Gatecrasher is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point on the Pete Tong effect!

No idea what Tong's plans are, but he is LA based these days, and not sure if he plans to do a residency in Ibiza this year. My **guess** is that he will not have a residency in Ibiza. Maybe just the odd date e.g. IMS, Radio 1 at Ushuaia, maybe the odd night at Sankeys.

No idea what Tong's plans are, but he is LA based these days, and not sure if he plans to do a residency in Ibiza this year. My **guess** is that he will not have a residency in Ibiza. Maybe just the odd date e.g. IMS, Radio 1 at Ushuaia, maybe the odd night at Sankeys.

Entirely plausible
i just wonder if Gatecrasher might want to throw big money at him as his name would probably guarantee a big turn out

Angello and Tong (Both being Radio 1 these days) could perhaps have some sort of Bi-residency. Both big names that would pull in the crowds, being every other week or so wouldnt overly commit either of them. Infact a 'Radio 1' night wouldnt be that ridiculous with Danny Howard having a good few dates too usually. < All complete guess work and no doubt completely wrong :lol:

i cant pretend that I have a great deal of knowledge of the trance scene currently (been there and done that a lot of years ago!), but is there still a huge market for it in Ibiza? Obviously cream is packed to the rafters every week, but i would argue that the main pull of cream now (aside from the brand itself) will be the Calvin Harris. Deadmau5 bookings over the likes of PVD. I'm sure that AVB did well last summer but does his move to a smaller capacity venue maybe back up my view that the thirst for trance on the island isn't as strong as some believe?

Wasnt there a night in either Eden or Es Paradis last year that got all the trance heads excited and then flopped on its arse?

From the GC point of view - Angello has been mentioned for a night there. What is going to attract the San An hordes more, Angello or a pure trance night with say Oakie or Shultz (and thats not a dig at either of those DJ's). I know what i would be doing from a promoters point of view....

I think Trance in Ibiza is a very niche market. Most trance fans (from my take on the scene currently) would love to see JOC, Suckley, Kearney, Solarstone, Angry Man, Aly & Fila, Menno, Askew etc on the island every week. Is there enough of these people on the island this each and every week...no! Tis a shame but thats just the way it is.
  • ASOT - Not been for a few year but reviews on here suggest it is busy while Armin is on then empties.
  • Cream - Last few times i've been the terrace has been packed where there has been a little more room in the Main Room (Trance).
  • Colors - Es Paradis night - Flop
  • Judgement - Seemed to have a mix of trance / non- trance Djs last year
  • Full on Ferry - Some good varied Trance guests. Not sure how well it worked but should have been a popular night on paper.
Driftwood boat parties a massive success due to the small numbers and good quality guests. I think the Island of Trance week in september is the ideal thing for Trance fans and is the only time you can guarantee you'll get what you're looking for.

Driftwood boat parties a massive success due to the small numbers and good quality guests. I think the Island of Trance week in september is the ideal thing for Trance fans and is the only time you can guarantee you'll get what you're looking for.

And the Jet Ibiza week at the start of the season (June), but not even ASOT has started by then.

I think a good venue of 4 - 500 people is needed for the kind of Trance nights people want on the Island, or taking over a second room at another venue.

so to answer my question then - the demand isn't really there then? a 400-500 venue or room will cater for the demand....in which case it is no wonder that GC wont be putting on much trance!

the fact that the traditional trance nights on the island have either diversifed or moved to reduced capacity venues seems to back up my theory....

Sure Isle of trance are ideal. Im going twice this year though so early june just get me more time to explore other events for a change.

I think ASOT mainly move because they want the open air arena dayparty-thing.

You also got trance sanctuary that are doing a promotion. Early june? Or is it the same as Jet?

Who know how the season will be really. I bet Gatecrasher dont know themselves, hell they were asking on facebook a couple weeks ago. Said they would release lineups last week but so far nothing. NWP really should do a night though.

Trance for me were great last year really, you guys have to keep in mind that its almost dead in mainland Europe.

I know. lame about limited trance nights that is now down to just 1.
If GC wont do a trance night, then we are limited to Cream and ASOT and Driftwood so far

I know. lame about limited trance nights that is now down to just 1.
If GC wont do a trance night, then we are limited to Cream and ASOT and Driftwood so far
is that not about right though.....? trance is simply not pulling the numbers in on the island, so there will only be a limited number of parties.

so to answer my question then - the demand isn't really there then? a 400-500 venue or room will cater for the demand....in which case it is no wonder that GC wont be putting on much trance!
the fact that the traditional trance nights on the island have either diversifed or moved to reduced capacity venues seems to back up my theory....

Oh, indeed. You'd have to spend a shed load of money to fill one of the main rooms, with DJs on every hour, and they'd have to be big names (JoC, Aly & Fila, Kearney, etc). I think this'll be a quieter year for Trance, it seems to come and go in waves on the island. There's always Tropi in the west end if you want a Trance fix every night, haha.

You also got trance sanctuary that are doing a promotion. Early june? Or is it the same as Jet?
That's the Jet week, couple of promoters are doing it. Think hindsight are involved as well, can't remember off the top of my head who else.

Trance for me were great last year really, you guys have to keep in mind that its almost dead in mainland Europe.
Bar the big events, Europe is indeed struggling. But it's the same story in the UK. Too many keyboard warriors these days, not enough clubbers, with prices of even the mid tier DJs (Tyas, Kearney, etc) skyrocketing. You've got to spend an absolute fortune to fill a venue.

From my group of friends who are into Trance, they aren't bothered about the massive name trance DJs anymore (PVD, Armin, Ferry etc) because you can't guarantee 'proper trance' from every track they produce / set they perform. You'd essentially need at least one of those mentioned along with the likes of Joc, Kearney, Suckley each and every week for it to work.

My issue with the scene at the moment is that all the regular club nights, Rong, OTR, DS etc are booking the same small number of DJs on rotation. Not enough variance for the people who appreciate all aspects of trance and not just 138 upwards.

From my group of friends who are into Trance, they aren't bothered about the massive name trance DJs anymore (PVD, Armin, Ferry etc) because you can't guarantee 'proper trance' from every track they produce / set they perform. You'd essentially need at least one of those mentioned along with the likes of Joc, Kearney, Suckley each and every week for it to work.

My issue with the scene at the moment is that all the regular club nights, Rong, OTR, DS etc are booking the same small number of DJs on rotation. Not enough variance for the people who appreciate all aspects of trance and not just 138 upwards.

The big issue with that, is that promoters know for the most part, those names work. Where as the smaller guys can charge more than the established names, and may not actually have any pull. Much more risk involved.

Last edited:
But a for us trance fans, we need the one big name and that big name can bring the smaller acts who are harder (138+).
I remember i saw Infected at privelege with astrix and that bombed. And yet those two individually pack a place anywhere else.

A well respected long time Ibiza dj, tim Sheridan has very strong views against gatecrasher and its management. I think he's still to be payed for sets years ago...

Yes Ikoda great observation trance varies on the island. Some years it have been almost totally dead. Last year were great, this year will be under average. I think the promotors and package makers should do their own boatparties and maybe lease some smaller places for their crowd.

Most big events were i live and its the cellphone/camera crowd that attends. Really zero dedicated and real trance fans. Not to mention events are watered down like crazy with other styles. Small events pretty much no longer exists.

Yes Ikoda great observation trance varies on the island. Some years it have been almost totally dead. Last year were great, this year will be under average. I think the promotors and package makers should do their own boatparties and maybe lease some smaller places for their crowd.

Most big events were i live and its the cellphone/camera crowd that attends. Really zero dedicated and real trance fans. Not to mention events are watered down like crazy with other styles. Small events pretty much no longer exists.

I believe the Island of Trance crowd will be doing one, they have done the last few years.

Small events do exist, look at my own night. The big problem is, even the dedicated trance crowd don't support their local nights. You _have_ to put names on to pull people in. Gone are the days of residents nights. To be honest, any of my residents can play as well or better than some DJs in my opinion, and actually crowd read and match accordingly.

Between gatecrasher and privilege as the venue for ferry's night isn't it? Very quiet on the judgement front aswell at the moment, wonder wether gc plan to keep Jules on?
I see driftwood are announcing their line ups on Monday night at 8pm!

Very quiet on the judgement front aswell at the moment, wonder wether gc plan to keep Jules on?

Would personally be amazed if Judgment wasn't confirmed for GC seeing as he is a regular booking for their UK venues.

Can't see Judgment working anywhere but San An - so even if they were to find a new home, Es Paradis is the only logical alternative.

Do the trance fans agree?

Would personally be amazed if Judgment wasn't confirmed for GC seeing as he is a regular booking for their UK venues.

Can't see Judgment working anywhere but San An - so even if they were to find a new home, Es Paradis is the only logical alternative.

Do the trance fans agree?

HE hasn't had a Gatecrasher booking for awhile now that I've seen - possibly fallen out with them due to the very likely pay problems. He's normally pretty quick at responded to folks on twitter, not said anything about Judgement in Ibiza when he's been asked. Could be a sign he won't be there next year?
I'd of thought Es Paradis is more likely, I dont see Colors being back in Es Paradis this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back