#Brexit

Latest update - might be back tomorrow....
Came back Friday....completely empty of coolant....driver side door where the damage was is clunking when open or closed, they are picking back up tomorrow. They were excited to be able to give me a brand new Corsa as a courtesy car though :lol:

Ultimately you need to look at the UK now compared to 10 years ago and ask is it a better place and I doubt many would honestly say yes. Farming is screwed, levelling up was just a slogan, high streets are boarded up, fewer kids than ever are learning foreign languages or have option to study abroad, if you’re a young artist or musician you have no future, and the trains, hospitals, infrastructure are a mess. Oh yeah and immigration, how did that work out?

Obv not all these things are related and might’ve happened anyway but the sheer amount of govt time wasted on brexit took eye off ball where it mattered. The UK lost prestige overseas. The EU is imperfect and extremism is an issue but you see the benefits too. EU money has supported Barcelona’s waterway regeneration. Cornwall will watch with envy. It was primarily EU countries that stood up against Putin and Trump. Remember who the real enemies of democracy are.

On a personal level, 2016 was grim for us, unnecessary bureaucracy that wasn’t there before. A lot of serious stress. But having an EU passport means I myself can travel easily to/from France with no grief.

So maybe the word ‘disaster’ was misleading because it implies an overnight drama, whereas it was more a gradual drip drip erosion of the quality of life, and that of course never makes headlines..

Last edited:
Ultimately you need to look at the UK now compared to 10 years ago and ask is it a better place and I doubt many would honestly say yes. Farming is screwed, levelling up was just a slogan, high streets are boarded up, fewer kids than ever are learning foreign languages or have option to study abroad, if you’re a young artist or musician you have no future, and the trains, hospitals, infrastructure are a mess. Oh yeah and immigration, how did that work out?

Obv not all these things are related and might’ve happened anyway but the sheer amount of govt time wasted on brexit took eye off ball where it mattered. The UK lost prestige overseas. The EU is imperfect and extremism is an issue but you see the benefits too. EU money has supported Barcelona’s waterway regeneration. Cornwall will watch with envy. It was primarily EU countries that stood up against Putin and Trump. Remember who the real enemies of democracy are.

On a personal level, 2016 was grim for us, unnecessary bureaucracy that wasn’t there before. A lot of serious stress. But having an EU passport means I myself can travel easily to/from France with no grief.

So maybe the word ‘disaster’ was misleading because it implies an overnight drama, whereas it was more a gradual drip drip erosion of the quality of life, and that of course never makes headlines..

I think a big problem is the politicans have spent a lot of time on 'crisis' topics such as Brexit, War in Ukraine and now Israel and Covid. Time hasnt been spent on the usual boring topics like council budgets, how often bins get collected, pot holes and all that jazz.

As for Brexit itself I dont think we've been bold enough yet, there are some advanrages to be able to set your own rules but we seem to have gone for mirroring the EU's rules just with added red tape so far.

It seems odds on Labour will get in next year but whether they are offering enough change is the million dollar question.

EU money may support projects in Spain. But for countries that don’t ponce off their richer neighbours, such as the UK (second highest net contributor at time of departure), we got back far less than we put in. IMG_2627.jpeg

the money that previously went into the EU didn't really reenter UK economy though did it. Your Grimsbys and the like didn't see a penny. The coastal towns are desperate, full of alkies, junkies and asylum seekers. whilst the money lost via regional grants and farming subsidies royally fcked them over. And the European regulators that kept standards high and rivers clean are apparently the bad guys...

[Edited for clarity]

Last edited:
the money that went into the EU didn't really reenter UK economy though did it. Your Grimsbys and the like didn't see a penny. The coastal towns are desperate, full of alkies, junkies and asylum seekers. whilst the money lost via regional grants and farming subsidies royally fcked them over. And the European regulators that kept standards high and rivers clean are apparently the bad guys...
When the IRA bombed Manchester Tony Blair's government gave £1.25 million to the rebuilding of the city centre. The EU gave almost £30 million.

Incroyable.
The 2 countries with the highest number of tax dodgers.
Switzerland is paying loads without any returns. As not eu members.
Isn’t that their way of paying for entry to the trading bloc? Might have that arse about elbow

EU money may support projects in Spain. But for countries that don’t ponce off their richer neighbours, such as the UK (second highest net contributor at time of departure), we got back far less than we put in. View attachment 16904

EU money may support projects in Spain. But for countries that don’t ponce off their richer neighbours, such as the UK (second highest net contributor at time of departure), we got back far less than we put in. View attachment 16904
If a simple money in vs money out calculation is how you value membership to the EU it’s unlikely you’ll ever vote in, given the chance. It’s harder to place a value on trade opportunities. Reduced chance of warfare on an angry continent. Grants going to towns the UK govt couldn’t give a toss about because it’s not a vote winning issue.

Any updates folks? Anyone's position changed?

Keep seeing news articles that Spain and France are pushing to get rid of the 90 day rule for at least 2nd home owners as it's hurting the economy in some places...but of course the EU has one size fits all rules so not sure they will get what they want there.

Back