Dance Music: Where are things at?

Sven review 2023

Dear Friends and Fans,

As I look back on this year, I see a world navigating through tumultuous times – a world confronted with war and sorrow, yet also with unwavering hope and resilience. In these moments, it's challenging to find the right words, but it's essential not to be overwhelmed by darkness.

I've learned to view the media as both a blessing and a curse. They open our eyes but can also distort our perspective. Thus, it's an art to find the right balance and not get pulled into the whirlpool of negativity. It's a challenge I face every day.

Amidst these turbulences, I've turned more than ever to the power of music and dance. They are my refuge and my strongest source of inspiration. Dancing and music unite us and allow us to find joy even in difficult times. The connection with you at my shows, the energy and love we share, are the true elixir of life.

I especially want to highlight the club scene, which has gone through so much this year. Clubs are not only the cradle of our music but also vibrant community centers. My thanks go to all club owners and staff worldwide for your tireless work and dedication. You are the heart of our culture.

In this rapidly changing world, where information and images flood us at a breathtaking pace, I experienced a fascinating journey through the festival world this summer. This experience was a kaleidoscope of colors, sounds, and emotions, deeply impressing and provoking thought.

At the numerous festivals where I played, I observed how organizers are trying to keep up with fleeting trends. Sometimes it seems that the true needs of the audience are pushed into the background. Some line-ups and running orders seemed unbalanced and ill-considered, posing a real challenge for listeners.

But there are also those small, lovingly curated boutique festivals that shine with great care and attention to detail. Their efforts for a balanced music program, creative art direction, sustainability, and fair pricing are a beacon in today's often commercially driven festival landscape.

This diversity of festivals and events is like a rainbow – colorful, varied, and full of surprises. It shows that in the world of music and celebration, there's something for everyone. It reminds us that despite the fast pace and commercialization, there's still room for authenticity, creativity, and genuine musical discoveries.

Reflecting on Ibiza, the island that holds such deep meaning in my life, fills me with a mix of gratitude and contemplation. The past 40 years there have been an incredible time of spiritual experiences, musical discoveries, acquaintances, friendships, romantic moments, visions, and even tears. I'm infinitely grateful that I discovered the magic of this island so early in my life.

After 20 years of Cocoon in Ibiza at Amnesia, I closed a significant chapter of my life in 2019. This year, I felt completely free and unburdened while playing for you. It was liberating to unleash my creativity and that of my team without the pressure of commercial expectations. Making this decision was important to truly bring to life the spirit of what we love and cherish.

Still, I must admit that I also had wonderful evenings in the well-known big clubs in Ibiza, invited by colleagues. These experiences, filled with good energy and support from all of you, make Ibiza what it is – a place of joy, creative unfolding, and collective celebration.

Musically, I'm currently experiencing a kind of flashback to the early nineties. It's fascinating to see how the young generation celebrates the energy and pace of that era, almost akin to the first rave and hardcore sounds of the nineties. Sometimes even those old tracks are explicitly played, or elements from them – the so-called rave signals – are integrated into new productions. For someone like me, who experienced, co-created, and lived this era thirty years ago, it's sometimes quite amusing.

However, I find that much in today's Techno & House scene sounds uninspired and formulaic. The same old house vocal samples and predictable drops... Functionality combined with loops and effects often just induce yawns.

But still: My record bags are filled with strong, multifaceted techno and house. A big thank you to all the labels and distributors for their excellent work in a challenging market. It's encouraging to see that young artists are also interested in vinyl and appreciate this medium.

With the "What I USED TO PLAY" compilation, released in an elaborately designed 12-inch vinyl box, I wanted to give you an insight into what I actually played as a DJ in the eighties. Then came the Catharsis remix album this summer with absolute killer remixes that you've all already heard in my sets.

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for your love of music and dancing together. Many of you travel far to do so. My thanks also go to my agent and my Cocoon team for their invaluable support and dedication. Stay healthy and in the groove – and sometimes also in float mode, as Laraaji & Kramer express on their "Baptismal" LP.

Let it flow. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Love ❤ & Peace ☮️
Sven

This may be where things are at. A chap spending his summer at nearly 40 hanging out in DJ booths in Ibiza to network before taking up DJing and apparently bcoming 'world famous'. No mention of his background or fomer employment.

"It was only a week into his DJ journey that an industry pal decided to hook him up with a warm-up gig for Meduza, which took place a mere three weeks after he had decided to become a DJ!"

(Google suggests 'Meduza' is $40,000 min per gig)

@The Sun God will love this tale of the little guy making it big, against all the odds!

This may be where things are at. A chap spending his summer at nearly 40 hanging out in DJ booths in Ibiza to network before taking up DJing and apparently bcoming 'world famous'. No mention of his background or fomer employment.

"It was only a week into his DJ journey that an industry pal decided to hook him up with a warm-up gig for Meduza, which took place a mere three weeks after he had decided to become a DJ!"

(Google suggests 'Meduza' is $40,000 min per gig)

@The Sun God will love this tale of the little guy making it big, against all the odds!

I thought it might be a spoof but no, 'Chapter & Verse' DOES exist. Skimming through, seems quite down to earth too, although you sense he probably comes from a digital marketing background. Some useful tips here anyway for anyone aspiring to become a tech house superstar...

I thought it might be a spoof but no, 'Chapter & Verse' DOES exist. Skimming through, seems quite down to earth too, although you sense he probably comes from a digital marketing background. Some useful tips here anyway for anyone aspiring to become a tech house superstar...

Have to say, seems quite likeable and not the Little Lord Fauntleroy I'd thought. And from Doncaster not Eton!

this is really good on the decline of Marco Carola from respectable techno guy to the laughable caricature he later became (true story kids)

no idea of what the “draw” is with him
probably not the only person looking at the article

this is really good on the decline of Marco Carola from respectable techno guy to the laughable caricature he later became (true story kids)

Great article, thanks for sharing. I was a big fan of his records (7th Question is personal favourite) and they were an essential purchase at one time. Also part of one of the best nights music I've ever heard at Bugged Out back in the day, along with Justin Robertson and Dave Clarke. Can't believe you can go from that level of credibility and build a massive following from becoming safe and shit. Surely loads of people already do that better? Fair play to him I suppose, 90's techno credibility doesn't pay the bills and more fool those paying a fortune to hear him now.

Is this true? Nobody getting mullered anymore?

To a degree. In a drinking town, it's noticeable how the night time economy has taken a big hit even before covid. The licensing laws have not helped, there were clear runs into town when i started going out circa 2000. These started at 4-6pm, all these routes headed to one area with bars open until 12am at the latest, then the clubs opened until 2am. The taxis and take aways knew where they sat in kicking out time. Then the licence allowed clubs to open until 6-8am. Supermarket beer prices v pub prices became crazy. People do not go out until 12-1am, the taxis and take aways do not get the same trade, older people do not want to go to dead bars or stay out until 8am.

At the same time, young people go out for coffee, waffles and food courts. Business owners have changed to accommodate this youth culture, i've sat with bar/club owners and traditinal shop owners who are being left behind - some get it, some don't.

The number of mullered people is decreasing, those sticking the course are getting more mullered 🙃

To a degree. In a drinking town, it's noticeable how the night time economy has taken a big hit even before covid. The licensing laws have not helped, there were clear runs into town when i started going out circa 2000. These started at 4-6pm, all these routes headed to one area with bars open until 12am at the latest, then the clubs opened until 2am. The taxis and take aways knew where they sat in kicking out time. Then the licence allowed clubs to open until 6-8am. Supermarket beer prices v pub prices became crazy. People do not go out until 12-1am, the taxis and take aways do not get the same trade, older people do not want to go to dead bars or stay out until 8am.

At the same time, young people go out for coffee, waffles and food courts. Business owners have changed to accommodate this youth culture, i've sat with bar/club owners and traditinal shop owners who are being left behind - some get it, some don't.

The number of mullered people is decreasing, those sticking the course are getting more mullered 🙃

I've now been out the UK for 8 years and it feels like it has changed so much! I haven't noticed it here where I am as much because although there are more daytime things like everywhere there was never that much of a drinking culture. As someone who grew up - virtually lived! - in clubs, it's weird how they're gradually becoming extinct. I guess each gen just adapts best it can

I like many oarts of Sacha Lord contribution to NW Club culture but there's a certain irony to his comments, when his nights are £50 entrance and £7 p/drink - no wonder kids cant go out midweek!

Thinking about it, I have two nieces, one soon to be 15 and the other 18 years old. Neither have been out drinking in town or talked about it, this is the complete opposite to when I was growing up - even the smarter kids and 'geeks' would go out occasionally.

There will always be stuff going on in London. People adapt, move on. There's always a railway arch, old church or light industrial estate somewhere. Plus all the demographics, different cultures and established scenes. But whether the kids still see it in the same way, who knows...

Back