Have Ibiza's Glory Days as a Dance Music Mecca Come to an End?

Between the afterhours ban, limited day parting, the club closing time crackdown, and Space ending/VIP takeover......the good stuff is slowly being taken away. Looking on the bright side, Ibiza is a lot more than the parties so it's still a great place to visit. But the clubbing side of it is slowly being destroyed imo.
I'm sure you know that less than 20% of visitors to the island actually go to the clubs. Perspective.

I'm sure you know that less than 20% of visitors to the island actually go to the clubs. Perspective.

This statistic is far from accurate. It's actually not possible to come up with such a figure without asking every visitor 'did you attend a club at least once?'

This statistic is far from accurate. It's actually not possible to come up with such a figure without asking every visitor 'did you attend a club at least once?'

You'd really only need survey a few thousand random people and would get pretty accurate statistics.

Put a few survey takers at the airport departures lounge and you'd have your answer pretty quick.

You'd really only need survey a few thousand random people and would get pretty accurate statistics.

Put a few survey takers at the airport departures lounge and you'd have your answer pretty quick.

You're assuming that everyone who gets off the plane would want to complete a survey. Hardly anyone. And then take into consideration who would be more likely. Well for a start I doubt anyone who is over for a quick 3 night bender would be doing a survey. So youre immediately excluding a significant portion of clubbers. The most likely people to do the survey would be people with time on their hands and a hire car waiting outside. Families or older couples going for two weeks. I could go on and on as far as how unreliable that number is but it would be very boring lol

Reactions: PP
how do you know?

I don't know but it's a very well educated guess.. Just because even the most carefully planned research on human behaviour is pretty bad. A couple of surveys handed out at an airport would yield so far off an accurate result. Just saying 'do you know the majority of visitors come to Ibiza not for the clubs' would be more accurate because that probably is true.

then you've got the likes of Fusion who go to five clubs in the same night. Is he counted once or five times?

I know you're joking but its a good point. When I started going 12 years ago we woukd be out 5 or 6 nights so would definitely fall into the clubbing bracket. This year my main reason for coming back (other than the general urge to come back) is to get one last visit in to Space before it closes its doors, yet apart from a couple of other low key things, most of the time will be spent chilling, going walks, eating nice scran - does that still fall into the 20 - 25%? The last 2 trips i didnt set foot in a club, so def in the 75% there.

How is that calculated?

Club X holds X + Club X that holds X + etc etc = X
Amount of tourists on Island = X

Then calculate the percentage from there?

You could argue though that even if people don't go to the clubs they enjoy the atmosphere and visit the island for that very reason.

If the clubs died out like the dinosaurs I'd say tourism would be hit a lot harder than you'd think.

well it's really only 20-25% out of all tourists coming to ibiza that go clubbing

I'd be interested to know where that figure came from.. and what research was carried out. But really it would only apply to the year that the study was conducted anyway. It couldn't possibly apply to this year because this year hasn't happened. Also they would have to conduct the study for the whole year, which brings the problem of a whole load of people in who don't come in the months of June July August September (ie when clubs are closed) skewing the results. And if we are to say that by only doing research on those months, the clubbers would skew the results I think it's quite simple to see before any in depth critical analysis, that the figure in question must be changeable throughout each month.. And not just by a little bit because I strongly suspect that 99% of tourists coming to Ibiza in November are not going for the clubs.

To put it concisely, you can't really put a figure on how many people are going to Ibiza for the clubs. Better off to just say - as I believe 'a lot of tourists go to Ibiza for reasons other than clubbing, many more than people think'. This statement is probably more accurate than the 20%.

What was the whole point of the 20% statement anyway?

I think someone was trying to say that no matter what happens to the music scene, Ibiza has far more to offer and that many people visit the island for other reasons. And then a social science statistic was used to point out that this is indeed correct lol

Reactions: PP
I think someone was trying to say that no matter what happens to the music scene, Ibiza has far more to offer and that many people visit the island for other reasons. And then a social science statistic was used to point out that this is indeed correct lol
Correct.
Some years ago I read that around 18% of visitors to the island go to the clubs, I don't know how that figure came about or how scientific it was. With the ever increasing amount of visitors it's bound to have gone up, lots of new young clubbers obviously (you only have to look at these forums). Whatever the actual numbers it's fairly clear that the majority are not clubbers; especially if you go somewhere other than San An or Bossa. You only have to look at an average plane load to see that.

What proportion of the islands income comes from those 20%?

Does the island benefit or does it all get put into pockets?

Plus you might have people who come for a West End/Benidorm type holiday (casting no aspersions) or visit Mambo/Savannah etc. but don't visit clubs...

You're assuming that everyone who gets off the plane would want to complete a survey. Hardly anyone. And then take into consideration who would be more likely. Well for a start I doubt anyone who is over for a quick 3 night bender would be doing a survey. So youre immediately excluding a significant portion of clubbers. The most likely people to do the survey would be people with time on their hands and a hire car waiting outside. Families or older couples going for two weeks. I could go on and on as far as how unreliable that number is but it would be very boring lol

my father taught statistics for 40 years at a major university - i know my stuff on this :)

you just have a few survey takers go down the queue of people getting ON their plane leaving Ibiza... do it a few times and make sure you include the offseason and you'll get a pretty reasonable % with just a few days work. You ask the people did you go to a club or not: yes/no... pretty sure you'll get close to 100% replies on that as it literally takes seconds to answer ;)

The hotels around San antonio Bay have alot of families in now i think. Last year on holiday a good majority was their for chillax with the kids. Kind of ruined the vibe for me as 2 years previous it was quite decent for the younger clubber. Even though most brits at the current time was their for the mainstream nights it was still abit of atmosphere around the pool.

Cant complain though I suppose when I first came to Ibiza i was no older than 8

Back