 38 would be taxi drivers ...

This same driver said some have hired professional legal advice,
as in the collective have doubts that they can be fined with a radar whose presence
is announced without resulting high to warn the driver that has been sanctioned
"You have to look quite right because the law has changed," he warned.

Taxi drivers spread this past Sunday to alert each other of the presence of radar
on the highway from the airport to the Can Misses height ...

..."
http://ultimahora.es/ibiza/noticia/noticias/local/taxistas-contra-radares-moviles.html

"...
... Sant Josep City Council has reported to 81 taxi drivers 'pirate' along this tourist season ...
Of those 81 vehicles, 65 are still parked in the municipal seal.
Thirty-four are private cars, while the rest, 31, are rented.
The Council ensures that the owners of the remaining 16 have been able to withdraw their cars
after paying at least half of the amount of the claim imposed by the local police ...

Almost all fines imposed by the agents amounted to 6,000 euros ...
Councilman Interior ... says many of the drivers reported are doing that activity for years.

There is the curious case of a woman from Romania who this season
has been reported four times driving four different vehicles
. :eek: :twisted:
..."
http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...taxis-piratas-temporada-turistica/575166.html

287.png

I know I mentioned it last year in this thread, but it's worth making the point again, what happens in this situation if you want to catch the bus?

"...
Municipalities accumulate about 150 vehicles seized pirate taxi drivers
The municipal reservoirs are filled car used to transport illegal waiting to be auctioned or become junk

The municipal deposits Island today home to 148 vehicles were used to transport illegal practice that were never claimed by their owners, taxi drivers pirates.
According coincide Transportation councilors Sant Josep, Jose Serafin Grivé, and Sant Antoni, Francisco Montilla, for illegal taxi it is cheaper to buy a new vehicle to pay the fine to remove.
Now, these cars hold pending municipal lots that after a long handling your future is the auction or scrapped.

The car started to build last summer, since early 2012 the Balearic Government at the request of the Consell approve a decree law that allows local police, the Guardia Civil traffic inspectors or immobilize the cars used to transport illegal , with fines of 6,000 to 12,000 euros, which can be reduced to 3,000 if paid immediately ...

..."
http://ultimahora.es/ibiza/noticia/...50-vehiculos-incautados-taxistas-piratas.html

wonder if anybody ever paid any of these 3000-12000-euro-fines ???

Why do the taxi's from the airport now go the "scenic" route to San Antonio? i'm sure it cost more too

But why would they do that? it certainly pissed me off because i was on my own so had to pay the whole fare myself where as my mates who arrived earlier in the day split it 3 ways, and they went the same route as well! also on 1 day, it cost 35euros to get back from Bora bora! again, the scenic route!!

Is the scenic route going left round past km5 then San Jose etc and coming in from the bay end? Is if faster to go towards eivissa then get on the highway that cuts across? Going the highway route still took us a fair bit of time

Back